Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

silly scam on B.Net

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by innorton38, Jan 31, 2004.

1. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

silly scam on B.Net

Everyone knows (or should know) not to give out their password to anyone ever. Well I was in B.Net chat room yesterday and there was a guy spamming "type '/w *d2lodrank (your account) (your password)' to find out your rank on the ladder if you don't show up on the official rankings." Well it was clearly a stupid scam but there were a bunch of people saying things like "I typed it and it didn't work!" At least 5 people said things like this so i figured I'd head to the newbie forum to let people know about it. Long story short, don't do anything with your password except enter it to log on to b.net. Good rule of thumb.

2. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Innorton: Actually a cool thing that 1.10 added to b.net chat is the inability to type your password.

Go into a private channel and try typing your password into the window and hit enter. It will give you a pop up window with a warning.

3. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

yeah, the password block is a very nice feature, it seems to have cut down on that scam's incessant spamming...tho it takes some of the fun outta it lol. I used to keep an account with chars named like 'I_duped_a_scammer' and 'whos_laughing_now', all chars with complete cracked sets (cracked sash, sword, armor, etc) and wit the account f listed to my account and vice versa. When they would 'steal' my account I'd msg them and heckle em a bit :xtongue:

but yes, newcomers beware, many people will try many different things to try to scam you, be on your guard. Thx Innorton, we vets gotta keep an eye out for the new blood :xcool:

4. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

That password block is a good idea. Some people are very lucky that's the case :xsmile4: Thanks for the info.

5. SinfulSlave

SinfulSlave Banned

HA! I soooo have to try that Capt... (teehee)

6. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Oh, I wouldn't try that...

At that point they have access to your Cd-Key...

If they start hacking with that account or using 3rd party programs.... You could have your Cd-Key banned from B.net

7. Gibberish

Gibberish IncGamers Member

There is an even sillier scam, mainly because people fall for it.

The old trading for a shako, then they say they need room or something and proceed to put up a regular cap with an emerald in it, so it is green, trying to scam you out of your items.

8. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

you have a very good point, and people should not do what I did unless you have the proper setup. I did plan for that contingency though. When I did this, I had two rigs set up, for self muling on the realms and self rushes and the sort. I also bought another copy of D2 because I lost the cd case to the copy installed on the old computer. So instead of moving the folder around the network to the new computer, a friend of mine that worked at a computer store sold me the battle chest for about 20 bucks (this was while it was 40-50ish in the stores still) and I ran the joke account on the copy that had the missing key. Potentially losing the self muling ability by the scammer getting that cd key banned would have been worth it, for just knowing I got someone's goat (hopefully) :xsmile3:

But thx for the heads up, so kiddies, dont do anything like this unless you have a spare key, or dont mind buying another key!

9. SinfulSlave

SinfulSlave Banned

That is true... you could yank the acct back with bnets password recovery, but they could still get ya banned in the few minutes they might have the acct.
    Shucks!

10. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

The latest one I've seen has a workaround for the password protect. The scammer states you must put dashes between password letters for clarifaction purposes, e.g. P-A-S-S-W-O-R-D. The one I saw read, "Fined out you place on the ladder beyond the listed limit". I whispered the guy and told him his silly little scam would work better if he spelled find correctly. I guess as long as the scammers are fairly stupid we're safe enough.

GB

11. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

I went into a game titled "wf for soj". He showed me the "wf", it was an unidentified gothic bow. lol. :xsmile5:

12. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

You should have given him an Unidentified SoJ in exchange, found in Act 1 Normal :)

13. Petoffen

Petoffen IncGamers Member

x

'Hey, they added this neat new thing in 1.10 that won't let you type your password - try /w myaccount yourpassword, watch a popup window pop up'

Or, they didn't add the feature, and *that's* a new scam:)