Shuko-jutsu: The Art of the Claw

xxnothing

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Shuko-jutsu: The Art of the Claw

Awesome guide! This will really help me with my plans for a non-trapper build...
Thanks for putting all the time and effort into sharing this guide with us.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player

what's better?

Cunning Greater Talons of Worth
+3 Traps
+2 LS

or

Witch-Hunter's Hand Scythe of Swiftness
+2 Assassin Skill
+30% IAS
+3 LS

I know the greater talons are faster (-30) by default but with the extra 30IAS on the Hand Scythe, how do you figure which one is faster? What's the calculation?
Short answer is it depends on what your second claw is and how much IAS you can get elsewhere. The tables are linked in the guide.

Hand Scythe has a base speed of -10, GTs are -30.
Lets assume you are using fade and Greater Talons (WSM -30) as a secondary claw.

Hand Scythe gives an average WSM of -20 which requires 63IAS to hit the 9FPA trap break point.
Greater Talons give an average WSM of -30 which requires 42IAS to hit the 9FPA trap break point.

Now you hand Scythe alread has 30IAS, meaning you only need 35 more - A Shael and a Jewel of Fervour in the Helm will do the job. GTs require 3 Jewels of Fervour. If you use JoFs in the Hand Scythe it will still need 3 holes.

If one of the claws only gets two sockets, this could make a big difference. In therms of speed, it will depend on how many sockets they get. In terms of skills, the HS is better as the +2 Assassin will help MB, WB etc.

Dogen

Diabloii.Net Member

My primary claw at the moment is a Greater Talon with +3 Trap, 30 IAS and +2 LS. It only got one socket so IAS is at 45 with a JoF.

After reading through the IAS tables you linked to, it looks like the WSM would be an average so a GT + HS would be -25 (?) so my required IAS would be 52 (please correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm new at this).

If I wear LoH gloves which has 20% IAS, then with my primary claw I'm already hitting 9 FPS right? I follow what you're saying though, for a secondary claw, I'd probably want to focus on +skills which the Hand Sythe has the advantage.

I'm just starting to build this character so I don't have uber claws yet but out of these, what would you select and how would you configure them?
1os Greater Talon +3 Trap, +2 LS, 30% IAS (currently socketed with 15% IAS, +13 All Res)
1os Greater Talon +3 Trap, +2 LS
unsocketed Hand Sythe +2 skill, 30% IAS, +3 LS​

Thank you for the guide by the way. It's been extremely helpful.

Last edited:

maxicek

Moderator Single Player

The IAS on the secondary claw is not counted.
Is this a PvP or a PvM build? I would probably use the Greater (I assume you meant Greater, not Blade) Talons so you don't need more IAS.

Dogen

Diabloii.Net Member

The IAS on the secondary claw is not counted.
Is this a PvP or a PvM build? I would probably use the Greater (I assume you meant Greater, not Blade) Talons so you don't need more IAS.
Yes I meant 'Greater' sorry for the confusion (I corrected it)

Haha, I'm kind of kicking myself now for having traded for the Hand Sythe. :hammerhead: Oh well...

I usually play PvM.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, hope its ok to necro this thread. I was having some discussion with others on claw shopping. Alvl (affix level) vs ilvl is a surprisingly tough calc, and I hadn't seen this data anywhere, but I already had a sheet setup i had made for analyzing rerolling druid pelts. Anyways I calc'd that in order for the exceptional claws that anya sells in hell to have a chance of 3traps (alvl 60), they need to be ilvl 80. Shopping gives ilvl = clvl +5, so I think clvl 75 should be the practical minimum one uses to shop trapsin claws.

As mentioned in the guide, the "higher the clvl the better" seems to be true. Ofc with no difference from lvl 94 onwards (ilvl 99 is max). I only looked at ilvl 80 vs ilvl 99, but the increased affix pool gave <3% decrease in chance for 3traps, and the increase in chance to become exceptional or elite was approximately 11%. There may be some other interesting ilvl breakpoints in between those two, where the affix pool overshadows the upgrade chance, but I doubt it, and I'll leave it to others to calc :).

Also almost forgot to mention. A great idea I heard from someone not on the forum is to get your dexterity between 69 and 72 while shopping, so all of the claws that can spawn staffmods will show up as having a red background since you don't have enough dex to equip them. This should help save a load of time, as you don't need to look at any with no red background (should be able to not hover over >80% of the claws with this trick). I think anya can also only sell greater talons and scissors quhab out of the exceptional claws and blade talons and scissors katar out of the normal ones, which would expand the dexterity range for this trick to 56-75.

Let me know if this was already common knowledge or posted elsewhere, but I hadn't seen these numbers and thought it would be a nice minor addition to this awesome guide.

References

Last edited: