Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shrine question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by In the name of Zod, Apr 25, 2008.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Shrine question

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/shrines.shtml

Was just reading through a page on Arreat Summit on shrines and it said that the Resist Poison Shrine will make a player immune to poison? I've never heard this before. In the table above it also has listed that the shrine gives +75% poison resist. Are they mixing words?

Also, does anyone know the exact time that resist shrines last in hell? Another question, do monster shrines also create Champions. It says it does but again I've never heard nor seen this happen, only uniques from my experience.

2. drool

drool IncGamers Member

Re: Shrine question

The shrine will give resists if you are already poisoned. In addition, it sets any subsequent poisoning durations to zero. You are effectively immune to being poisoned - the resists only come into play if you were poisoned when you activated the shrine.

The times at arreat summit seem to be correct. Resists should last 3600 frames / 144 seconds.

As for Champions, I only thought they turned into Uniques as well.

3. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I didn't know that... I wonder why they didn't make you 'cannot be frozen' when you use a resist cold shrine as well.

I think monster shrines can create Champions as well. Or at least I think I have seen that happen.

4. In the name of Zod

Thank you for the prompt replies. :smiley: Normally there is a limit of 50% reduction to poison length right?

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Really? Evil Urns can create champions when activated, but I don't think monster shrine can.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I'm fairly certain I've seen a monster affected by a monster shrine turn into a ghostly one, but this happens with evol urns too, so I'm far from certain.

I have seen monster shrines in hell create uniques with only 2 unique modifiers, though.

7. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

That would be 75%, as there are items that have that much poison length reduction. :azn:

8. HellHoundBarb

HellHoundBarb IncGamers Member

IIRC I saw a ghostly monster appear when I used a monster shrine. It was a group of monsters, with one ghostly monster in it.

HHB

9. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Yes, Monster Shrines are not limited to creating uniques only. I've met Fanatic, Ghostly, Champion and Berserker monsters as well.

BTW, Resist Poison shrines would be VERY useful to save in untwinked single-pass games, to use against Andariel. Very useful indeed.

10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

They completely rock against lilith as well.

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

No, the dmg rate should be decided on hit, and not rechecked after hitting a poison shrine. So yes, the resist bonus is only useful for the poison dmg dealt on the initial hit (a single frame of dmg), which does not get nullified through setting the poison length to 0.

12. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

Another great use for poison shrines is protection from spider stairtraps. The Kurast Temples and Nihlthak's level sometimes have groups of spiders immediately surrounding you when you enter. Their poison is brutal, it can drain all your life in a few seconds. I suppose it could be handy against Achmel's poison aura too.

I've never seen a Monster Shrine create a champion monster. I go to great lengths to ensure every monster shrine is used, whenever I find one. The result has always been a unique monster. If it's possible to create a champ, then I've been extraordinarily unlucky not to see one. Evil urns occasionally produce a champ, I see that a lot.

Monster Shrines also will not affect existing uniques/champs/minions. The targeted monster must be normal.

13. In the name of Zod

So if you get poisoned on the 143rd second of that shrine effect duration then you will benefit from the 75% bonus for the full duration of that infection. But the poison length bit will only last a second.

14. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

The poison won't even last for a frame. It simply won't be applied. In which case, if you get hit with poison damage at 143rd second of the shrine duration, you will not get poisoned.