Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

*Sigh* Well my first HC char is dead, stupid archers... if

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by SnowDrake, Mar 10, 2004.

1. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

*Sigh* Well my first HC char is dead, stupid archers...

I go to the Frigid Highlands WP, blizzard off screen as usual to kill eldritch, as usual 1-2 blizzards kills him, I walk over to see what dropped, BAM I'm dead... a single volley from extra strong might archers.... didn't even have time to hit a full rejuv....(this is in nightmare)

Quite annoyed right now... I suppose level 61 is much better than like if I was 80 something, but I had pretty much all my stuff that was actually usable on her.... (+1 sorc ammy w/ fast cast, lore, stealth, decent rare boots, +2 sorc skills staff... 1.5 mil gold, etc.)

Enh, I think I'm going to take a day or two off diablo right now and then I'll take another shot at it....

2. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

hate to say this, but get used to it. The fact is that there are some chars (sorcs, palis) who tend to be one step from dead wherever they go. Lots of care and experience will get you to recognize where those steps are, and avoid them, but you can never predict them all. It seems that (especially in nm) with 1.10 you are almost guaranteed to lose a couple chars to similar one wrong step deaths... trust me, i've lost more than my share of characters. Each one makes you better though. Good luck...

3. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

Oh I knew I'd die when I started HC.... I'm just kind of mad over the little things such as I didn't give the other person in the game the option to loot body... since he probably would have given it back to me had I asked for it since none of it was really worth anything, just useful if you don't have anything godly....

I was always careful when I saw the might or fanat aura... I just made the mistake of thinking the might aura was on eldritch and didn't quite notice it was still there after I killed him and just walked in....

4. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

I learnt the hard way also. That's how I lost my 2nd trapsin - to a might archer boss - 2 arrows.
    Archer/quill rat packs with the 'wrong' mods can really do some major damage in 1.10. Mainly in hell, but same mods can wreak similar havoc in nm act 5.

5. Kevman

Kevman IncGamers Member

Might Archers

Lost my first Skele in Hell to this :lol:

You pick yourself up, dust off the blood, and start over again :)

What realm are you on? Gat Europe is good for starting off again,
    and you can always /m me (ansettman, unoob, or kevman)

Kev

6. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Were you listening to Anti-Flag at the time?
    If you were, note that you were warned...

7. det

det IncGamers Member

I agree, the pack a punch..and sometimes it is scary how fast your life drops...but dead with 2 arrows :scratch:

Guess I just never knew how lucky I have been so far

8. Smack the Pony

Smack the Pony IncGamers Member

Reminds me when I lost a lvl 87 Sorc to the same configuration in NM due to those pesky archers with fana and whatnot.... And maybe a little too much lag.... And she was not even THAT weak.... Had to take 2 days off D2 cause I was soo pissed :) ( was rushing a friend - he was first chocked and then he laughed hes a.. off ... hehe )

But hey.... You will get over it and learn by it - keep your heads up...

9. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

My sorc recently lost her life in about 0.3 seconds, luckily i pressed full rejuv in about 0.28 seconds, immeadiately followed by alt f4.

In hell, i ran into a group of black souls. Normally i dont need to fear those with thundergods vigor and 85 resist. This particular group had some conviction aura on me though.
    I can't believe i survived that......

The danger is kind of everywhere where you can normally have a chance to recieve damage (even if that damage is absorbed). There are always ways they can multiply that damage by 10 or so.

10. Makhlath

Makhlath IncGamers Member

Don't feel bad, it happens to us all one time or another. Check this thread and you'll see that youy're definately not alone :)

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=126729

Then crack your knuckles and start over again...

-mak

11. Squatdog

Squatdog IncGamers Member

HAHAHA DUMB N00B!!!

...jk.

The thing you really have to be careful of is the unique monsters and their packs. A couple of nasty mods can turn a fairly innocuous mob into a ruthless killing machine...

12. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Common death lvl for sorcs is around 60 and the next one around 70-75. Reason being they have all thier killing skills, and can seemingly own everything but unfortunately they normally dont ahve thier defense/livability issues covered.

I can count how many people I have seen take a 60 sorc out to MF in NM and end up with deeds when they could of been a little more patient and lvled up to 75 easily and been much more prepared and possibly much better equiped.

When I build a MFer I dont even make a NM run until I have maximized my NM EXP and then normally I will get thru Hell and lvl up there before making too many runs. It seems overkill to get to lvl 80+ to MF in NM, but it is all about survivability!

15-20 lvls means maxed attack, maxed safety thus the fastest and safest killing you can do and it is so easy to get from 60-75 that it is insane not to lvl it up first!

Besides, if yo feel the urge to MF with a lvl 60 then go mess with something smaller. Baal Norm or NM Andy. By your gear description Baal Norm could of easily improved you and definetly Andy. Any number of nasty possibilites can be at fridgid, blizz took the old PK Wp and put it to work!

13. Haplon

Haplon IncGamers Member

Get used to it. I'm on Miney the 10th MF Sorc. Your future will include the following. Teleporting into an enhanced group of monsters and dying-you will vow never to teleport into a blind area again, If you have tele and meteor on right and left buttons-you click on teleport when you intended to click on meteor-deeds, being able to tank somewhat in nm you will forget that your in a hell game and try to tank and die immediately-plus a host of other stupid reasons to die.

14. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

I am guessing from the way you described your death you didn't have much, if any, blocking. Eshield is also another good safety option, personally I am all for max block on a sorc, but opinions on that vary. For me the insane fast plinking sound when I am being attacked means juve and teleport away or exit. My other recommendation is P-ruby gear, a 3 socket helm alone gives 114 extra life, which is a lot on a sorc, and a nice artisans armor of the colossus, will add more (3 P-rubies + whatever amount from the colussus suffix). Colussus is available for use at level 22, and artisans is available for use at level 25. My last sorc had max block at level 25 and wore her 3 P-ruby helm and 3 P-ruby artisans armor of the colussus from that level on well into hell for an added 280 life (114 from the helm, 114 from rubies + 52 from suffix for 166 total in the armor). Helms with 3 sockets are fairly easy to find and the armor is easily shopped at nightmare Larzuk, and it makes a world of difference on any character.

Good luck with your next character. :)

15. Tearmaker

Tearmaker IncGamers Member

Problem = found

16. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Bleh, making an untwinked blocking sorc is
    A) Tougher than you all think
    B) Overrated, vita sorcs can be successful
    Not to say that it's impossible to do an untwinked blocking sorc is impossible, but the vita build does have it's own merits and it is much easier to make a solid non-blocker with subpar gear.

As for problem=found, stinger nailed it. If you want to MF in NM, then max out your exp from baal runs and hit 75ish, then start running meph. If you need better gear, normal baal is a nice option, hell you could still level off of him if your really wanted to (I hit 65 with my first 1.10 char, and could have gone further easily...wanted to see how high I could get on the ladder without picking up a destroyer tag).

That and there's a chance he was listening to anti-flag at the time, someone warned him about that ^_^

17. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Greed and impatience kills!

High MF kills

18. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

Well in version 10 there are so many surprises that can kill. Keeps you on youre toes. Second it is not just sorcies but high life characters can melt befor youre eyes. So many little surprises.

More people have quit version 10 because of the frustration, but i love it. Verson 9 was so predictable.

19. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Generally if you are starting untwinked on the ladder a sorc isn't the best choice. Go with a mf skelemancer or lightning trapper. easily the king and queen of untwinked mf. Build up a decent item base in nm and then make the sorc.

20. Tearmaker

Tearmaker IncGamers Member

Hell, you could even shop in A2 normal for a Bone Shield of Deflection. Obviously there's much better shields, but for untweaked, it's not that bad. And a 50% or so chance to block is much better than 0, especially in 1.10 where you don't know what's next in A5 until you get there. That goes for any character.