Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should Gold Stay Meaningless?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by PTRH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mackemradge

mackemradge Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Should Gold Stay Meaningless?

I just throw my gold at new players in Normal games, gives them a leg up with a new character at low lvls
    :thumbup:

2. Erwwwd

Erwwwd Diabloii.Net Member

With good a good gold find % you can pick up a lot more in gold then you get from items. It also doesn't take up stash space, which is important as everyone is running around with an inventory full of charms.
    A lot of people give a damn.

Think Jewelers Monarchs of Deflection, Fools greater talons of swiftness, 6 BO helms, 6 enchant sticks, 3 lightning skill 20 ias gloves , various blue tiara's/diadems etc.

Most of these items are worth more than the "common" uniques and set items.

Untrue, they sell higher level equipment as well. Most isn't usefull but they do sell some of the items I mentioned above sometimes.

You get to specifically select what you get instead of hoping for something in an MF run. Imagine how long it would take to roll 10 rings from mephisto. Then imagine how long it takes if you have some gold and just stand next to Gheed.

More importantly it is a great boon to crafters as they need specific items for their crafting. Crafted items can have the greatest value in the game, being truly unique and all.

This makes diablo II gold not worthless. Why else could you get a pul for 3 million in the last europe ladder season?

3. Magi

Magi Diabloii.Net Member

Erwwwd, great points and all ones I would have made myself had you not beat me to it. ;)

4. raveharu

raveharu Diabloii.Net Member

Uh huh, maybe a few people would've made it a point to get gold find items and charms to hunt gold, but basically its meaningless to get so much anyway.

Yes but given a scenario where a unique Corona were to drop with a magical Corona at the same time, which would players choose to loot first?

They sell higher level items but most of which are normal-type.
    Then again my point was that would people even be bothered to see what the NPCs sold once they reached nm/hell modes, apart from certain staffs/wands and claws.

The problem is, your chances of getting uniques/sets/rares are alot lower in gambling than killing the Boss itself. And you get experience. Its a win-win situation compared to gambling.

I'm playing USWEST, I don't play Europe.
    So far for the past 6 years I havent seen a game or thread (made here, or for last time, at the official Bnet forums) that wanted gold in exchange for items.
    The currency is usually pgems, which I think is more appropriate compared to gold.

Morever, nice rebuttals, but you have to face up to the reality that gold has indeed lost its value in Diablo2.

5. vendrox

vendrox Diabloii.Net Member

tbh, you can't use what little you've seen from the gameplay video to make a thesis for this, that's just not.. useful. Also, you can't reference to how much gold we used to have on d2 since that's utterly irrelevant..

I myself is rooting for gold to be useful, make it harder to acumulate and the payoff for doing so better, ie. new stuff for the gambling (runes, gems etc as said before me), maybe be able buy a special training session to make your merc get some extra level on a skill or something like that. And balance out the cost for potions/repairs/scrolls and whatnot.

And if it doesn't work out as intended, just patch that ***** away and let people make up their own currency as in d2.. Pgems all the way misters and missus'

6. raveharu

I guess you misinterpret me.

My assumptions are based on Diablo 2 and not 3.
    I listed out the reasons why gold became useless in Diablo 2 but it seems someone rebutted all my statements, which I think is not necessary.
    He seems to think gold is still useful in D2(yes, mainly for repair purpose and buying pots/scrolls, but that's about it), which everyone knows is not.

The reason so why I listed out the reasons, to prevent the same thing from happening in Diablo 3.
    I hope gold will be one of the important aspect in the game.

7. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Diabloii.Net Member

Quoted for truth.

The 35k reason is more important than any reason raveharu presented.

8. raveharu

double post.

9. raveharu

huh? sorry I don't get you.

Anyway this thread is about gold having no value in-game, and what should be done about it, so please don't go off-topic like Erwwwd.

Are you contradicting the title of this thread?

10. Rashiminos

It looked to me like Ewwwd was refuting some of your claims about what made gold lose its value in d2. Gold does have value in d2, it just is not a valuable trading commodity with so many exploitable resources available.

The 35k NPC sell limit makes it better to barter high-priced low-demand stuff (often times junk) rather than get rid of it.

The main reason gold lost its value in D2 is the prevalence of duped items (SoJ anyone)? The problem was so severe that Blizzard created a SoJ sink in 1.10 by having players sell SoJs to fight Uber Diablo.

The reason that you made which was valid (unique/set/rare vs magic) is way down the list.

So what should be done?

Stop dupes. Remove NPC sell limit.

11. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi Diabloii.Net Member

I want gold to be the defined currency:girly:

12. raveharu

Well that was on my first point, onto which Erwwwd rebutted with a rather off-topic answer.

And I think non of his rebuttals are on-topic.

We all want gold to be a currency in D3, and I have stated the reasons why they lost their value in D2.

13. Rashiminos

You made this post, did you not? Is this post off-topic? If it's not, then neither is Ewwwd's response to it.

14. raveharu

Look here dude, this thread is about gold being meaningless.
    I made my point , but obviously you didn't notice what Ewwwd responded with.

OK fine I take it you don't understand what is going and just quote him for no reason.

His response:

Hello? We are talking why gold is meaningless in D2, yes I know you can find more gold-finding equips(duh), but what has this got to do with the topic?

Ok to make it even clearer,

question: why is D2 gold meaningless?
    My reason: people pick up items to sell them off rather than picking gold up. - correct

His rebuttal: with gold find equips you can find more gold. - huh?????

Do you not see he is going off-topic?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  15. Rashiminos

Okay, you say that players don't pick gold up because it's worth more to pick up items and sell them rather than pick the gold up. Ewwwd counters by saying that picking items up can be cumbersome due a full inventory of charms, and that gold find produces a lot of gold that can be collected easily in this situation.

Your argument is contending that gold is meaningless because it's better to pick up items and sell them than to collect gold piles (erroneous to begin with). Ewwwd provided a good counterexample to your statement, and then offered reasons he would use gold find in the first place. Just because he doesn't agree with your assumption that gold was meaningless in D2 does not make his statements irrelevant.

I understand well enough.

16. raveharu

You said it yourself, he assumes that gold is not meaningless in D2 and that is what the topic is not about.

So who is going off-topic?

17. Rashiminos

It's not off-topic. It's a side topic you started, he continued, and now you seem to be wanting to stop for some reason (I have my private conjectures about this).

The thread supposes gold is meaningless, but some of us know it isn't so...

Off-topic would be a thread about a sorc build in the amazon forum. A thread about how a certain type of sorc build can be fought by a bowazon would not be off-topic just because a sorc happened to come up in the situation.

18. raveharu

I shall not argue anymore.This is ridiculous.

But obviously Ewwwd concept on gold is wrong, its quite obvious if you play the game.
    He is arguing based on the mindset that "gold is worth alot in D2".

But, whatever, I just want gold to play a bigger part in Diablo 3.

19. Rashiminos

I play, not so sure about Ewwwd's current status.

He said it was not worthless. There's a subtle difference.

Not the only one...

20. raveharu

you seem to rebut every statement I made against him :scratchchin:
    are you his buddy or something?