Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Simple driving concepts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Mar 17, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Simple driving concepts?

You're stopped at a red light, in the right-hand lane, looking to turn right on red (legal in VA and a lot of other states). You're turning onto a three-lane road. Cars are coming, but none in the far right lane that you're turning into, so you ease yourself out into the lane and then gun the engine to pick up to the pace of traffic.

Perfectly normal, right?

Apparently not. Did just that today, to find the individual in the middle lane having a litter of kittens behind me--flashing lights, horn blaring, the full 9. And by the way, I made sure that any incoming cars across the intersection weren't signalling a lane change into my lane, and that I pulled out when they were spread out enough that I wasn't pulling in next to any of them--I actually sat at the light for about 15 seconds waiting for a good time.

Now before we go any further, let me just say that I know the size of my car, and how to drive it. I'm not one of those morons who pulls out into a lane and a half to turn. I can ease my car into a slot that's 3 inches larger than my car at 60+ mph, so I wasn't too concerned at a slow right turn into an empty lane.

So I pull up at the light, after slamming on my brakes when the brights came on behind me (I don't appreciate those, and will happily show my discomfort with driving blind), and the woman in the beater with the problem screeches up next to me and cranks her window down. I decide to figure out what on earth her problem is and lower my window, to be greeted by a barrage of curse words and screaming about my "wanting to hit her car." All while she's still holding her cell phone to her ear, I might add.

I roll the window back up, and ease forward at the light--no sense dealing with this all the way, so I plan to get ahead of the woman. She decides not to let me, but her 198x whatever was really no match for my 95 Volvo 850 in the Sport setting, and I managed to get in front of her and into her lane (the road bottlenecks into 2 lanes about a quarter mile up from that light) without ever breaking the 45 mph speed limit.

So she drives behind me for three miles off and on her horn. Each horn blast is greeted by my letting off my gas pedal and coasting, and the longer she blasts, the longer I coast, to the point that I nearly came to a full stop more than once. The traffic on the road is heavy at this time of the evening, so the people pulling out into the left lane behind her were coming too fast for her to get out from behind me.

Eventually I get to my turn, and take it, to find her following me still. The next road has speed humps, so I take them at a crawl until the last one, which I catch her off guard by taking at 25, hoping I reach the light in time to make it through just before it gets red, and thus losing her in the process. No such luck. She follows me as I take a turn on a relatively obscure road, then another, and another, so I know she's following me, though at this point I suspect something's up, cause her hazards are on. She's still on the cell phone, by the way.

We wind up in a neighborhood that I used to live in, with complicated and winding streets, and I discover that her car no longer seems capable of breaking 20 mph, so I quickly lose her in a few turns and make it home without a psycho woman following me.

What's the deal? People pull into the right lane all the time while traffic is coming--I never seem to have a problem with it when someone pulls in next to me (unless they're one of those morons driving a Caddy or SUV who has no concept of just how big their boat is and decide they need half of my lane to make the turn). Are some people just so egotistical that they see the road as their sole property, and anyone coming even close to them on the road is not only at fault, but some sort of psycho out to kill them? This woman seemed to think so...

2. Lostprophet

Lostprophet Diabloii.Net Member

This just in: There are horrible drivers in the world. Especially in the DC area.

Man oh man.

3. Tor

Tor Diabloii.Net Member

there are some pretty strange peopel in the world

i personally keep a knife in teh glove compartment just in case

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

especially everywhere it seems

5. rplusplus

rplusplus Diabloii.Net Member

Should have stayed drunk, sitting in your boxxors, and playing WoW is all I have to say. Welcome back to the Working World!

R++

6. Aeval

Aeval Diabloii.Net Member

my cousin likes to keep an airhorn and a megaphone at the ready for such circumstances. and of course, his two middle fingers.

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Maybe she was just starting to drift over into the right lane when you pulled out, and took that as an offense. Too bad for her.
    DC, you are going to run into sphincter-headed dunces for the rest of your life. Let this incident, and those yet to come, serve to remind you of your superior moral fiber; maintain and don't sink to their level. It's all good, you've got a girl, a job, and WoW waiting for you.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

An airhorn sounds like a nice idea, actually. They're small, non-violent, and can be kept in the glove compartment. Moreover, there's nothing likely to enrage some moron more than having a gazillion decible horn blow their hair back while they're screaming through their window at you. Remind me to invest in one--then it can double as a cheering aid during televised US soccer events.

Mixed, 'tis true, and frankly this woman didn't get to me so much as blow me away with her idiocy. If she was starting to drift over, she should have had a signal on, and moreover, I believe it is illegal to change lanes while crossing an intersection anyway, so if anyone was at fault, it would have been her. I posted more because I felt like ranting and calling Aeval didn't cut it (no offense hun, I just articulate things like this better in writing).

9. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng Diabloii.Net Member

lol

10 chars

10. Matt

Matt Diabloii.Net Site Pal

That woman sounds deranged.

11. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

come to think of it, why is it called glove compartment? silly americans...

12. aznbboi16

aznbboi16 Diabloii.Net Member

That reminds me of this odd thing that happened to me and my friend once...

I was in a car with my friend, and we were pulling into this lane behind this middle-aged woman, but she was apparently afraid we were going to pull into the side of her car and slows down and starts yelling, which makes pulling in behind quite difficult btw.

Anyways, we eventually stop behind her at a red light and I'm just joking around with my friend at this point about something completely unrelated and I guess she was still watching us through her rear view mirror and thinks we're laughing at what just happened...

So she gets out of her car, leaves her door open, car still on and then comes to the passenger side window (where I'm sitting). And then she just starts cursing. Like, "what the F were you doing? Were you trying to kill me? You think it's F'ing funny?...etc etc..." Then she storms back to her car after realizing the light is about to turn green and that's the end of that.

Pretty brave/stupid thing to do to get out of your car and go curse at someone whilst leaving yourself and your car very vulnerable...I guess that's how dimwitted people can be when they live in an upper-middle class mostly caucasian area (not trying to be racist...). For all she knew, we could've been dangerous and armed, or could have easily jacked her car. Man I just wish I could see her doing that in the inner city.

13. ScanMan

ScanMan Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like you need a Trunk Monkey.....

Seriously, though, don't mess with these people. You may think the coasting and stuff is a game, they may think about how much nicer your car would look with a bunch on 9mm holes in the rear window.

If she's crazy enough to behave like she did then she's crazy enough to pull a gun.

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

What do you call it then, you oh so enlightened whatever you are?

I was switching lanes today and a guy behind me completely lays down on his horn. So of course I speed up a bit and pull back into my lane. This guy is 20 yards behind me(How his horn was so loud I don't know) and then just floors it. He was going probably 85 on a 25 neighborhood street. I pull into my driveway and who do I see pulled over by a cop? You get three guesses and the Pope is not correct. Cops hide behind a big Blue Spruce tree in the corner of my yard to set up speed traps. The guy could have killed the kids that sometimes go into the street to get their ball or something.

15. Aeval

That is exactly my fear. Especially those people who start following you wherever you go.

my beef is people who act like idiots while on their cell phones. i am all for those laws that ban talking while driving.

16. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Probably one of the earliest concepts regarding driving, is that women can't drive

17. Johnny6

Johnny6 Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe one day cab drivers, bus drivers, and limo drivers everywhere will band together and put an end to their suffrage.

18. Aeval

Dude, that is not funny. I can make that generalization because I am a woman, but I'll be damned if I'm grouped into that category! I can drive just as well as any of you.

that said, all women drivers except me are terrible. so are old people, drunk people, people on the phone, and those that have their heads shoved up their ***.

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Possible, though a) not likely (not so many people carry guns in the middle class neighborhood I was in--not to say it doesn't happen, just not every day), and b), if my car could outrun her 0-45 from a stoplight with me driving irritated, I doubt I'd have too much trouble getting away from her if I saw a gun come out--a few bullet holes in my car? Sure. Her chasing me down and finding me? Unlikely. Slim possibility that she hits me as I speed away? Sure, but no moreso than the possibility that she just shoots me without ever blowing her horn.

Coasting wasn't meant to be a game--it was my way of saying "I can't really see too well with your ****ing brights in my eyes and distracted by your horn blaring, so I'm going to wait until you stop with both to resume attempting to drive." Did I intend to piss her off with it? You're damned right. But I also was not about to drive 45 down a narrow road in heavy traffic with construction everywhere, at night, while being tailgated by a psycho with their brights on and horn blaring, thus distracting not only myself and themselves, but everyone else on the road around me. Better to be driving 13 when something goes wrong than 48.

And besides--a quick tap on the brakes while someone is riding your *** is usually enough of a reality check (ohmigodIalmostputmyengineintotheirbackseat) to get them to at least involuntarily lay off of the horn and reattatch those two middle fingers back to the steering wheel, if only for a few seconds.

20. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

It's too bad that I don't drive or else I would be able to complain about crappy drivers too. Although no one wants a spazzy ADD crazy girl behind the wheel. "Oh look there's a dog with a poofy tail". If I ever decide to pursue getting my license I am sure I will be one of the people you will complain about.