Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should WD have a form of healing

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by kavlor, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

Should WD have a form of healing

Its not always the saintly good types that have forms of healing and Im sure the function of witch doctors in tribes was to heal people.I think usually they make a concoction that they apply to a wound with a leaf or something.

I mean rather than have some overpowered healing spell he could have some steady over time healing like Paladins pray but applied to players individually and for a fixed duration.He could have something he applies that give temporary life leech to players a bit like reverse lifetap but not as over powering(as low as 3%).He could have a healing cloud that you have to walk into to get healed and only last a short period.Healing could just be something conveniant between fights rather than in the midst of battle to prevent its abuse(Slow animation slow application etc).

2. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Re: Should WD have a form of healing

I wouldn't mind some kind of healing, though I think it'd be much more flavourful and interesting if it related directly to combat and was a kind of 'dark' healing - something like Soul Harvest, but with life instead of mana.

I'm not a fan of the idea of having healing outside of combat, because I feel that as it is, downtime is attempting to be kept at a minimum in D3, and the skill would end up being pretty useless.

3. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

The life steal buff sounds like a good idea. Although, to keep pace with the fast pacedness, I think the WD should have some frenzy buffs.

4. phool

phool IncGamers Member

destroy pet for healing rather than damage, gain life steal off pets' attacks... that kind of thing seems most likely, along with the obvious dot or direct damage health leech type spells.

5. SEANBCOOL

SEANBCOOL IncGamers Member

Makes sense. He is a Witch Doctor, after all. Some kind of sacrificial healing would work well.

6. CombatShrine

CombatShrine Banned

I thought he did have a healing spell

doesnt the locust swarm ability give him health?

its just like the crypt lord's ultimate attack from WC3:TFT, right?

A healing spell doesn't seem terribly out of flavor for him. After all, Alkor dabbled in potions and salves ^_^.

7. Typoko

Typoko IncGamers Member

Hi!

http://www.diablowiki.net/Locust_Swarm

It's nothing like the Nerubs ultimate. It's single target spell that "leaps" from the victim to another enemy if it's nearby. For an this kind of spell to heal also, it would be pretty imba. You also can enchant your mongrels(summons) with this spell just by casting it on them.

8. Cormac McArt

Cormac McArt IncGamers Member

You're talking of some different , nerfed healing for the Witch Doctor , unlike Paladin's Healings.
    Here's a comparison:
    In AoE2(TC) the Monk unit was able to use Automatic , Ranged , No-Delay , Infinite Healing upon Injured Unit (obviously) which was extremely cool.
    In AoE3 the Priest unit was able to use "Bandage Healing" that can affect a Group of Injured Units over some short time but is Non-Ranged , Delay-having and Non-Automatic which is quite stupid.

AoE2TC > AoM , AoE3 and D2LoD > D3 ...

9. paperkut

paperkut IncGamers Member

Witch doctors were people that treated ailments, or healers. So it only makes sense to give them a healing spell...and for that matter makes no sense at all to call the class a witch doctor without one.

The witch doctor's healing spell should heal others, not himself.

I see it as a powder or something of that sort that he throws on allies granting them something similar to the d2 necro's life tap for a short period of time.

10. Cormac McArt

Cormac McArt IncGamers Member

Yes this is the Witch Doctor. That kind of Healing Skill makes sense.

11. CombatShrine

CombatShrine Banned

I dunno

didn't blizz say though were staying away from party-buff type skills, and focusing more on dps?

A healing spell that you can't use on yourself wouldn't fit along that framework imo.

12. Banehide

Banehide IncGamers Member

If the "doctor" doesn't have some kind of Healing Others ability, I think blizzard will have completely missed an obvious skill for this class. I don't think the character design team is that clueless either. (i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt).

The real question is HOW they will incorporate the healing ability. I could see them doing something like the D2 barbarian's find potions ability, where the WD could hornk healing orbs from dead bodies, or just toss them out like his flaming skull. That makes a lot of direct sense - if the WD in "real life" could give a person a "potion" to make them better, in the game, he could just "give" healing orbs to other characters. (and we could overlook the medicinal resources needed to make the pots just the same way we over look the fact that he has an endless supply of flaming skulls he carries around with him... where, exactly? exactly.)

13. Banehide

Banehide IncGamers Member

Hmmm... in the new Failoc-Alypse game just released by Blizzard for the BlizzCon line-wait, if you scroll far enough through the game Tips, you get to a Tip that say "The Witch Doctor is Not a Licensed Professional. Fair Warning."

I wonder what kind of implications this has regarding the WD's ability to heal others?

Interesting...