Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sin City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheAmoeba, Apr 3, 2005.

1. TheAmoeba

TheAmoeba IncGamers Member

Sin City

Hey, I tried to make this thread yesterday but I was having problems with my password and login in. So....

I saw Sin City friday night at a staff screening (I used to work at a theatre and quite a few of my friends are still there). The verdict: Awesome! This was the first comic book based movie that actually felt like a comic book. A warning though, it was really violent and gory.

A couple of flaws: bad editing (to me). It was edited in the same way as Pulp Fiction so the stories aren't in any chronological order, which isn't a bad thing of course. It just seems that the way it was edited made the movie seem confusing (there's so many characters that they can get confusing to keep track of).

One last flaw: Jessica Alba isn't hot anymore
    *jumps out window*

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I"ve heard nothing but good things about it, from about 4-5 different friends who have gone to see it. They differ on the Jessica Alba issue though.

3. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

sin city sucked. it was a wannabe artsy movie that was just senseless gore and not-awesome action. I fell asleep.

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

You must have been watching a different movie. I thought it was great, I had some complaints about the non-linear editing and I thought the yellow bad guy was a bit too absurd. The best part was how the movie actually felt like a comic book. (That and Elijah Wood is amazingly creepy.)

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Word to the wise, trust the reviews of people that watched the whole movie without tumbling into a drunken stupor and nodding off.

The editing didn't bother me, it was 3 different stories and they loosely tied them up, what's there to complain about? I did too wonder how in the hell the yellow bastard became yellow.

6. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

too many bananas.

7. TheAmoeba

TheAmoeba IncGamers Member

I think the char said he looked all crazy and yellow and goblin-like cause of all the surgery and stuff to fix his...well, I don't want to ruin it.

It was non-stop action but what did you expect?

I just thought the stories were a little too loosely connected is all. I don't know how this could be different though.

Elijah Wood was soooo creepy. Michael Duncan Clark looked really creepy too with the eye thing. Another great character: the guy played by Clive Owen. Nothing too special about him but his story was pretty neat. Too bad Rosario Dawson looked pretty gross.

8. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

I've been a fan of Frank Miller since the mid-eighties. I really liked the movie (especially since they give FM directing credit). Although, some things that are very effective in the book don't translate well into this new medium (moving pictures). The caption dialogue, the running commentary, and the minimalist visuals that made the book such an innovation, come off a little "over the top" (in a some instances) in the movie.

I also didn't like Bruce Willis in the role, because I kept thinking it's Bruce Willis. He should've been wearing some more prosthetic makeup. Mickey O'Rourke is just brilliant, mainly because he looks like the character from the book and not himself.

9. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

Blasphemy! Have you seen her in the April GQ? Dayyyyyyyyyyyum! I personally prefer her with dark hair though.

10. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

That would be a distracting thought :cheesy:

11. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Don't even get me going. :rolleyes:

12. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

It was freaking sweet.

That is all I can say.

13. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Read the comics.

Adds alot.....as well as being amazing on their own.

14. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

You liar :)

15. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Just got back from seeing it. I was never a big comic book fan, but that was freakin' amazing. They did a brilliant job turning a comic book into a movie.

About the whole "not tied together" thing: The stories aren't supposed to be tied together. They're 3 separate stories. They could have all in fact survived as stories on their own, but the filmmakers put subtle things in to connect them simply to show that all the stories were happening in the same city. In fact these subtle things served to show that the main characters in each story didn't know each other. I think that makes the movie even stronger.

It's got my nod as best movie of the year so far.

16. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

what's it been up against so far? Constantine?

best movie of the year doesn't mean a thing at this point, what a lousy year it's been

fyi, I heard they've been planning on giving you the option to watch the three segments independently in the dvd with extra footage so in addition to the 2 hour movie you'd also have the option to watch it as three 45-50 minute films

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'm joining the general consensus and not believing you for a second.

Isolde and I are going to see Sin City tonight. Yay!

18. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

wtf? How did I double post. And this forum is SLOOOOOOOW. Maybe we need to upgrade to a graphing calculator?

19. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I enjoyed it. Best movie I've seen in months. I was entertained the whole way through, and I loved the black and white with some elements colored.

Jessica Alba is hot.

20. Phantom_Man

Phantom_Man IncGamers Member

The trailer ruined it for me. And yes, I feel that is decent grounds not to see that movie.