Sin City

garublador

Diabloii.Net Member
I liked the movie and thought it was done well and cool as heck but I'm not sure I'll be putting it on my list of favorites. I feel lame for saying this, but I really got the feeling the whole movie was there just to show off some violence for the sake of showing off some violence. I understand that they're disjointed, completely separate stories, but the fact that there wasn't really anything tieing them together made me wonder why I just sat there and wathed violence for 2 hours straight. If you take away the incredibly cool style and cinimatography you aren't really left with anything but a couple of really well acted short films.

That being said, I do recommend that anyone who can stomach the violence should go see it. It is well done, has great acting and is entertaining. It really isn't any less void of social worth than 90% of the movies that are out at the moment.

Isolde212

Banned
Anakha1 said:
I'm joining the general consensus and not believing you for a second.

Isolde and I are going to see Sin City tonight. Yay!

YAY!!!! DATE NIGHT!!!!! I love date night. It's just wierd that you always get to pick the movies we go to see.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
YAY!!!! DATE NIGHT!!!!! I love date night. It's just wierd that you always get to pick the movies we go to see.
That's because women are well known for having horrible taste in music and movies. And love.

Ev_

Diabloii.Net Member
garublador said:
If you take away the incredibly cool style and cinimatography you aren't really left with anything but a couple of really well acted short films.
Haha, "if you take away the cool effects and visuals, you're just left with a well acted movie." That's not exactly a reason to be disappointed. Did you not like the fact that there was some grand scheme going on to intertwine all the stories? I thought that fact made the movie better.

As for the violence...it's dialed up because they wanted this to be like watching a motion comic book. Look at the level of gore in comic books; everything is super exaggerated. Blood flies everywhere, body parts are severed. It was gory, but there was a reason for it.

TheAmoeba

Diabloii.Net Member
About the Jessica Alba thing....yeah, I drooled over her sooo much when I first saw her in the Dark Angel days. But now, her face isn't as beautiful (but she still has a great smile). She still has a perfect body, but her face when she's not smiling...Maybe it's just every time I see her now I think back to the picture of her in that Honey movie.

~Kazama Fury~

Diabloii.Net Member
I loved the movie. Everyone I've talked to share the same opinion.

I still find Jessica Alba really hot. Ever since Dark Angel!
Too bad the show ended abruptly. Things started getting interesting.

What was the movie rated for you guys? For us, it was 16+, I think it should have been rated R. Oh well, atleast we had more mature people in the theatre this time opposed to all the little annoying kids at Constantine.

NightShade

Diabloii.Net Member
Like anyone here would kick her outta their beds....

+1 to hartigan ^^.

"I took away his wepons, both of them"

Isolde212

Banned
This was a great movie. I don't care about Jessica Alba....Clive Owen is now on my hottie list!!!!! Booyah!

Anakha1

Banned
"After I performed that miracle, I'll just go punch out god."

Just got back from the movie, and it was awesome. And yes, Jessica Alba is smoking hot. And Mickey Rourke was friggin' cool.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
This was a great movie. I don't care about Jessica Alba....Clive Owen is now on my hottie list!!!!! Booyah!
Get BBC America then... "Second Sight" is what I've seen him in recently.

Alba may be hawt but she looks far better smiling. Pity about the lack of range.

MithrandirX

Diabloii.Net Member
I liked the movie, but I wouldn't say it was a great film. I thought the Marv segment was the best one by far.

I am a pretty solid FM fan, too, and I liked the way the film stayed so true to the books. now if we could just get a film version of "The Dark Night Retruns" (hands-down best graphic novel in all comic book history, also a Frank Miller book) I would be a happy man.

garublador

Diabloii.Net Member
Ev_ said:
Haha, "if you take away the cool effects and visuals, you're just left with a well acted movie." That's not exactly a reason to be disappointed. Did you not like the fact that there was some grand scheme going on to intertwine all the stories? I thought that fact made the movie better.

As for the violence...it's dialed up because they wanted this to be like watching a motion comic book. Look at the level of gore in comic books; everything is super exaggerated. Blood flies everywhere, body parts are severed. It was gory, but there was a reason for it.
Just so I'm clear, I'm reviewing this movie as a movie, not as an adaptation of a graphic novel.

I didn't say I was disappointed with it, just that it it's missing a couple of key aspects that all really great movies have. It has some of them, just not all of them. After watching it I didn't have that "I just watched a good movie" feeling, I had a "I just watched a bunch of cool stuff" feeling instead.

I also understand that the whole idea was to make a movie that's as close to the graphic novels as possible, but by doing that you'll obviously make sacrifices to the overall quality of the movie. Movies aren't comic books. They both have their advantages and to make either a movie or a comic book that's really great you have to play up the advantages and minimize the disadvantages. Making a movie that's as close to a comic as possible, while cool, means that you'll lose out on some of the things that make movies good. That's obviously a sacrifice the filmmakers were willing to make. That doesn't mean it's off limits to critics, though.