Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Since when is smite blockable?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by goldenfrog, Mar 4, 2004.

1. goldenfrog

goldenfrog IncGamers Member

Since when is smite blockable?

In a dueling game, was dueling a wind druid with an UMbral disk, the druid was able to block my smite. I saw the block animation and heard the clink sound. This happened 3 times. Tested it on a zon with storm shield and Titans ,she was also able to block my smite(same anaimation and sound) What gives? Buggy game maybe? I've never seen this before.

2. Any1

Any1 Banned

I had heard the Assassin can now block Smite and even BH maybe (not sure about BH). I'm not suprised that others can do it now as well. It's a new feature introduced in 1.10, to make PvP more "fair".

(Begin: extreme sarcasm) Yeah thanks Blizz, those damn Paladin Vindicators were ruining the fun for everybody. (End: extreme sarcasm)

3. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

it seems blizzard has added a serverside patch since they released 1.10
    this week I found my druid blocking lightning attacks from gloams

and
    smite is blockable by assassins weapon block, they can also block BH, any sorceress spell (except blizzard I think)

4. goldenfrog

Yeah I knew about the asn blocking and Zon dodging smite but this took me by surprise.

5. Halbreed7250

Halbreed7250 IncGamers Member

so very true, thanks alot Blizz

6. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

I've been dueling all day today and haven't noticed it happen...

7. Kevlar

Kevlar IncGamers Member

haven't seen Bh being blocked since it took the form of magical damage, what means 1.07 patch. I've seen assassins blocking smite but never Blessed hammer or nec's Bone spirit ( both are pure magical attacks). Are you sure that BH can be blocked?

8. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Can someone help out and test it? I have no access to D2 for a week, sigh.

9. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Im pretty sure it can be blocked. At least thats what the assasin faq says.

10. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

hammers and bone spirits can be blocked by claw block. not by anything else.

smite cannot be blocked. nothing has blocked it today - asns havent blovcked it, wind druids havent.

javazons might dodge it though.

now what happened when you heard block animation may have been the javazon smaking you a real weak hit, and vs a wind druid he proboblyl had ravens and maybe even a bear out. Those ravens will hit you and make YOUR shield make a block noise - though it wont send you into animation since smite is uniterruptable.

11. goldenfrog

Everything I've ever heard or read has said smite is unblockable. Pally FAQ also says its unblockable. Only dual claw sins should be able to block smite.

12. Diminished-Soul

Diminished-Soul IncGamers Member

:lol: Lay off of him Jer or I will make you die.

I liked his sarcasm. (sadly we must say its sarcasm now or we will be flamed :rant: )

But yes I noticed this a long time ago like when 1.10 came out. But, it didn't bother me much. It was the damn charge bug that is heh nt. But, now I am Necro so I don't need to worry much. Manner Necro that is. :lol:

13. TheCheese

TheCheese IncGamers Member

Sins have always been able 2 block magic attacks 2 my beliefs. No one ever used this ability because every sin pretty much had a ss instead of duel claws. Duel claws were very unpopular in .9 and thats why not every1 knows about this.

Well that is correct to my memory and i just got back 2 d2 so i may be wrong but im pretty sure i am right.

14. fonis

fonis Banned

I and my friend had a few dual claw assys. They could never block spells. Smite.. yes... not spells.
    Sorry.

15. goldenfrog

The wind druid first blocked my smite in a duel. After seing and hearing the block, the wind druid, zon and myself tested this. During the test the druid and zon both were standing still, not attacking and had no summons, merc, spirit, ravens or valk. The 3 of us thought it was so wierd that we agreed to test it properly and see if we could repeat it. We were able to repeat the bug 4 times so we decieded that was enough to report/ask what was up. All the testing took place in the same game so maybe we had a buggy or laggy game. My pally is lvl 64, druid 43 and zon 71. The druids animation was slow (umbral disk no faster block?) and the zons was fast(storm shield). Druid blocked 1 of 3 smites on first duel, 2 out of 5 on the 2nd duel. Zon blocked 1 of 5 .

16. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

I have also noticed strange blocking animations. My necro has blocked blizzard and sometimes even bonespear from claw viper type monsters. If this is indeed a server side patch, then I believe it gives a chance to block previously unblockable attacks, but at a greatly reduced chance. This is based on previous posts and my own observations. It also could be a new bug that resulted from a new server-side patch.

17. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

Then tell me why in 1.09 my C/C pvp sin could take on vindi's 10 times better then my hybrid or MA sin? (last 2 were C/S) Oh yes , because weapon block gives you 50-60% block that can block smite. And the same thing still is valid in 1.1.

18. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Assassin's with dual claw are able to block if they use that special assassin skill but their max blocking is only 60%. However, for other classes, I believe that is not a blocking animation but rather HIT RECOVERY. When you lose 10% of your life, you go into hit recovery.

p.s. Smite is blockable by assassins with weapon block skill.

p.s. #2 C'mon, aren't I the Edit King?

19. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

all the asns I've dueled have been 2 hit kills anyways, so they didn't have a chance to block. but the wind druids always have lots of life and I have to use a stormshield istead of my uped HoZ - muchless dmg, and I have NEVER heard them block. In fact i dueled and 8k life barbarian with sigons shield yesterday to tet this out - I hit him for about 2 minutes and no block noise.

20. goldenfrog

Must have been a buggy game or something.