Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Simple pleasures

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Wraithswind, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Wraithswind

Wraithswind IncGamers Member

Simple pleasures

Since ver. 1.10, I've had a lot of trouble with Normal Duriel. I've managed to die at least once with most of my characters (exception would be my Fire Druid, but I was making trips to town every few seconds). Even using a Barb with decent cold resists and Battle Orders, Duriel would still cut through me like a hot knife through butter.

Then along came my latest pride and joy, Delianna (offline version). I had made it to level 24, and I had a few points into CS by that time. I entered Duriel's chamber, and with luck on my side, my merc positioned himself at a 90% angle from me. Duriel went after him first. Before my merc died, I had Duriel under a 1/4 life...something I've never done before. Duriel scored one hit on me before I dissolved him into a sizzling mound of electrified goo. It's not a great achievement, but it sure felt good after all the trouble he's given me.

So far, she's died once, to Meph, and it was my own stupid mistake that got her killed. I thought she had enough life, LR, and CR to tank him, but apparently not since his Frozen Orb cut through me faster than I could kill Duriel.

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Duriel can be a menace, since he attacks rather quickly and slows you down too... it's good to kill him with (relative) ease and then jump up and down on all his little bug friends :)

Be careful of Meph's Big Cold Ball, since it's part-physical too - it can be blocked and probably Avoided, if you're lucky.

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This ties well in with the story of Lucky, my "Randomly Challenged" amazon. The rules are that all stats and skills are randomized at each level up. She was also level 24 for the Duriel fight. I had one point in Charged Strike. That saved the day.
    The merc is also randomized. I got Might, so I had no merc against Normal Duriel.
    This is how it turned out (from posts eaten in the second forum crash):

"Right, Duriel :eek:
    I prepared as best as I could. Lucky had no Dodge, 203 life, 75% cold resistance and 66% blocking. She had four charms with poison damage and a Circlet of Pestilence. She also had an ace up her sleeve: a Skill Shrine just some distance away from the orifice chamber. This shrine, combined with the fact that Charged Strike had carried Lucky through tough spots when clearing the tombs made me decide to use it against Duriel.

Charged Strike is a weird skill. Even though no attack rating is listed on the chraracter screen, it can miss (and does so quite often). I think the AR is there and is used, you just don´t see it. The 3 charged bolts from the skill get released even if you miss, which is nice. If the Charged Strike hits, however, the bolts often strike the monster you are stabbing. This depends on the size of the monster and also the angle you attack from (kind of the same phenomenon as when you melee LE bosses). Large targets like Gorebellies often absorb all three of the bolts, making Lucky do a lot more damage than the 8-30 that is listed for level 1 Charged Strike, sometimes even killing a Gorebelly in one hit.

Since almost all damage in the fight is going to come from the skill itself (plus poison sources) I will do best by using a fast javelin. Physical damage doesn´t matter much. I gambled quite a few Javelins and came up with a really good rare: +70% damage, +8 min damage, some slight fire damage and lightning resistance. In fact, these Javelins will look great as War Javelins if I can upgrade them later.

I activated the shrine, ran to the orifice chamber, switched boots (from a pair with Faster Run to a pair with Cold Resist + Faster Hit Recovery) and entered Duriel´s Chamber. While there, I threw a Plague Javelin and moved to the side to avoid the intial Charge. Then it was time for Charged Strikes non-stop. Are we in the right position? Yep, no bolts crawl away when Lucky hits.

Hey, this is not too bad! Duriel doesn´t hit very often and the HF damage is nothing to worry about. Of course I drank potions: 2 light healing, 1 healing, 3 greater healing (which almost works as rejuves over time for an amazon with 200 life) and 3 full rejuves. One of the rejuves was actaully used mainly to get mana...
    Down he goes! Ph34r the power of Charged Strike!

The shrine lasted just as long as I needed it to. The last column of full rejuves remained untouched. By the way, Lucky´s damage with level 3 Charged Strike was listed as 8-70 (I checked just before entering Duriel´s Lair). 8-70? I don´t think so. Not if she hits."

4. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

A merc as bait (slaps self in forehead)!! Why didn't I think of that!! That big, cold spitting ball of turd killed me more times last night than I care to remember. First time I've fought him since installing 1.10...big difference. That cold ball whooped my butt...I'm going to need a much better strategy when I see him on hardcore (how about something with 'cannot be frozen'), and I think a merc to distract him is just the place to start.

5. Dolph

Dolph IncGamers Member

Last time I killed him untwinked must have been with my HCÖ kickersin. Luckily enough I had the bug where monsters ignore my merc. So i just ran around in a circle while my merc stabbed at duriel with 100+ damage.
    Even did it at players5 :)

6. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Sorry to spoil the fun, but 'cannot be frozen' does not work for the HF aura (and Duriel)

Randall

7. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

duriel is not very hard in fact if
    - don't start by using a skill
    - you start to run ! first shoot for you merc
    - you have a merc.
    - open a TP.
    - a finger to heal the merc.
    - use skill from distance or weapon (a socketed bow is always good).
    - summon if you can
    - take the tp if the merk is killed or out potion.
    - have a good charm (resist to fire or poison is not the best with him)

and don't forget you can cube the weapon with three gems for better bonus and socket in normal!

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

fishman was referring to Mephisto, actually...

CBF is of course useful there.

9. Draken_Dcayde

Draken_Dcayde IncGamers Member

I beat Duriel rather easily with my untwinked pally. Or, almost untwinked, I've gotten two runes, Eth and Nef, from the forum. Just some visits to town.

The fun thing comes to normal Diablo. He cost me about 100 thousand gold in healing potions and recovery. Funny thing is, he killed me only once, but I must've had at least eight corpses in there at a time. Damned demons at that right-hand seal.

10. Wraithswind

Wraithswind IncGamers Member

I'm so cheap against Meph. I still use the "fight across the river" technique against him with characters that have ranged attacks.

Delianna actually didn't have much trouble with Diablo. She had to run back to town a couple of times, but she stayed relatively healthy.