Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shrine of Summon Bashiok

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by adivirgi, Sep 5, 2010.

1. adivirgi

adivirgi Diabloii.Net Member

Shrine of Summon Bashiok

K, so what the heck is going on with Shrines? All I know so far is what I've read on this website (for those who haven't read it click the link)

http://www.diablowiki.net/Shrine

Based on what J Willy says, "the pure mechanic of shrines, a random powerup that just appears in the world for no reason, we don't really want to literally bring that back"

I dunno about you guys, but I kinda liked the idea of shrines. I liked that there was something random about them, it made the gameplay a bit more fun. I think we can all agree that some of the shrines in Diablo 2 were pretty boring, and can probably be improved (or replaced) in some way.

Experience Shrines, skill shrines and Monster Shrines were three of the coolest shrines in the game and I would love to see them brought back. Can you guys think of any new shrines or "power ups" that you would like to see in Diablo 3?

Hopefully Bashiok can give us an update on their status.

Anthony

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Shrine of Summon Bashiok

He didn't say all shrines not coming back, he said the random ones. In D1, cauldrons could make you stronger, or weaker. Saving and retrying was common to avoid the bad, but get the good. D1's couldn't be rerolled, but they were unknown until clicked.

For shrines in general, we have already seen them. There's a Wizard gameplay video that shows one + a graphic over the char's head. I doubt we'd know much on them specifically, but we do know they're implemented.

As for new ones, I'd like the monster shrine to have a bigger group this time. They could even hunt for the player. Heck, make them stronger and "fanatic" when attacking. ;)

I'm not good at thinking of more new ones. Mostly it's seeing what we have (already some good ones), and improving on some.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

as much as i liked the random nature of D1 shrines the save and reloading to avoid the bad got old fast. D2 did it much better i think but it is still not good enough. people would rush shrines to get the benefit no matter what. i constantly saw people with full health click on health shrines/pools. they need to make it where all party members get a click to further help promote co-op play

4. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Fire shrines were interesting when I got trigger happy ;P

5. adivirgi

adivirgi Diabloii.Net Member

a rune shrine/altar would be cool. tocuhing it can give you a rune and also attachs that rune to all abilities for 60 seconds.

that would change up the gameplay and give a sample of each of the runes and their effects on abilities. it would familiarize new players to the rune system.

i like the idea of a monster shrine that summons a whole group of champions. and maybe gives a reward at the end if you defeat them all.

also, i wonder if wells will be back too.

6. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

Monster shrines were fun but they ought to have been implemented like evil urns were and spawn an entire pack at the shrine rather than turning one existing monster a couple of screens away to a unique.

A cursed shrine isn't particularly fun but when the shrine describes its effect it is beyond ridiculous. Every time I see a fire shrine I go WTF!? I'm not going to click it so the shrine has both wasted my time and occupied a minute, but not entirely irrelevant, portion of my computers memory. It would be better to have not bothered to spawn anything at all than to stick a fire shrine there.

Wells are nice, but I rarely do I come across a replenishing shrine and have my character at less than full health or mana.
    I cannot remember the last time I benefited from an elemental resistance shrine, but I know that they have saved the lives of many an untwinked single-pass hardcore character.
    Gem shrines are great fun. I used to always keep a flawless amethyst on all of my characters in case I came across a gem shrine.
    Skill shrines are nice, but I am compulsively forced to rebuff everything on my character once I run across a skill shrine. This is particularly bad with a summoning necromancer as I have to execute and re-spawn my entire army.
    Experience shrines were excellent.
    Combat shrines made for great fun with the LCS and were helpful too. I bet that many people spent the entire duration of the shrine gawking at their shiny new 100K+ attack rating. I know I have.
    The negative, throwing potion giving, shrines maybe maybe have a place in act 1 normal for a character build that really wants to be a potion thrower for the first act but have no place in any of the next 14 acts.

With the direction that combat is headed with Diablo 3 I see buffing shrines becoming even more important than they were in Diablo 2. Consider, you come through a couple of rooms with unusually tough monsters a bit worse for wear and you have been loosing more than the health globes have been giving back. Heading into the next area there is a shrine and it buffs your armor, damage, or whatever and now you have your second wind. You are ready to come out ahead against the next group and gain more from health globes than you lose. I think that shrines could serve a powerful purpose in adjusting or regulating the rhythm of combat and in giving a player a little bit of an edge to prepare them for a new challenge.

There are many subtle ways that shrines could effect combat in Diablo 3. One idea for a shrine that I think would be flashy and cool is one that for five seconds allows you to cast each of your skills once for free without any cooldown or casting delay. This gives you five seconds to unleash everything you've got before you have to return to normal regulated combat. Another idea is a shrine that for 15 seconds makes each and every monster you kill drop a health globe. Given that we won't be returning to town at any time via town portals a durability repair shrine might be useful. Although it isn't original a magic find shrine with a short intense duration could be very dynamic and change up the pace of the game. I think that it would have to automatically trigger as soon as it comes up on your screen in order to avoid people herding and mortally wounding groups of monsters together before they activate a MF shrine that they have found. I would love a rare easter egg shrine that gives your character a silly hat for the rest of their duration in that game.

You could also have shrines whose effect is sometimes a benefit and sometimes a curse. For example, a shrine that attracts monsters to you from far off screen all around. Another example is a shrine that gives you enhanced speed but gives you restless legs such that you can't stop - you just keep going in whatever direction you are headed and bounce off of obstacles until the duration expires.

You could have a shrine that is actually a shrine where you all your character does is pray to whatever gods. After you pray at a given large number of these shrines you get a bountiful reward from your gods for your continued religious reverence during your noble work in ridding the plane of the servants of hell.

Maybe that's enough ideas for one post. I wouldn't want to frighten anyone with my Frankenstein creation of loquacious bricks and mortar.