Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sin War Trilogy Shortcomings

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by NJS, May 4, 2008.

1. NJS

NJS IncGamers Member

Sin War Trilogy Shortcomings

Finished reading the Diablo Sin War Trilogy and was disappointed to say the least. Felt it had more then a few major shortcomings that did not fit well with the tone previously set for the Diablo story. Would like to hear fellow readings thoughts on the books.

The Diablo lore has always been steeped in mystery. Both games give you a solid foundation of the storyline, but only explain so much leaving that bit of mystery to let the player and reader wonder about. This I feel is one of the most intriguing things about the game and books. This trilogy seemed to try to explain everything about Diablo, a lot more then I ever cared to know, and has removed a lot of the mystery to the storyline. I felt they went overboard with explaining the creation of Sanctuary, Humans, and personally the World Stone. While those add to the base storyline I felt a lot of it was unnecessary. At the end of LOD the discovery and destruction of the world stone was one of the biggest hangs and I felt its purpose should not of been brought fully to light until D3. Sadly much of the mystery has been taken out of the Diablo story I feel.

Another problem I had was the style which the books were written. Frankly it was just too anime and "DBZ" stiled for me. Looking back at the other books and storyline, Sanctuary's most powerful heroes/villains "Bartuc (Warlord of Blood), his brother, main characters from previous books, D1 & D2's main player characters, and other key characters" they all had their limits, all specialized in some specific talent and were in no way infallible. Uldyssian however seemed to have no limits. Even going as far as resurrecting himself. How many times was he able to do "the impossible"? At the end it would not have surprised me if Uldyssian would of been able to defeat all of Hell and Heaven at once. Some fights were written in a mirror image of DBZ battles. His brother, which still is a bit overpowered at least was bound to a style of magic, guidelines, and a few limitations. He even found the limit of his power and abilities which I feel is key to any "heros" development. Personally it got to a point where the story just got boring, because there was nothing left that Uldyssian or his followers could do to surprise the reader. *Spoiler* The ending of Uldyssian's transition to "godhood" was hardly a shock and only capped my feelings on the matter.

Lastly the author did not follow at all to how the basis of the Sin War previously was stated. There was no mention of Bartuc or his brother who were key characters of the Sin War, no mention of Izual, past artifacts, and the one point that they did embellish on "Inarius' and his followers capture and transformation by Mephisto which later creates the Overlords in D1 and D2" Was shortened to only the mention in the last chapter and no description of his actual torture.

Overall while the first book was good and entertaining overall, the trilogy was a disappointment and considering the fact that these books actually shaped Diablo lore, while the others were merely stories that fit within the storyline at some point, am greatly disappointed. To add to the disappointment was the fact that these were written by a fantastic author who's my expectations for were much higher.

Agree? Dissigear? Discuss. :)

2. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Re: Sin War Trilogy Shortcomings

Hmmm, I'm no expert on this matter. To be honest, I don't even know where to find the books. But your post did make me interested in the books. Is the game an extract from an individual story, produced before the game? Or is the game and it's story made co-op?

Furthermore I advise you to see if this point of view isn't better suited in the Fan Fiction subforum. The guys over there have more knowledge about these matters.

3. Zinah

Zinah IncGamers Member

Well, you can find them for sure on Amazon. I got mine as e-books in mobipocket format in one online store because it's too expensive for me to buy via Amazon. :( But surely they are available elsewhere as well. Look for (in that order): Birthright, The Scales Of Serpent, The Veiled Prophet - all by Richard Knaak. I'm a big fan of his books about Zayl, the necromancer. <3 I think he wrote books for other Blizzard games as well.

I'm not done with reading the trilogy, I'll sure post my thoughts after reading it.

4. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i think it is always a danger to know exactly what happened in the mysterious past...that's one of the failures of the Star Wars prequels IMO

5. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur IncGamers Member

I started to read the first one and just didn't feel it in me to actually go any further.

I loved richard knaak's legacy of blood. It was amazing; a bit rushed at the end and didn't really tie in with the game as much as I would have liked but still...

I think I'll force myself to read all of the diablo books for the sake of lore, though.

6. oodjob

oodjob IncGamers Member

I agree with both the OP and post above me.
    Legacy of Blood was a great book. I have read it many times. Favorite Blizzard book by far except for Liberty's Crusade which is just the best.

As for the Sin War trilogy, I found the books to be too plain, repetitve, and lacking good writing style. Of course, when you are reading a novel based on a computer game you must take into account it is not likely going to be written that well in the first place, however, the Sin War trilogy was too bland. Anyone could have really written it. Some Diablo books are a struggle for me to read through all the way (like these) and some go by so fast it catches me off guard when I am done (like Legacy).
    Also agreeing with the OP, Knaak places too much emphasis and information on some aspects of the book and not nearly enough on others.
    All in all, the books do not have much of a Diablo feel at all (while some like Legacy, Moon, and Kingdom did). What could have made these better if they were more like the game in the sense of being more mysterious (like OP said), epic, and involving more people in the sense of really making lore, not pinpointing points about it.

7. NJS

NJS IncGamers Member

I agree Legacy of Blood was one of my favorit books, and the rest did not fall short of that either. Reason why the Sin War was such a let down. Also as stated earlier the books didn't even have the Diablo feel to them at all while Legacy and Kingdom fit perfectly with the games.