Should I Up this to the Elite?

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Diabloii.Net Member
Should I Up this to the Elite?

Nightmare Big D dropped a perfect Skins of the Vampirmagi last night (as in resist all +35%). I know that the character level requirement will be whatever the required level is for wyrmhide +7, but is this worth the runes for the elite version? What am I looking at in terms of overall defense? If it's only going to add 100 or so to the defense, then it probably isn't worth the runes.

Barabas

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Should I Up this to the Elite?

You're looking in a result of 850 - 980 , so a difference of 550 - 700 defense between non-uped and uped.

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm... That's pretty significant. Body armor with a defense around 900, +35% resist all, and a paltry strength requirement to boot. Hmmm.... It might be worth upping and socketing....

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member

actually, the defense varies from 800 to 1034, so with perfect roll upgrading will give you 755 more defense. I'm still quite sad that my own upgrade left as low as 917 :(

edit. and of course, the only thing you can socket it with is 15 all res jewel (with or without 2nd mod)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Mine is even lower, but still pretty sexy:

Skin of the Vipermagi
Wyrmhide
Defense: 877
Durability: 21 of 24
Required Strength: 84
Required Level: 57
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0x98bd75c9
+8 to Strength
+120% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 13
All Resistances +50
Required Level +7
30% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (1: 1 used)

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Only do it if you need it for yourself. You will only make a profit if the base defense is significantly beyond the average and the price only gets really high if MDR is perfect as well.

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Diabloii.Net Member

Only do it if you need it for yourself. You will only make a profit if the base defense is significantly beyond the average and the price only gets really high if MDR is perfect as well.
When I said it was "perfect" I meant that it had perfect resist all (+35%), and 13 MDR, which I also think is perfect. I was under the impression that all Skins of the Vampermagi had exactly 279 defense. I wasn't even aware there was a range. Or maybe you were suggesting that it's value would only be high if I got a high roll on the upped version? And you're also suggesting the upped version would be worth LESS than the non-upped version if I don't get a good roll?

Couple other questions, is the armor value you get on the upped version totally random? In other words, when you say 800-1034, is there an equal chance of all 235 possibilities occuring, so I'd have less than a 0.5% chance of getting a "perfect" upped version? Also, why is there a range on the upped version if the standard version has a fixed defense? (Assuming I'm right with my initial supposition - I thought they all had +120% defense for a total of 279.)

lionheartthebrave

Diabloii.Net Member

Also, why is there a range on the upped version if the standard version has a fixed defense? (Assuming I'm right - I thought they all had +120% defense for a total of 279.
Unique's have the base defence set to max+1 iirc, giving all SotV 279 defence

When it is upped in the cube, the wyrmhide's base defence is chosen randomly, so the total defence varies

With vamp gaze upping can actually reduce the defence

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member

Couple other questions, is the armor value you get on the upped version totally random? In other words, when you say 800-1034, is there an equal chance of all 235 possibilities occuring, so I'd have less than a 0.5% chance of getting a "perfect" upped version? Also, why is there a range on the upped version if the standard version has a fixed defense? (Assuming I'm right with my initial supposition - I thought they all had +120% defense for a total of 279.)
Yes, it's completely random, what defense you get on upped version. As every item in the game, that has "enhanced defense +%" -mod, will have the max base defense +1 before ed. In this case, Serpentskin Armor has base defense 127. But, the upgrading doesn't work like that. When upgrading, the base defense gets rolled, so that's why normal Vipermagi has fixed defense, but upped version doesn't.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Or maybe you were suggesting that it's value would only be high if I got a high roll on the upped version? And you're also suggesting the upped version would be worth LESS than the non-upped version if I don't get a good roll?
I meant the base def after upgrading. Regarding the value, the new item could be worth less on a bad roll, as you still have a chance for a good roll when it hasn't been upgraded yet.

Dodgydave

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd also bear in mind what character was going to use it.

If you're not going to finish with 10k+ def I wouldn't bother.