Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should there be shieldless blocking in D3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by CCCenturion, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CCCenturion

CCCenturion IncGamers Member

Should there be shieldless blocking in D3?

One thing I didn't quite get in D2 was that if your character didn't have a shield, you couldn't block attacks. Obviously, shields are better for blocking than weapons, but a skilled swordfighter should still be able to deflect blows using his weapon. At least that's what the movies tell me, anyway.

Would anyone else here like to see weapons giving a % chance to block in D3? (Or even in the new D2 patch?)

2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Should there be shieldless blocking in D3?

WoW had the Parry stat specifically for this purpose. Unknown if D3 has the same mechanic.

The closest thing would be "Dodge" chance which is now tied to stats.

3. Ouroboros

Ouroboros IncGamers Member

Seems very logical and shoudn't be hard to incorporate. +1

4. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

This is actually something I've always missed in games!! They act like the only thing that could possibly come between you and fast deadly objects is a shield! Humbug!

I guess there's the Dodge skills from the Zon and the Sin's weapon block, but I think it should be universal where weapons just have a chance to block anyways. You could even have different base weapons with different blocking, like a Main Gauche could be used in place of a shield and could be used to attack. It would also open up magical mods increasing defensive rating on weapons, even balancing defense with offense, skills to boost weapon defense, etc.

Obviously, shields DO do it better, otherwise no one would have ever used them, but it shouldn't be all or nothing.

5. cralz

cralz IncGamers Member

It would have to depend on the attack coming from the monster as well, if you wanted to get technical about it. As in, a sword can block sword attacks, (and probably some others), but a sword wouldn't block a giant club or fist very well. Of course, D2 was not this technical (somehow two claws can block a poison missile), but it may add some interesting differences to PvP

6. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

A move later learned by Wolverine in his game where he deflects a regular missile with his claws.

7. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

It is similar to the open wounds problem. Shouldn't all edged wepons have some chance of open wounds? That is the whole point of hitting something with a sword--to open wounds.

The problem is, I would expect us to actually see the nice cool animation of the character blocking with the weapon. Maybe this would be difficult for Blizzard to do with so many angles that weapons can be coming at your character. For example, blocking a claw to the belly would look silly if it was the same animation as blocking a giant axe to the head, and what about things that crawl on the ground and swing at your legs? They would need more blocking animations for that. Blizzard might be too lazy for this sort of thing.

I would want it in though, for sure.

8. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

Yeah that would be really awesome. But it probably would take too much work to make it look right.

9. Funkopotamus

I would have accepted some kind of coverall blocking animation for each weapon type. If not that, having them swing really quick when they were getting hit would look like they're blocking with their weapon.

10. Runestar

Runestar IncGamers Member

So if I wield a shield and a 1-handed weapon, should I be able to block and parry simultaneously? :crazyeyes:

11. CCCenturion

Now that you mention it, I do think it would be cool if all edged weapons had a chance at open wounds, and all blunt weapons had a chance at crushing blow. It already seems that most (if not all) attacks will have a chance at a critical strike.

Back to the blocking question, they could probably get away with just a few general blocking animations: low, high, and center.

12. Nogan

Nogan IncGamers Member

Considering that a shield would be hard-pressed to block a lot of the things it already does in the Diablo universe, I think general weapon blocking would work just fine. I'd like to see even more specifications though, such as less cumbersome weapons being easier to block with (swords). Just to echo the above, I also like the idea of innate Open Wounds for edged weapons, crushing blow for blunt weapons, etc.

13. Typoko

Typoko IncGamers Member

Hi!

Just to add some presented info here:

Conjured Armor
    * Passive Skill
    * Description: Magical armor surrounds the wizard increasing block chance by 2%.

This is from diablowiki. Conjuring tree seems to have skills for melee wizard and i'm not sure if wizards will be able to use shields. Atleast magical ways like these could be used to block with anything, tho animations set some kind of a limit.

14. Funkopotamus

I vaguely recall there being a... I forget which unit usually has it, but it's X chance to block Y damage. In this situation, it would probably make sense that lighter weapons block more often but block less damage because, in exchange for being lighter and faster, they're easier to power through.

15. BattleBot

BattleBot IncGamers Member

Block, parry, dodge... I want it all. Sound effect should be sufficient.

16. akybosu

akybosu Banned

What is defense for then?
    I think it's the capability of the hero to avoid atacks.If some heroes will have feats like dodge or parry for the fun,it's good,but dont forget you already have defense.

17. CCCenturion

I think that's actually a great question, even if you were asking it rhetorically. In D2 we had two types of defense: the defense rating you get from armor, and the chance to block if you use a shield. Interestingly though, shields actually had defense AND chance to block. So I think it's obvious that the game developers had something in mind other than just blocking when they were thinking of what "defense" really means. Maybe it's just 100% damage reduction if the attack hits your armor. I think that's a little simplistic, though.

I think we'd all like to see combat becoming more realistic as video games (not just D3) continue to evolve, and these are the sorts of questions I hope the game developers are asking themselves.

18. akybosu

akybosu Banned

It was not a rhetorically question but I think your answer with 100% of DR is the closest thing of what defense is.

19. SlechtWeerBeer

SlechtWeerBeer IncGamers Member

It increases the block chance; it doesn't grant a block chance.
    You still need a source of blocking to get an increase to the block chance.

----

Wouldn't blocking with your weapon involve not attacking, which means the other 1500 monsters get a swing at you, and you get parrylocked, rather than blocklocked? One less benefit to not using a shield.
    Also, would you add a stat that yields Increase Parry Speed, or would IAS work with that?

20. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

That's a good point. We need to keep in mind that so far, the spirit of Diablo hasn't been about deftly deflecting our enemies attempts to kill us - it has been about absorbing damage while we smash our foes to a large quivering bloody mass that will stain the sands of the deserts for a hundred years.