Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should i get max block????

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Boozler, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Boozler

Boozler IncGamers Member

Should i get max block????

Ok so basically here's what i got goin for me:
    I've got a pure fire mf sorc (5pts in static, and 1 in tele) and items I've got right now are hellplague and a staff that gives +1 all sorc skills/+3 to meteor... In theory I'll get better items, but who knows....
    I've also got wizardspike for when i get that high of a lvl.

I'm just wondering if wiz is even worth it for a pure fire sorc and if I should bother going for max block assuming I won't get a really good shield (i'll probably pull off ryhme which isn't so bad i guess)

Should I stick with a really good rare staff or something or is a shield, max block or not, definitely neccesary?

2. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

The answer isnt easy.

Its vit vs block.

More vit youll live long. Max block and you arnt hit 75% on the time. I personally go for the block everytime. :thumbsup:

3. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

I usually tell people to go max block if they are a spamming sorc. VIT if they are a Blizzard or Meteor sorc.

4. Boozler

Boozler IncGamers Member

Should I use wizardspike when I get that level, or should I stick to a weapon with +skills?

5. nataku00

nataku00 IncGamers Member

Having tried the all vit or max block for meteorb sorcs, I have to say it's a toss up depending on your play style.

Max block is great against melee monsters, but the lower vit means you have to careful when there are many spell caster monsters in the area or if a nice pindle group charge gets 'lucky' and hits despite your block.

Lots of vit will get you 1k+ hp, but you'll get hit a lot and depending on how careless you play, can get you killed after taking a few consecutive big hits.

So if you're kinda careless and tele into the middle of enemy packs, I'd go with max block. If you're an aware player, mass vit will probably be better since you're going to be away from the melee range of your enemy.

6. Etemenanki

Etemenanki IncGamers Member

If not max, your block should at least be over 50% IMHO. That goes for any character I make that uses a shield.

7. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Suggesting 50% block is stupid imo. It's either all or nothing, since it requires way less dexterity to go from 50 to 75% than from 3 to 50%. And yet from 50 to 75% is an even better effect.

I always go no-block. With wizzy you already have 75 dexterity though. Max block is nice but not my style. Tried Storm&shako with max block and i had too low mana/damage/life. You shouldn't rely on block/DR to survive imo, if you get amped and/or get a few unlucky strikes (noblock) you're dead.

8. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Between my two active sorcies, one is a CB/FO blocksorc for tele/shuttle (no ES) and the other a Met/FB vita mfer (low ES): the blocksorc is so much tougher it's insane. Granted, I built her with survivability in mind, but I'd never dare tanking Hell Ancients with my vita build. I'll happily do that with the blocksorc though.

In my opinion 75% block, maxed resists, and some healthy FHR are usually well worth a tradeoff in skills and mana. Not in life though, whichever route you go try to get >1k life. Mana is so secondary unless you use ES, I wouldn't give a second thought to that.

9. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

IMO It depends on whether or not you're playing ladder.

On ladder you can upgrade exceptional shields to get max block at lower dex and str reqs. (Reserving extra dex/str points for vit or energy.)

My personal experience is that added vit can be obtained more readily by charms, than energy, so I usually opt for more energy by way of stat ponts and rely on charms for added vit. (But then again this is just my personal exp.)

Upgraded viscer gives max block at 207 dex at lvl 90, and str at 77. Rhymed trolls nest (better def than grim) requires 106 str, and about a bit more dex for max block. (DR from SS is overkill IMO as the str and dex reqs to hit max block make adding to either energy or vit not possible.

Mosers (just as is sits) is also good choice if you're weak on res (2 pdiamonds adds signifricant res).

Whistans guard is also a good choice as well.

Other factor is type of play. I've seen many "big vit and no block" sorcs work well in group play when group is truly cooperative. (i.e. plenty of meat shields to take the hit while the sorc spams damage from a safe distance. )

Unfortunately most of the open games I've been in have not really been co-op games. Merely groups of individuals doing their own thing. End result...no meat shields = unwarranted death because of taking too many hits. Blcok can prevent this.

IMO for solo play, or to be truly independant in group games, max block is preferable.

Storm

10. DocS

DocS IncGamers Member

Same problem here

Someone said: "You RULE in NM, you are a helpless target in hell"

Yep, all said !

My Sorc is Blizzard-Only

res: 69/59/75/34 (using Lidless with PD)

Stats so far:(incl + from items)
    STR:115
    DEX:80
    Life:130
    Ene:90

Open stat-points:105

life 515
    Mana 620
    def 1150

DMG:2100-2200 Blizz

Even 10 lvls or more ago my 3yr old son could have made nm easyly
    BUT: Solo I was/am a little baby in hell

It starts getting better cause by merc is now able to deal with most CIs solo but its still very dangerous.

The reason i havent invested my 105 pts is that. like you, i dunno whether i should get a decent blocking (atm at only 17%) or better invest in life.

It seems with this shield i wont get a decent blocking (50%) anyway without spending all points in dex, so maybe i better raise life !?

Any tips on this specific case greatly appreciated

Many thanks
    -DocS-

11. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

my solution:
    Jah a stormshield, use enigma, get like 40% blocking, 50% max. it does a lot as you never run, so your 40-50% block will equal more things blocked than a melee guy runnin around.

45% dr and huge life with some good res all and a large defense base with what I use. 10% dr shako is normally all someone uses, when you go to 45% or 50%, youll notice how easy it is to stay alive without 200+ pts in dex for 75% block.

just some tips. if you really want blocking, go guardian armour and a Whitsan's with an Eld rune in it. no problems there then. yeah you need more str to wear the pally armour, but you can get a -15% req jewel in it making it kinda simple to wear.

just some ideas, im on non lad so i cant upgrade a viscer. if i could i would, and then Eld that.

also: guardian willl allow you to survive hell easier if you can get res's past 80
    suicide branch with a Ko (+10 dex one i tihnk its ko) would serve you better damage wise vs wizspike and give some more blocking.

12. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

ALso remember that sorcs get a god awful amout on HP per point of Vit. Still, its upto you.

13. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

I don't call 2 life per VIT a "god aweful" amount. Barbs get 4 per point. Sorcs also only get 2 mana per point.

14. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

DocS, I assume you spent the 80 dex for wizzy? Anyway, blocking with lidless would be nuts, you'd need 353 dex @ clvl 90 for 75% block. Either you get a high-blocking shield and invest your remaining points in dex for maxblock or you pump all those 105 points in vita. Your life is kinda low either way. If you like to get close and personal with monsters and tend to tele into fana groups I'd suggest switching your shield and going maxblock, otherwise pump vita and stick with lidless.