Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should I go with blocking on my meteorb sorc?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Warlock099, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Warlock099

Warlock099 IncGamers Member

Should I go with blocking on my meteorb sorc?

Is it necessary, or should I just get high vitality?

2. TraxisX

TraxisX IncGamers Member

I would just go with vitality. My Meteorb sorc left dex at base and she does fine.

3. Warlock099

Okay :) Thx for the tip, but what about Strength, what amount would be good... I was thinking about 156 with charms/items to get Stormshield but I guess that might not be necessary since i won't go with block, or should i still get it for the damage reduction?

4. Milamber

Milamber Banned

If your not going for blocking, I think 156 Str is a waste.

Go for +skills, or other handy mods...

5. TraxisX

TraxisX IncGamers Member

I gave my Sorc 97 Str, which is enough to equip Skullder's Ire, which she uses for MFing. It depends on what equipment you are going to use.

6. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

You should only use a Stormshield if you're going for max blocking. Otherwise, use a (preferably) Lidless Wall, or a Rhyme Shield.

I would only use a Stormshield if I was making a DR sorc, possibly with max energy shield for further damage reduction. You could also try maxing out frozen armor, getting a defiance merc, and maxing block for a more of a defensive sorc, but then again I dont know if you're invested into the cold tree.

Edit: I missed the 'Orb' at the end of Meteor in the topic title. In that case, and depending what you want to do (sacrafice synnergy damage for more defense) you could do the aforementioned suggestion with the frozen armor/ defiance merc. You should have points left if you only put 20 meteor/ 20 fireball/ 20 orb, and even with 20 fire mastery for more fire synnergy you'll have a few points left over.

7. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

I personally wouldn't have a character without blocking. In Hell ranged attackers hurt and with 75% block, you'll be taking ALOT less damage, meaning you can get away with ALOT less in Vitality. Sorcs only getting 2 life per point, spending a lot in Vitality is a waste.

8. Aqua Vita

Aqua Vita IncGamers Member

Hey there~ I'm using a meteorb too and so far, i like the fact that she has max block. Hell range attackers really pack a punch and having max block can help u out of some very tight situations, giving u time to teleport away or pop a full rejuv. Use a whitstan to easily attain max block without wasting too many stat pts in ur dext.

Oh yes, before i forget. u can always compensate any stat pts "wasted" in dext by having a few small charms of vita around. They can add up to 20 life a piece which is equivalent to two levels of stat pts invested in vitality.

9. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

There's no correct answer to this question.

If you're looking for the most efficient meteorb sorc the answer is to go max block. Sorcs 2hp per vita point is hardly worth it and it's much easier to just cube yourself up a bunch of +life charms and go with the blocking/DR.

But, block sorc only works if you have the gear to back it up. Making a untwinked block sorc is just asking for a quick trip to the deeds screen. If you're going untwinked your best bet is to leave dex at base, energy at base, and pump vit like there's no tomorrow.

If you've got a wizz, stormshield, vipermagi, etc, by all means go for the block. :)

10. loverat

loverat IncGamers Member

I made my FO sorc purely for doing Hell Meph runs so I have gone for high energy and energy shield - but yeah getting through hell has been a long and painful process as there are a LOT more ranged attacks now with 1.10. I also agree that a high vit sorc is a bit of a waste as the vit return points are a less than energy and utilising energy shield to take the hits.

I did make a total DR Sorc when I played BN using shaftstop, vamp gaze and stormshield but back then I had some uber items like a 20 strength small charm ( and didn't the dupers want to get their hands on that!)

11. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

I would recommend max block due to the already mentioned fact that sorcs only get 2 hp per vitality point. You can get the equivalent of 10 vitality with just one small charm! You can't make up for dodging 75% of attacks though.

If you do go max block, I'd recommend either Stormshield or, if you want low strength, Visceraunt (sp?).

Regards,
    Kaelin

12. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

Please take my advice and go for max life. A lot of people swear by max block, but as long as your are not playing a close combat character, just put all your points in vitality.

If you have max block and low life, you will block does arrows 75% of the time, but 25% will hit you. When that happens you will loose a large portion of your live. You will be stunned, because stunning is calculated by how much percent live you loose in comparison with your base live. And being stunned in the middle of a line of fire(arrows) sucks.

I hope I am making sence here.

13. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

It makes good sense, but a stealth armor (25% FHR) and a few FHR charms should negate the stun issue. Stealth can be a great armor in any difficulty, esp. for untwinked chars.

Steve

14. Warlock099

thx for all the good replies :)

but im not the rich type, but could a rhyme runeword work well enough if I found a shield with decent base block? then with the +20% block from the runeword?

until i can mf myself a stormshield of course :p or some other good shield

15. loverat

loverat IncGamers Member

Yeah Rhyme is a great shield - I usually wait till I find a nice 2 socketed grim and use that =)

16. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I went for 50% block. Now that I upgraded her Moser's Blessed Circle she has 56%, but I don't have to put anything in dex for a while :)

With Enchant she still has a ~50% chance to hit hell act 1 monsters :lol:

17. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

My meteorb Sorceress is currently level 83, with base (25) Dexterity and 175 in Vitality. She has no survivability problems in Hell, with maxed (75) resistances. I went this route because this character tends to stay away from the actual fighting, allowing her mercenary to serve as a distraction and "tank". If she is hit by anything, it's elemental, and cannot be blocked (except by an Assassin, but that's another story!). Considering this, it makes more sense - in my own opinion - to go with high vitality; essentially, vitality is dual-purpose, elemental and physical, while blocking is strictly physical. Since she rarely comes in the way of a physical attack, the points into Dexterity would be completely wasted, and although there is a low return on the investment in Vitality points, a low return is better than no return.

18. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

<---My met/orb sorc i s made for specifically MF'ing. She doesn't look like that know as I moved on to pindle and thus less resistances are needed (and tus full Tal's was removed), but I am VERY glad than I went with blocking on her with her "Rhyme" troll nest (same blocking as grim, just higher def and I had the str). Against pindle, taking one charge from him or his minions can do an incredible amount of damage, and regardless if you have blocking or not, if that charge lands, you WILL go into hit animation. This is why I went with blocking, to stop attacks such as this, and I really would have been scared to run through the game without blocking.

Round 4 is correct is saying that there is no correct answer to this question.

crg

19. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Crazy Runner Guy: My characters never ever blocked or dodged a charge from a Snake or charging skeleton. Madamazone has 75% blocking, and about 45% Dodge, she always gets hit when charged at. :rant:

20. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

Thats because the charge skill ignores blocking and other defensive bonusess.

P.S. you should have known that trying to block a Snake is futile :lol: