Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Silly /players 8 Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Boulos, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Silly /players 8 Question

Hi all,

If I'm doing Hell Meph runs, do I need to type in "/players 8" each time I start a new game? Or do I just have to do it once?

2. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Unless you exit the game completely to window, the /players 8 command stay still eventhough you save and exit your character. This is what i read some while ago in a similat thread asking the same question. but i'm not sure if it will affect other characters or not.

3. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Thanks Suiling. That's twice now that you've answered me first. I could save space and just PM you. :wink3:

4. Suiling

Suiling Banned

I'm still new to 1.11b, but always glad to help. :wink3:

Oh ya, i just to say that last time when i was like you, a newbie to 1.11b, alot of people help me out especially Arreat_Mercenary, who helped me out with the game, and my fishy twice.

SPF = SupPorting Friends forum

5. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Boulos - I'm wondering why you used running Hell meph at players 8 as the example? Are you doing that?
    It increases his health, but only slightly increases the chance that he'll drop 1 or 2 more items. Or do you do it for the experience?

6. Suiling

Suiling Banned

@Drystan: I guess he got a character that can kill Hell Meph at /palyers 8, can he do it for experience too. Maybe that's why he use that command. Anyway Boulos, what character do you use to run him, i mean Hell Meph?

7. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

I guess I'm sort of new. I used to play a lot and then quit for a while. As you can see, I signed up back in 2003.

My character is a level 84 MeteOrb Sorc. I can do Hell Meph at P8 fairly quickly. It does get a little boring sitting there with the Meteor button pushed, but it's better than running around for your life. :)

I'm doing it more for the items than the exp. But if I should happen to hit level 85 while running Meph, all the better.

8. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

In terms of items drops from bosses, players 5 is no different from pl 8. Players 8 won't drop any more than pl 5.
    Bosses are best run of players 3, as it is the first pl settings that increases drop chances (pl 1 and 2 are the same, and players 5 and up won't make a different.) Even then, the quicker the runs the better, despite the increased chance for Meph to drop slightly more items.

If you want experience, pindle on players 8 is great, and he can drop quite a few nice items (most, but not all,) his runs take about 10 seconds, but he doesn't drop great items too often.

From what you said, I take it you use the moat trick or the corner block (so he won't attack back.) Completely fine, I use it too sometimes with my Blizzsorc, but I find that players 1 is fine, and if you can kill him very quickly, players 3 would be ok too.

Hope this helps. GL with your runs and let's hope you get some nice golds from it. :thumbsup:

9. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips Drystan. I do use the moat trick. It's not fool proof though. On P8, I sometimes get one of the Council guys to cast Hydra at my feet. Good thing it doesn't really do any damage to me.

I just got a Pul rune out of a chest. Best rune I've found in a long time.

10. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

I know that first hand as well. My old HC Blizz guardian (now deeds) went to do the moat trick. For some reason the council started targetting me after I lured meph, so I run around dodging them. Next minute, Meph casts blizzard on me. Instant death. :(

That players 5 is the same dropwise as players 8 is only in reference to bosses. Regular monsters are different.

11. Llathias

Llathias Banned

As long as you do not exit from the program (ie. Diablo), both the /players and the /nopickup commands stay active. It is even said that if you type (or Enter-Up Arrow-Enter) the /players comment enough times in a game (without Save&Exit'ing), it'll be remembered in following games allowing you quick access to the text in case you want to change it (like during Baal runs). All this holds as long as you do not click the "Exit Diablo II" in the game menu.

12. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

That's true. I've seen it once. I must've been playing with the settings a fair bit, but it remembered only 1 player setting, not all that were used.

13. Llathias

Llathias Banned

yeah, but once it has the "/players X" in memory, it's easy to change it by <Enter-Up Arrow-Backspace-Desired number-Enter>

OK, it doesn't seem so, but actually easier than typing the command from scratch (especially while still controlling the mouse).

14. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I just thought I would post the actual numbers so you can see the drop differences. I pulled these out of Hrus's MF guide, and corrected them for the unpartied players the player command adds. (Hrus's numbers in the guide appear to use partied players.)

Average number of drops for Meph:
    /p1 & /p2: 5.31
    /p3 & /p4: 5.97
    /p5 and up: 6

So, that's why /p3 is considered optimal, but it you are running a lot faster at /p1 than /p3, you will be best off at /p1.

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Through the whole guide I switch between using "/Players" number and "player bonus" which is the same as "No Drop Exponent" and is 1 for /players1 and /players2, 2 for /players3 and /players4. I know that it might be confusing and I have a note in my local copy of MF guide that I should rework that and use unified number or at least differntiate better between those two. That's if there will be a new version of the MF Guide.

16. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

What is the nopickup command?

EDIT: fix

17. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

What version are we referencing? 1.11b???

Because each time I Save & Exit, I have to type it in again :cry:

I'm v1.11 BTW...

18. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

The nopickup command is /nopickup

Everyone is talking about 1.1x, including 1.10, 1.11, and 1.11b

All these mechanics are the same for all versions.

I've played enough in all three version to be sure that the players and nopickup commands carry over after saving and exiting and opening a new char.

What gives you the impression that the players command is not carring over? I know that when I'm running Baal, I always set the players back to p1 at the beginning of a baal run. I can almost instantly tell if I forget to set the players to 1 because the monsters will have a noticable increase in HP.

Edit: I've seen a few tricks to keep the message history, without tricks the message history is cleared. Regardless of message history, the command is still active.

19. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

Hmmm... Maybe it's because I don't think about it, but when I press the Up Arrow nothing shows up. So the message history is deleted but not the actual command? Plus when I do runs, Pindle for example, it's only p3, so the HP isn't THAT much more, but again, I type it in everytime so I need to do some testing...

20. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Thanks for these! I didn't know the difference, but seeing them, it's really not that great. And even with those figures, it's not guarenteed[spelling?] (I know, averages.)

1.11b here, and it does save over from the previous, unless you exit completely. Maybe you're just not noticing it?

I know it's happened to me once, but I haven't been able to replicate it. It might be the most often used setting, or somethings completely different, but a quick test then got me nothing. :S

Yeah, the message history is deleted, but the command setting will be the last used until D2 is exited completely.
    A simple test I've used, is to go to pl8 shenk normal, see the amount of items dropped, S&E, repeat, S&E, and then goto players1 and see how few items drop.
    Or run a hell boss and realise you can't do much damage to him, and think, "wait, did I forget to change the settings back to 1?" :( I know I have. :grin:

GL Aerwynd!