Shout/Iron Skin defense questions

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Shout/Iron Skin defense questions

I'm making a HC BvA and I have some questions:

First, why do a couple guides say max Iron Skin first, then put your remaining points into shout? Shout provides more +defense, unless I'm wrong.

Second, on your average BvB, what is the defense and chance to hit difference between max Shout + 1pt Iron Skin, and 20 Shout/20 Iron Skin?

GreyGhost

Banned
I think that shout and iron skin are calculated differently, with iron skin adding to base def while shout adds a %-percentage on top.

Maybe you can have someone test the second question for you if they have a character editor or something. *Remember that dexterity plays an important role in blocking too, so don't rely solely on defense.

Barloc

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm making a HC BvA and I have some questions:

First, why do a couple guides say max Iron Skin first, then put your remaining points into shout? Shout provides more +defense, unless I'm wrong
At lvl 1,iron skin starts at 30% def bonus and shout starts at 100%.
either one of them add 10% per lvl afterwards with no other differences
in how its calculated to your defense. I just tried to test and I get the same
number if i remove/add 1 to iron skin or remove/add shout.

You don't have to cast iron skin to get a def bonus of course, but since you
need to BO anyway, then I would shout, making BO last alot longer. Plus it'll
add tons to berserk damage.

Barloc

Diabloii.Net Member
Second, on your average BvB, what is the defense and chance to hit difference between max Shout + 1pt Iron Skin, and 20 Shout/20 Iron Skin?
well i dunno if i'd look at it that way but i'd say 30k defense is a good number to use as a basis for def calculations. 19 in iron and 33 wc with gear/warcry weapons is gettin me 23776, and thats with 1908def fort and 450def arreat, no special prebuff -30k easy with some more prebuff items. Barbs using higher eth
armour/helm are gonna be even more, like 40k+ so I say 30k avg.

You can use this to calc chance to hit.
100 * AR / (AR + DR) * 2 * alvl / (alvl + dlvl)
AR = Attack Rating; alvl = Level of Attacker; dlvl = Level of Defender; DR = Defense Rating

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
A point in Shout is the same as a point in Iron Skin, correct? 10% per point.

Only difference is that Shout is party-friendly and synergises with BO, BC and Berserk.

I'd say max Shout before putting another point in Iron Skin.

I think it's always been Shout before Iron Skin as the general rule.