Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Singer Guide by memememe173 V.1

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by memememe173, Mar 16, 2004.

1. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Singer Guide by memememe173 V.1

Singer Barbarian Guide v. 1

Introduction
    Abbreviations/Terms
    Overview of the build
    Skill discussion
    Stat placement
    Equipment selection
    Strategy
    Thank you
    PvP section coming soon

Introduction:

In the frigid northlands of Sanctuary roam the great barbarian tribes. The Shadow Wolf, the Bear, the Crane, the Snake, and the Thunder are known far and wide for there great battle prowess and the power of their connection to animal spirits. Shaman, the spiritual leaders of the barbaric tribes have amazing connections to their animal totem, allowing them to produce effects that even the legendary Bul-Kathos would be hard pressed to match. Named “singers†by the men of the south, they call on spiritual aid to stun their enemies, increase the life of allies, and make grown men cower in fear.

Potential shamans are recruited at a young age. Any youth who shows a strong connection to his totem is given to the village shaman, who subjects the boys to merciless test of there physical and spiritual strength. Few succeed in the tests, and anyone who survives can say with conviction that they will be shaman. These brave boys are then sent to a great camp in the wilderness to be trained for five years by the elder shaman. Upon their return the speak in a much more somber and subdued manner, and anyone who looks in there eyes in taken aback, but when on the field of the battle, the inner warrior breaks out of the calm shell and lays waste to any who oppose him with the power of his spirit amplified voice.

Abbreviations/Terms:

PvM: Player vs. Monster
    PvP: Player vs Player
    FCR: Faster Cast Rate
    FHR: Faster Hit Recovery
    WCs: Warcries skill tree
    WC: War Cry skill
    BO: Battle Orders
    BC: Battle Command
    LA: Leap Attack
    DR: Physical Damage Reduced
    Display Damage is the damage shown on the character screen

Overview of the build:

The singer barbarian uses the skill War Cry to damage and stun monsters and players, while using his high level BO and Shout to make his whole party stronger.

Skill Discussion:

War Cry: War Cry is your only source of damage and the skill that you will use the most. It rates 20 points.

War Cry deals physical damage and costs 9 mana above you current skill level (level 1 WC costs 10 mana). It will stun physical immunes even though it doesn’t do damage.

With your main skill having such a high mana cost to damage ration, it is not good to have too many +skills. A level 31 WC provides 1000 damage for 40 mana, after that the higher mana cost, makes it very hard to keep casting WC without sacrificing health and overall survivability. Over a small amount of time the damage a level 31+ WC deals will be higher, but when you look at the long term, the damage dealt by the lower level WC easily surpasses that of the high level, due to the lowered mana cost and how long you can keep casting it.

I’ve tested WC at level 31, 39, 42, 45. The difference in display damage is only 550-600 between level 31 and 45, while the mana difference is 14. The second version of this guide will have a link to a table comparing the different skill levels.

Battle Orders: Gives you a huge boost in mana and health. A must for all barbs. 20 points.

Shout: Gives a boost to defense. With your long stun duration shout doesn’t warrant more then 1 point. Even at 1 point it will still be around level 15-17 when you cast it.

Battle Command: Same thing as Shout. With your +WCs the level will be high enough that 1 point is enough

Iron Skin, Natural Resistance, Increased Stamina, Increased Speed, Find Potion: All 1 point. With a few +all skills they’re all one point wonders. Some people will tell you not to put a point in Natural Resistance, but due to Conviction Aura and the Lower Resist curse, both of which can show up PvM, I think it is a good back up.

Leap//Leap Attack: A point in both so you can get Leap Attack. Jump into groups and start casting WC. Great because a level 1 LA can get you across the whole screen.

Battle Cry, Taunt, Howl: All three of these skills are synergies for WC. You will want to have at least 2 maxed. I suggest Howl, because it gives you a huge radius at high levels and Battle Cry, because it is a great benefit to you when leveling and also to your party later on.

At level 79 with all quests done your skills should look similar to this:

20 WC
    20 BO
    20 Battle Cry
    20 Howl
    1 Leap, Leap Attack, Natural Resist, Increased Speed, Increased Stamina, Taunt, Iron Skin and Battle Command.

For levels 80+ put the points into Taunt to increase your damage.

Stat Placement:

Strength: enough for gear Slikweaves are 65, Frostburns 60, mage plate 55

Dexterity: Enough for Wizard Spike (75) or for “helâ€ed Wiz (60)

Vitality: 2 points per level and all point going into Str//Dex should come from here

Energy: 3 per level. This is the lowest number you can put and still be able to cast reasonably well. If you have a lot of life scs you could get away with 4 here.

You should aim for 1.7-2k life and 2.7-3k mana after BO

Equipment Selection: Uniuqe, Magic, Set, Runeword

When choosing equipment keep in mind that you want to get 105% FCR, 1.7-2k life, 2.7-3k mana, close to 5k defense, and if possible 7frame hit recovery (15% FHR) and a level 30 WC. Depending on your gear (charms mostly) you might find that a few more +skills will work fine. I just went with 31 cause it give a nice even number for mana cost, and it reaches 1k damage.

Helm: The best possible helm would be a Jawbone Visorwith +3 Warcries, +3 BO, +3 WC, and +3 Shout, with the Whale, Squid, Centaur suffix.

Harlequin CrestShakowould be the next best helm to use: DR, +mana, +life, +2 skills perfect caster helm. Even has +2 all stats

Deliriumin a barb helm with +WC, BO, Shout problem is it has no +life or +mana

Low cost/low level options: Radianceor Lorein a +skill helm, Peasent Crown War Hat, or a +skill barb helm with sapphires

Armor: Enigmain a Mage Plate or Breast Plate would be ideal, as it give +2 skills, saves you points in strength, give life and DR, and lets you teleport

Que-Hagen’s Wisdom Mage Plate is my pick if you can’t afford Enigma, great defense, a skill, let’s you hit both the FCR and FHR break points and some mana

The Spirit Shroud Ghost Armor can also be good if you have 2 SOJs to use but would like cannot be frozen

Low cost/low level options: Stealth Breast or Mage plate, Skin of the Viper Magi Serpenskin Armor, Heavenly Garb Light Plate, 4 sapphire armor

Weapons: Wizard Spike Bone Knife, two of them. There is no replacement. Huge mana, mana regeneration, 100% FCR combined plus their very cheap, many players give them away or will sell for perfect gems. Heart of the Oaks doesn’t give enough mana and limits the use of Shako and SOJ.

Gloves: Frostburn Gauntlets are simply the best choice as they give you a huge amount of mana. Mage Fist Light Gauntlets and Trang Oul’s gloves are distant seconds

Belt: Gloom’s Trap Mesh Belt gives a 15% increase in mana and 15 vitality along with mana regeneration. Arachnid Mesh Spiderweb Sash or Nightsmoke Belt are alternatives if you can’t geta Gloom’s.

Boots: Silkweave Mesh Boots are the only real choice unless you get lucky crafting Caster boots. Waterwalk Sharkskin Boots could do if nessecary.

Rings: The Stone of Jordan is the best ring for this build. Huge mana and a skill. Ravenfrost gives mana and Cannot be Frozen and Bul-Kathos’ Wedding Band has life and a skill. But if you can afford it nothing beats the SOJ. In a rare or magic ring look for mana, life, or FCR if your missing the 105% FCR breakpoint.

Amulet: Your amulet choice depends purely on your other equipment. If you use Enigma, look for FCR and mana. If your short some skills to reach 30 (remember BC adds 1 skill) then get an amulet with Echoing, Beserker prefix, or Eye of Etlich or Mara’sKaleidoscope. Mahim-Oak Curio or Saracen’s Chance both have nice stat boosts if you don’t need skills or FCR. Magic and rare amulets can come with life, mana, energy or vitality if you get lucky.

Charms: An Annihilus small charm can never hurt. Get Warcry Grand Charms if you don’t have level 30 WCs yet. Otherwise just look for life, mana and FHR if you haven’t reached the breakpoint at 15%. The next breakpoints are: 27 and 48

You don’t have to follow these items to a T. The only items I feel are non-removable are WizardSpike and Frostburns. Experiment with some of the other items to see what you like best, just keep in mind what I suggested at the top of the equipment section.

For socketing the helm and armor, put in Perfect Skulls to help get your mana back as quickly as possible. If you want to use 2 SOJ and Enigma, you could put a Cham in the helm for CBF. For the Wizard Spikes, Hel or Io runes would be the best, though Lum runes or a rare jewel with +mana, +life, FHR, Vitality or Energy could do well.

Strategy:

Mercenary: If you’re using Leap Attack, your merc could often be stranded out side the group, and quite possibly taking damage from a few monsters outside your WC radius. So you want a tough merc who can take a few hits. None of the Act 3 mercs can tank well nor do they do much damage so we can forget them completely. The Act 1 Rogue and then Act 5 Barbarian could be OK, but I think that an Act 2 merc offers the best all around benefit. He can tank and deal good damage, but his aura can also help you, even when you’re not together. The Blesses Aim, Might, and Holy Freeze mercs don’t provide any real benefit to you, and the Thorns aura loses much of it effectiveness because stunned monsters won’t be hitting you! Defiance or Prayer are sound choices, both helping you save health, since you can’t leech it back.

My suggestion for merc equipment would be: Duriel’s Shell Cuirass, Tal Rasha’s Death Mask, and Reaper’s Toll Thresher. For the merc cannot be frozen is much more important since cold will slow down his attacks. Bonehew, Arioc’s Needle, Steel Pillar, or a cruel Polearm//Spear can work well. High damage Runewords can also be used by the rich.

Do to the high mana cost and relatively low damage of WC, it is best to “herd†monsters into a group around you. This makes best use of WC radius and let’s you deal with many monsters at once, saving mana. If you run across a group, use LA right into the middle of them, so that you WC hit as many as possible. The high mana cost and low damage can easily be offset, by smart timing and by grouping the monsters. Don’t worry about getting hit as you have a large life pool and once you start using WC the monster won’t be attacking any more. Don’t be afraid to use a mana potion if you need to, you can always get more by using Find Potion.

Even with maxed resists some ranged elemental monsters still pack a punch, so don’t be afraid to run back and forth keeping them stunned, and let your merc or party take care of them.

Don’t forget to keep BO, Shout and BC on at all times, and use Battle Cry to make it easy for a party and your merc to tear through monsters.

Potions are your friend. I can not stress this enough. You have no way of leeching so if you are low in either health or mana drink and potion and then get it right back with Find Potion.

Leveling should not be too hard, because even the 60 dexterity for a hel’ed Wiz Spike, will be enough to hit things until you get WC. I don’t suggest maxing WC right away or the mana cost will quickly become too high to manage. Get about 5 points in it, then work at BO and a synergy before you come back to WC.

Large health monsters, like Izual, Lister and the Act Bosses, will have too much health for you to handle without using 2+ potions, so if you can, try to find a party or be prepared to sit and hold the mouse button down for a long time.

This build doesn’t have the high damage of Wind Druids and Hammerdins, but it survives very well, is quite fun to play and is a great change from the builds you normally see.

Thank You:

Alaipp66 the singer guru who helped me on my very first Singer.
    The person who wrote the 1.09 Singer Guide for introducing my to Singers.
    Everyone who posted in the Singer threads and gave me ideas and helped me find the best combination for a Singer.
    To the person who convinced me of the mana regeneration route, and made me do the damage over time, mana//damage calculations.
    To the person who had the best magic WC helm I’ve ever seen.
    To the mod who stickies this…
    To everyone who reads this, offers some advice or makes a Singer

Some helpful links:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=137779

In version 2 I will have a PvP section and the comparision of Wiz//HotO and WC skill levels

2. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Stun duration?

Hi there!

Great start of a guide, except the font seems kinda small. I had to view as largest font...

I'm in the process of making a frenzy crier ( if I could use a maul, then I could sing "I've been working on a railroad... *whamp* all the live long day... *whamp* " :D ).

I have a question please. How is the warcry stun duration affected by the difficult level? If it shows as 4 secs, is that 1 sec in hell?

Thank you. I hope this is not off topic...

Jen

3. memememe173

Nope this is completly on topic. You reminded me I wanted to include a few notes for people just using WC as a back up or stun tool.

I've been told that Stun length is not reduced in hell or PvP and I'll go test this myslef right now.

Ok it's official. The stun length does not change from normal-hell

4. chubbypuppy

Kick @$$

Wow that's amazing. I'm going max WC, frenzy and Taunt (synergy for both), and the stun duration is like 4 sec or something. Lots of time for a frenzy beating!

OK this might be another often asked question, but what does WC affect? I'm assuming it doesn't stun bosses/champs/uniques?

Since it's physical damage, does Amp damage double it?

5. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

The champs and uniques are stunned, just at a lower chance %. I know this for sure, because I have a level 83 with max bo, wc, shout, and high level bc, taunt, and battle cry on ladder with item find and grim ward for good measure (I get level 11 immediately with 1 point). The champs normally take 2 to 3 times before they stun, the uniques another scream or two. Bosses don't seem to be stunned, but I believe there is a bug because I can stand next to baal and battle cry and war cry him and he doesnt attack nearly as fast.

6. memememe173

Anything but Act bosses can get the "Stun" circle over their heads, but it takes more casts, as boochie said.

Yes amp doubles the damage

I'd be careful about maxing WC. Could end up costing a fair bit of mana. If you do max it then I'd suggest not using every time the stun circle left the heads, but trying to be more strategic in use.

7. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

I cant read it....how can i put it in bigger fonts so i can see?..

[email protected]~

8. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

View > Text Size if you're using something like IE or the Avant Shell.

-Hal

9. memememe173

I'll post a cleaned up one with good coloring/font tonight

then I'll make edits to that

then I'll ask for sticky

BTW Hal who stickied your Conc? I'll ask the same person

10. boochie61

Mana isn't much of a problem for my singer. He's using Glooms Trap, Frosties, and some godly crafted caster boots. Plus his ammy has mana regen as well, so since I don't use hoto and only use echoers, the burn rate is pretty easy to control. I can normally kill most bosses with only one mana pot (except for the occasional ip where you had better have a merc with some elemental damage). BTW my mana maxes at about 770 right now at level 83 so that probably explains why I haven't noticed the downside of wc maxing.

11. chubbypuppy

Mana...

Rock on, even more reason to use for Atma, which should trigger often with frenzy.

Thanks for the warning. I'm planning to WC to stun, then frenzy to mana leech back. I'll see how it goes, this is very exciting!

12. memememe173

Would it be possible for you to link those boots, as I'd like to show an example when I repost. I was warning about WC maxing to the frenzy user.

770 mana seems increbly low for a pure Singer, especially at level 83. With a maxed WC I can't see that lasting long at all, considering the level 31 Warcry I talk about needs 4 casts to kill and Hell Fallen in player 1

Please give me some more information. Like equipment and stat//skill placement, because I'm having trouble seeing that working. Also what do you do about FCR? Without Wiz you're gonna be casting really slow

13. boochie61

+
    Well I like to think of my build as a stunner/singer. A lot of barbs go for the hoto/hoto, hoto/lidless to get faster cast. On this build I see faster cast as bad, not a good thing. With almost no fast cast gear, I can still wc 3 to 4 times a seconds. I'm using an upgraded duriels (didn't upgrade it till level 77 to allow myself to get strength gradually), two rare shimmering rings, +2 barb skills ammy with fire resist and mana regen, glooms trap, frosties, and my pride and joy, a rare barb helm with +2 all barb, +3 shout, +2 bo, 15 cold and light resist helm, along with a 51 and 52 mana gc. The boots are crafted wyrmhyde with 93 def, 6% mana regen, 4% max mana, 15 to mana, 5% life regen, 11% reisist to poison. I also have a number of vita charms, and all resist charms as well, in addition to the gems in the armor, helm, and one sword, making my reisist 75% accross the board.

14. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Definitely have to work on spacing, aside from the text colors/sizes.

As for the actual guide... a few points.

You talk about herding the monsters, but you never mention Taunt. This is a Very important part of it. (Especially against ranged monsters who'll stop attacking and walk right up to you) Stress the importance of this skill.

Btw, Arachnid crushes Gloom's. Fast Cast, reduced % Mana but you already have it in insane amounts, making it less important. +Vit from gear isn't enhanced by BO anyway...

Try to discuss various singer builds. Primarily for cheaper setups that don't comprise everything. Mfer (Horks with +Mf/Gold Find... Supports group moderately),
    Pure Support, (*Cheap. Not much Fast Cast, Echoing Weapons, +Mana Items. Doesn't go for Kill, just cripples monsters and supplies life/def),
    Sorc Support, Requires Enigma or tons of R/W... Basically made as a tank for Meteor/Blizzard. Need immense speed to keep up with sorcs.

mention the fact +Life per level, +Mana Per level isn,t enhanced by %Mana/%life. Making Shako a weaker choice.

Leap Vs Leap Attack....
    Code:
    Screen size	Visible Screen 		Width 		Height 
    640 x 480 	640 x 432 		13.3 yards 	18 yards 
    800 x 600 	800 x 552 		16.7 yards 	23 yards 

So, Resolution of 640 X 480 requires a distance of 11.19 Yards to reach the far corners of a screen.
    Resolution of 800 X 600 requires a distance of 14.212 Yards to reach the far corners of a screen.

Meaning 640 X 480 requires a lvl5 Leap to reach the whole screen
    800 X 600 needs a lvl11 Leap for a distance of 14.6... You can get by with a lvl9 with just a mild loss of distance. (14 Yards... Missing .212 for full screen... not noticeable)

Just a little extra info when making the decision. If you already have the +Skills, don't waste the point (Or more importantly... the time it takes to swing a dagger)

I think that's it at the moment...

15. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

I like this guide pretty well put (cept the font!) however i do have two question, has Physical Damage Reduce come to your concern knowing there are many hard hitters esecaily in Hell A5. A pack of Death Lords would mow you in merly 3 hits.

And what about Defense knowing you mention the uses of dual Wizard Spikes w/o a shield you would be hit an awful lot. I know you rely on stun, but what if you are in cases where it doesnt work as effectivly?

[email protected]~

16. memememe173

K alraight Alain

Taunt, very good idea.

Think I said ealier I was gonna expand and have a section on variants, thanks for pointing out a few I would have missed.

I'm just going to quote you directly on the leap stuff.

Never heard about that with Shako...Still the best choice unless you have one of the "perfect Barb helms"

Arach + Enigma

Gloom's + FCR armor IMO

17. memememe173

You can stun them, that's why I advocate FCR, let's you get the stun in befor they hit you. Also don't go chargind blindly ahead. You don't have really anything to get you out of a group unless you have Enigma or can get a Leap of.

Battle Cry, Taunt, Stun, 5k+ defense, Merc, playing safely all help a lot with the lack of shield

18. WvX_leader

WvX_leader Banned

-Basic lvling? [ex: give people places to lvl if they are PvP]
    -Basic PvP strat? [you said it works for PvP, tell them why]
    -New font/size
    -Easier to read colors [yet with bigger font shouldnt be a problem i guess]
    -Basic strats [leap attack+cry in depth? let them be assured they doin the right thing]

if you fix that it aint too bad bro.

19. memememe173

-Basic leveling: I'll link to the area//xp guide and add a small blurb
    -Basic PvP: I don't remember saying that...havn't worked out PvP yet because mines not quite complete enough in gear for me to start
    -font/size/color: Ya I've gotten that a lot and feel quite ashemed
    -Update Strat: More on Leaping will be added along with Alain's post

I'll start updating tomorrow, leave it for one more day of comments, and have the new one on Thursday

20. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

I didn't ask for a sticky, I just threw it up and they decided they wanted to sticky it themselves. Zoso did mine, but he seems to be MIA (I sent him a PM a few days ago, no response yet). Might be awhile =/

-Hal