Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Single Element Chaos MFer... what element?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Immortal_King, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Immortal_King

Immortal_King IncGamers Member

Single Element Chaos MFer... what element?

Ok so I was just having an impulse to make a MF chaos running sorc with infinity merc, but I was coming up blank on what skill tree to use.

I was planing on something like

Shako, Tals amulet, Tals armour, Tals Belt, Whistans, Magefist, Soj, Soj, boots, weapon.

For weapon I've been debating among Occy (disgusting random teleport the main drawback) or else Hoto (no magic find) or even an infinity!?.

For boots I was really thinking of using Cow Kings boots for fun since I just got ahold of a pair, but then good old War Travs or Waterwalks also factor in.

I've been leaning towards a Frozen Orb/Energy Shield build since it would be insanely hard to die with such a build, but killing speed might be a problem and then there is the issue of needing infinity + lower res to break Curser Knight immunity. Also I'm a lazy guy and being able to survive without too much effort is always good for PvM while I read.

Fire immunities seem to be broken pretty easily, but the pack of barlogs seems a bit dangerous to be using pure fire ever in the Chaos.

And finally lightning which seems like everyone is using these days so it must be good eh? Never played one so I know nothing about them.

Anyone got any MF chaos runner ideas that have good killing speed and good MF (without using like 35 charms cuz it's starting to annoy me carrying it all).

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Your best chance to break immunities with almost all monsters, is with Lightning immunes.

Both fire and cold immunes can have higher amount of immune monsters that are unbreakable.

That is also the main reason why Lightning + Infinity is played foremost.

3. Evah

Evah IncGamers Member

also infinity has -% lit res on it. so go lightning and take ur infy as a weapon.

4. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Or if your rich enough ...carry a sorc infinity on switch when running chaos for lightning immunes and to save resurrecting your merc when he falls to iron maiden.

5. Immortal_King

In that case what is the typical gear for a lightning MF sorc in chaos runs? Infinity removes ability to have shield or Occy/Hoto so I lose a large amount of skills and res and magic find. I've seen no such guide for a char so does anyone have any personal insights they'd like to share?

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Aehm, there is the Infinity Nova Guide by Xenon. Look it up in the library. Variation sof that might fit your needs.

7. Immortal_King

I read it actually but it seems aimed more towards PvP than PvM.

The main question I guess I had was that without a FCR weapon I'll only have magefists and tals pieces giving me FCR.

8. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

No, you can use arach, vipermagi, FCR amy, rings and griffon's to help you. It gets pretty item dependant but you can still hit the 105% FCR breakpoint without sacrificing too much

Infininty
    Magefists - 20% FCR
    Arachnids Mesh - 20% FCR
    Up'd Vipermagi - 30% FCR
    Griffons - 25% FCR
    Fast Cast Ammy - 10% Fast Cast
    2x SOJ's
    Boots? (whatever you want, War Trav's are popular for the MF)
    Total = 105% Fast cast - perfect for nova

You'll have to make/buy a godly +2 skills/10 FCR/+resist all amy or else you'll loose skills, but it should be a awsome build. You'll be stuck with lower resists and MF, but you can make that up in charms if you want. The damage and -enemy lightning resist should give you some awsome killing speed which kinda makes up for it.

If you want to avoid carrying the infinity yourself, it gets much easier. You could always do

Full Tal - 50% FCR
    Perfect Spirit - 35% FCR
    Magefists - 20% FCR
    2x SOJ's
    total = 105% fast cast and you have more resists and MF, but much less -enemy lightning resistance

I think the "standard" nova/lightning/chain-lightning build goes something like this

Eschuta/Hoto - 40% FCR
    Lidless/Spirit - 20%/25-35% FCR
    CoH
    Griffons - 25% FCR
    Magefist - 20% FCR
    Arachnids - 20% FCR
    Mara's/Crafted +2 Sorc Ammy
    2x SOJ's
    total = 125-140% FCR depending on shield choice. You also get good resists from the CoH and lots of + skills.
    *edit - there's also room for an occy here if you want some more MF, but I'd prefer Eschuta or Hoto myself

*afterthought
    I wouldn't recomend doing the partial tal + shako & occy thing. Without the full set bonuses tal pieces aren't that great. Either go full tal, or drop it all for runewords. The exception to this might be the B Tal's armor that are becomming popular now, but those are all duped and hacked from old patches = I'd avoid them.

Sit down with pen and paper and compare the +skills, resistance, +life/mana, MF and -enemy resistance for all the builds. You'll probably need a skill/damage calculator to actually crunch the numbers - but when you do, you'll see that partial tal's comes up lacking. Then it comes down to full tal or runewords. Of course all this assumes you can afford all this gear, and a lot of it isn't cheap.

9. Immortal_King

I've always liked the 3 tals pieces since it gives great MF + decent survivability. Runewords are certainly no problem since I play East Ladder ^_^;

So something like

Nigma
    Shako
    Maras

etc would give me better power and longevity but I really get hosed in the MF dept. I guess I could attempt to get a Griffons and all the godlies and see how it works.

10. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

All I was suggesting is carrying the infinity on your sorc on switch in case you run into lightning immunes.Then use your standard light sorc/mf gear as you normally would.Chaos is a bad place to rely on merc due to the 100% chance to find oblivion knights and iron maiden.

This will mean no cta on switch but Im only suggesting using this for places where you'd commonly find oblivion knights...and like I said if youre rich enough to make another infinity just for your sorc..mine has infinity on sorc and infinity on merc but I only use the sorc infinity at particular times.

11. Immortal_King

Yeah that could work I guess. I never use CTA on switch it's rude.

12. MageChick

3 piece tal's is ok, but even for single tree builds (lightning in this case) the full set is still better for a well rouned char (damage, MF and survivability). You'll loose a few skills, but the 50% resist all bonus and the -enemy resistace on the tal orb make up for it.

Full Tal > partial Tal + shako + occy.

Now if you decide to scrap the whole Tal set thing, then you can do better for single tree builds. I'd recommend CoH over Enigma though, as you'll probably need the resists more than the MF.

*edit on my previous post you can probably find some way to work in a Nova Ormus robes too, they have some FCR too I believe.

**edit not to get to specific, but I think you can fird griffons for less then price of a infinity - maybe go check the trade value forum. That's probably the 2nd most expensive thing (after infinity).

13. Immortal_King

Hrm I never even thought about Ormus. It would add quite alot of damage eh? Thats something to think on. The main problem with Griffins is it costs like 10HR's or something rediculous right now. I could only get one by dismantling another of my chars.

14. MageChick

hmm, didn't realize griffons was that expensive. That could be a problem.

15. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

griffs aren't that expensive right now on east :p
    u can get a low one for like 6x+

16. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Really? I always thought things are the cheapest on west...

17. MageChick

well now that everything on US East is dupped....

18. Immortal_King

Ok another Q. When making a lightning sorc is charged bolt still the best move?

19. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

It's rarely used as a main skill, but it's almost always maxed as a synergy.

20. MageChick

Charged bolt is a synergy for both Lightning and Chain lightning, but if you're going nova, then it won't do anything for you. Nova doesn't have any synergies actually.