Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Simple guitar songs for teh newb? o_O

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ~Kazama Fury~, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ Diabloii.Net Member

Simple guitar songs for teh newb? o_O

I've started practicing playing some songs with my newly acquired acoustic guitar. I've been asking everyone to name me some simple songs where I can actually start learning and getting the feel.

You guys have any songs in mind?

So far, I've just been practicing the easy parts of any songs I can get a hold of.

Thanks.

2. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight Diabloii.Net Member

easiest song ive heard recently would be button to button by the white stripes. Its just a simple power chord that you hardly even move, and the fingering is so devastatingly simple, that I doubt you would have any trouble pulling it off on your first try.

3. Chynobi

Chynobi Diabloii.Net Member

What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?

Just to shed some light before I start giving you some songs that you hate :p

4. ~Kazama Fury~

Thanks for the suggestion BK.

Chynobi: I appreciate your concern, but I am trying not to be picky at the moment because I really am just focused on getting better. I am also really open to types of music, however I havent been suggested to practice on a country song yet, which I am glad. So I guess, no country.

Songs that I've looked at the tabs for, and tried:

Radiohead - Karma Police
    Our Lady Peace - Life
    Oasis - Wonderwall (though I am lacking a capo)
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven
    Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven (this song is to practice my fingerpicking, but I love his music anyways)
    Theres this popular part of this song by Eric Clapton/Cream which I can do well now. Its usually played in power cords, but can also be played note by note which I managed to do that.
    Linkin Park - Somewhere I belong (theres a part in that song where its really simple, which is what I learned. its the very first bit that I can play that sounds like something!)
    Linkin Park - Every other song that has some acoustic in there... as you can see, I am a Linkin Park fan. I tried to do the morning after... That didnt go too well.
    Kansas - Dust in the Wind (great song, but... too advanced for me)
    Blur - Song 2 (It sounded so bad, I lack rhythm)
    Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit (same as previous, supposedly an easy song to learn?)
    Theres probably more, but thats mainly it. This is my second week. I tried to fit in some time to play, but I have finals coming up.
    Blurry - Puddle of Mud
    Some Coldplay songs such as Don't Panic

I believe I need to learn how to tune the guitar as well. I took it somewhere last time and someone played with it, I think he tuned it. I am going to see another friend sometime soon and ask him to retune it.

5. Riegn

Riegn Diabloii.Net Member

look into some Sublime most are easy and are good for getting a funk vibe. Wrong Way and Santeria (also a good song for some simple leads) are fun :thumbsup:

6. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight Diabloii.Net Member

Buy an electronic tuner. korg has a decent one that will run you ~ 35 bucks, and can witstand multiple droppings. plus, its small , about the size of a deck of cards. I still cant tune my guitar without one yet ( unless im just tuning down to / up from a drop d )

7. Chynobi

Cant really think of any basic songs at the moment apart from

Come as you Are - Nirvana
    Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple

Hmm there might be an answer to your rhythem problem, Guitar Pro.

It helps with the timings and speed also.

Tab files are really small (a few Kb) so no need to worry about space.

8. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge Diabloii.Net Member

i have a copy of guitar pro and if you send me a pm i can hook you up with it and stuff. its the best program ever. it has guitar, bass, keyboard, drums, voicing, tons of instruments, and it all plays along to the song. that is if someone has made a tab of the song. there are a lot though. look around on www.mysongbook.com for songs.

9. onionfarm

onionfarm Diabloii.Net Member

10. MrPipes

MrPipes Diabloii.Net Member

hands down, if you practice enough, Dust In The Wind by Kansas is the best song to play. it's actually quite challenging, the finger picking is moving at quite a fast rate even though the beats per minute is probably around 80 or 90. and if you can sing along to it...man, the ladies will be all over you.

the ladies are already all over me.

edit: for a simple guitar picking song, try "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zepplin. very popular, and it's not that hard to play. the trick is remembering what goes where, as it's so long.

11. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere Diabloii.Net Member

*coughsmokeonthewatercough*

12. Jimi-

Jimi- Diabloii.Net Member

Hey ya with outcast is cool and easy, i suggest you try it,

get guitar pro and use this site, www.mysongbook.com

13. Newman

Newman Diabloii.Net Member

Blink 182 - Adam's Song.

14. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 Diabloii.Net Member

If you are into heavier music go for early Black sabbath songs, the rock like a powerhouse and are simple to play.

15. ~Kazama Fury~

wow, I am really greatful to all of these replies!
    Thank you so much!

Before I forget, thank you for that very nice PM, masterazn. I hope you dont mind that I post it in this thread or you can? It seems more suitable. In any case, I have added you to my AIM.

Riegn: Neat songs! I dont have many of those type of songs. Thanks!

theBlackKnight: Thanks for the suggestion! I had completely forgot about an electric tuner. I'll definate look into that. Do they differ from each other so much? Or one tuner can work for basically any acoustic guitar?

Chynobi: Smoke on the Water... Ah so thats what the song is called! I had started learning it last night. This will be the song I will try to learn first to improve my power chord skills. (I assume even if its just 2 notes, its still considered a power chord?) As for the Nirvana song, I never heard it before. I like it!

Thanks for the guitar pro suggestion. I talked to the friend who lent me his guitar about the program. He mentionned he had totally forgot about it, but he would get it for me. I guess mysongbook.com will be my new favorite site. :)

Jigga-Scrooge: I appreciate the offer. But I think I'll just get it from my friend, I think itll be more convenient. We share almost the same taste in music, so I am sure he wouldnt mind sharing me the tabs.

onionfarm: wow... simply wow. I never heard this song before, but once I started playing it, I loved it! Even though the melody is simple, the lyrics makes the song so beautiful. I am not a religious person, but this song is on repeat now. I think this will be the very first song I learn whole. Do you have any other songs from Pedro The Lion would you recommend? Thanks for the suggestion.

MrPipes: Hey, looks like you're still visiting the forums after all. ;)
    Dust in the Wind was suggested by a previous ex which I started getting in touch with again. She started playing the acoustic a year before I did, she said she was practicing Dust in the Wind. So I decided to get a hold of the song. Loved it! The lyrics and song are beautiful. I showed it to others (who have 3+ exp) decided to learn it too just because its so nice. Yeah Stairway To Heaven is a nice fingerpicking song, but I think I'll focus on Tears of Heaven first for that department.

Raistlin Majere: uh... bless you? :uhhuh:

Jimi-: Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that song. (Ive been trying to remember every popular song out there that had acoustic). Thanks.

Newman: Hiya, welcome to the forums! Though, you were here for awhile already, except that you forgot the old pw? So in that case, welcome back? I'll take a look at the song.

HAMC8112: Depens how heavy. It really comes down to the melody of the song, my taste varies but is open. But usually I am not into heavy stuff. I'll take a look at the songs.

studies... finals... whats that? *picks up guitar* =/

16. Chynobi

If you need any more help just spam me through pm/im/email. Ill answer any questions you have, well try to answer anyway :).

17. onionfarm

onionfarm Diabloii.Net Member

18. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Kazama, check your PMs.

19. ~Kazama Fury~

I already have and commented on it through my third post in this thread:

If you allow me to quote your PM to this thread, I can give you feedback to it, and maybe others might be curious in which path I am going.

I just came back home from groceries, I am hungry so I am going to prepare dinner.

edit: Chynobi: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :worship:

onionfarm: Awesome! I havent tried those songs yet, but I have high expectations. Ty.