Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should voting be a right or privilege?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yossarian, Nov 8, 2006.

?

If you were to take out one of the new classes from the Diablo 3 lineup.....

1. Wizard

6.8%
  2. Witch Doctor

22.0%
  3. Demon Hunter

30.5%
  4. Barbarian

23.7%
  5. Monk

16.9%
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

Should voting be a right or privilege?

Driving is a right you must earn should we entrust the right to choose the leader of our country to just anyone? Should there be some type of political knowledge test to be able to vote? Should people have to show a basic knowledge of platforms and issues before being allowed to tick the box?

2. kavehtabriaz

kavehtabriaz IncGamers Member

IMP people with atleast a dimploma should be able to vote

3. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

I know plenty of idiots with diplomas (HS, college, and PhD) who don't have a clue about politics or the issues.

The predetermined knowledge test would be nice, but the administrators would always be rigging it to favor certain groups or people.

To vote, get at least 1 of the following 2 questions correct:
    1. George Bush's favorite food is:
    2. Name all of the Democratic presidents, including the year each was elected, plus the president of Uzbekistan in each of those years:

4. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Voting is neither right nor privilege, but duty.

5. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

If we can ask any 18 year old kid to take up arms and fight a war and possibly give his life for his country, then the least we could do is to give him a voice in deciding his future.

Right rather than privilige.

6. Dstarfelia

Dstarfelia IncGamers Member

I think that if you pay Taxes you should vote. Because Taxation without representation is a bad thing. This even goes for people who are not 18 yet and pay taxes. (like me) I know who I would vote for and i have very good reasons. And I dont believe people who just live off Welfare should vote. But then i think i should vote and im just 16. Thats just my 2cents.

7. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

I think you agree with me that the definition of "knowledge" and "opinion" is a thin line in politics. Even people of vast experience in political sciences sometimes lose the track of which is which. And letting this line cloud in the exams - so that one could be excluded on the grounds of holding a wrong opinion - would be abhorrent.

The analogy is not bad at all - there are things that Émile Durkheim would've called "social facts" and therefore, wrong opinions, both in politics and in traffic. In both kind of situations, it is possible for a person with faulty opinions to jeopardise not only herself but those around her as well. "I can do a U-turn here" has it's equivalents in politics. But here's the kicker: even when you're getting your driver's license, you're not asked if you think you should be able to drive the left lane, say, because they do so in Britain, but whether or not it is, according to the laws of the Union and the State in question, lawful to do so. The opinion, albeit it could be significant, is actually never tested per se. The same cannot be, to the same extent, said about "political awareness test".

8. WildBerry

EDT: Removed a duplicate post.

Then I believe you believe that representation without taxation is harmful as well?

9. Dstarfelia

Yes sir i do believe that. People who dont contribute to the pool shouldnt decide how that money is spent. It just doesnt make sense to me.

10. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Since it is a right to vote, those who don't vote shouldn't be allowed to complain!
    So only those who vote can complain, that's a privilege! Uhm, did I miss the subject?

11. WildBerry

You do realise that there is such a thing as "natural unemployment", and that roughly every 20th working-aged person will be in this condition, and not all of them willingly? What about those on sick leave? If you break a leg and are have only ever done bodily work with a lot of lifting involved, should you be exempt from being represented?

12. Dstarfelia

Im talking about people who deal drugs, and have like ten kids and just live of the government. I mean if the person is disabled yeah i guess the could vote, but even the people who are disabled, broken leg and such can work doing something else than manual labor. I really cant say much more though. Im not experienced much in the world yet!

13. WildBerry

So it is this kind of people who are on welfare?

Oh my...

God forbid you should ever be in the unfortunate situation of accepting welfare. *Poof*! You'd suddenly magically start dealing drugs and the 10 kids would appear from nowhere. :undecided:

Kidding aside, I can see where you're coming from. In this kind of thinking - you must first (in the case of your view, contiunously) perform beneficial acts to the society in order for it to reciprocate, and I think it is, my poor attempt at humor notwithstanding, basically acceptable a stand.

I am more worried by the slippery slope that lies therein: because the train of thought introduces the concept of "act beneficial to the society", there must be some way of evaluating which acts are valuable and which ones are not. From this system it is a short walk to the evaluating exactly how much benefit any given act is providing - that can be easily done with measuring it's worth in money. This is not very different from franchise based on amount of taxes paid, and removing the "one-man-one-vote" -system. Though I do not believe the old phrase of history repeating itself, it is entirely possible something with close resemblance to a historic occurence to take place.

14. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Other people who can't vote in your system:
    students
    housewives
    retirees

I think your system sounds kind of dumb. Just my two cents. :flowers:

15. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

The government deals with everyone. So everyone should have a say in how they are dealt with. But since we can't be having kindergarteners vote, there has to be a minimum voting age. As 18 is the age of independence so to speak, it is a reasonable place to draw the line.

Other people who shouldn't be allowed to vote:
    None (I think even felons should have the right to vote)

16. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

An earned (and fairly earnable) privilege.

17. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Isn't it kind of ironic in America that an 18 year old can vote to lower the legal drinking age from 21 to 18... if such a law was ever tabled that is.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

If you had to pass a political aptitude test to vote, it would not only raise the chances of the election actually meaning something but it would make the whole thing more manageable by an order of magnitude or three.

Well no, they could only vote for a candidate they hope would vote for the bill. Unless it were a referendum (not sure exactly how those work in the U.S.).

19. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

What a luxury, something i do not know. Overhere it is vote or go to jail with a silently added: and if you vote for that certain party and we find out there will be consequences!

20. skihard

skihard Banned

*snicker* someone said Duty, *snicker*