Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Simple (?) item run questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Risenphoenix, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Risenphoenix

Risenphoenix IncGamers Member

Simple (?) item run questions

Hellos -
    I have a few basic questions about doing item runs in single player games. I have a couple of characters in nightmare difficulty. One is at Mephisto now, and I've already killed him about 5 times. What I'm wondering is, when I start a *single player* game in nightmare, kill Mephisto, save and exit, then go right back to *single player*, nightmare, then teleport to durance of hate level 2, go to durance level 3, and kill him again - am I getting a greatly reduced chance of finding items? When I restart the game, I can still "see" the same map I had in the previous game. When I read about doing "mf runs" in faq's and here, I wonder if I'm doing this correctly.

Also, is there any point (or increased chance of finding items) in hosting a multiplayer game, as opposed to doing a save and exit, and starting up again in single player? The map does seem to reset when I do this, but I'm just not sure if this helps at all.

Any general tips for trying to do magic find runs in single player games? Should I just sit here in act 3, and kill mephisto over and over?

Further, I've noticed when you 'host' a multiplayer game on a single player computer (using a single player character), you're forced to start in whatever act you left off in when you were playing single player. Any way around this? I mean, if I move onto act 4 or 5, I'm stuck playing in those acts, with no way of going back to act 1-3 (or using a saved imbue from charsi) until I've completely finished the game, and restart in act 1 again. Bleh!

Big thanks in advance,
    Risenphoenix

2. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Of course not.

No, there isn't. Non-reseting maps are actually great thing because you can do Meph (and Baal) runs much faster than in MP/bnet.

I don't get it. You can always use waypoint to go back, I don't see where's the problem.

3. Risenphoenix

Risenphoenix IncGamers Member

Big thanks on the fast reply nex.
    Not being at my computer, I think I now realise (even after countless hours of play) that I didn't notice you can switch the act on waypoint locations. I think that must be why you gave the response you did on the last question anyway....(ducks incoming bricks from other forum members)

-Risenphoenix

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Clicky
    Aimed at bnet but still useful

The way to change the maps is to host an MP or to change difficulties. This is used to get a better map.

Use the tabs at the top of the waypoint to get to different acts within the same difficulty.

5. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Well, actually, there's this thing called "quest drop", or "first kill drop". When you kill an act boss (Andy, Duriel, Meph, Diablo and Baal) for the first time, completing the final quest of the act, you get a bonus to their drop. In the quest drop, you don't get junk (like arrows, potions etc; but you can get charms, gems, runes) and the minimum quality dropped is rare (ie. no blue items, except for when the game rolls a set but, say, there's no set item of that base item type). Andariel is special (re: bugged) in that as long as you talk to Warriv in the same game that you kill her for the first time, she'll always drop from her quest drop in that difficulty.

Ain't that beautiful? Imagine how disgusting Meph runs would be without stable maps... Heck, Durance of Hate lvl 2 is almost larger than the whole Act 4!

You can push to Act 5 and kill Baal over and over as well :wink3: Seriously, once you get some basic gear (for kill speed, MFing and for the merc) from NM Meph, say him goodbye and move on. If you can reach somewhere around lvl 75 before you start Hell, and don't have significant problems, I don't see a reason to run any target in NM. Rush your way to the Countess and the Pits (in Tamoe Highlands) in Hell A1, and run those for runes and high end items respectfully. Will take a while before you feel comfortable and safe, but they're not really difficult and will definitely pay off. Keep in mind that the unique and champion packs in the Pits can drop every non-quest item in the game, which is even better than Hell Diablo. Eventually, you might move your MFer character to its ultimate destination (e.g. Moo Moo Farm, Pindleskin, Baal, Ancient Tunnels etc), if you want to equip other characters or complete the grail.