Should extremely obese people pay double/triple fare on public transport?

How Will History Remember Bush?

• Best President in American History

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One of the Best Presidents in American History

• Average

• One of the Worst Presidents in Amercan History

• The Worst President in American History

• Total voters

UserMathias

Diabloii.Net Member
Encouraging excercise is an absolutely noble cause. Forcing it, however, is less so.

And bear in mind that if you readjust the size of all the seats, you're creating a hell of a problem for those who can't control their weight due to medical reasons.

Where I live, the buses have a few seats which are extra large - easily enough for a 1.5 person. Which I find awkward, as I rarely see someone who needs it. Likewise, the standing areas are adapted to fit cribs and wheelchairs.

UserMathias said:
And bear in mind that if you readjust the size of all the seats, you're creating a hell of a problem for those who can't control their weight due to medical reasons.

Where I live, the buses have a few seats which are extra large - easily enough for a 1.5 person. Which I find awkward, as I rarely see someone who needs it. Likewise, the standing areas are adapted to fit cribs and wheelchairs.
But as far as I'm concerned, we have a solution already in place for these people. It's called business class. Larger seats, guaranteed. First class gets even bigger ones on international flights.

And zodi, I feel your pain. I have minor asthma myself, though luckily its not triggered by things like that. I really only react to extreme allergies, which have only kicked in twice in my life.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
But as far as I'm concerned, we have a solution already in place for these people. It's called business class. Larger seats, guaranteed. First class gets even bigger ones on international flights.

And zodi, I feel your pain. I have minor asthma myself, though luckily its not triggered by things like that. I really only react to extreme allergies, which have only kicked in twice in my life.
Some perfumes just close my lungs down. Any of the Estee Lauder perfumes make me wheeze. And of course the cheap stuff men buy.

The other day I had to stand behind a man who must have used 1/4 bottle of Polo. Polo smells ok in moderation. He was not moderate and I had to take my inhaler out. He asked me if I was OK and I told him that I cannot tolerate that much perfume/cologne. I will wheeze like an emphasemiac (sp..and that prolly isn't a word anyway). Allergies and asthma are physical problems that need to be noted when discussing discomfort.

Dogs do it to me as well. The boss won't leave the doggie at home, so I just take 2 puffs of my inhaler when around it. God, do I hate dogs.

DrunkCajun said:
So's my coach seat to Buenos Aires. Don't see why I should be paying for myself and their left *** cheek.
I understand, in the case of an airplane, which is a fairly expensive ride. Public transportation, though, is another story. So far we got people who weigh too much and smell wrong. Sure, it sucks. Problem is, you aren't going to change any of that, and while I can empathize with it, having been there myself many times, I rather believe you have to take what you get on public transport. Make a fuss about it, and it'll be you who gets kicked off the bus, not them.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Besides, at least as crappy as grossly fat people is when people bring in their kid and say they will leave it on their lap on an extended flight.

Garbad

MixedVariety said:
I understand, in the case of an airplane, which is a fairly expensive ride. Public transportation, though, is another story. So far we got people who weigh too much and smell wrong. Sure, it sucks. Problem is, you aren't going to change any of that, and while I can empathize with it, having been there myself many times, I rather believe you have to take what you get on public transport. Make a fuss about it, and it'll be you who gets kicked off the bus, not them.
Agreed. I'm complaining about air travel, where seats are assigned, and when I pay for 16C, I want all of 16C. I don't take 16C and part of 16B, either.

Public transportation? Bah. You aren't guaranteed a seat anyway, you're not paying for one. Deal with it.

Diabloii.Net Member
As far as I know, some airlines are already doing this. There's a reality show called Airlines that featured a similar case on one of the episodes. A fat guy was asked to buy two tickets because he couldn't fit into the seat.

I think they should charge extra in case like above, unless their obesity is due to a medical reason.

UserMathias said:
Say you have them pay extra for the ticket. Aren't you, effecively, in the same position as you were before?
No because they can now sit in either a larger seat(they could be put in) or they could go sit down in an open row. If there weren't two open seats adjacent to each other, they shouldn't have to pay.

On a bus this wouldn't work, there are too many factors.
On a plane it could be done, but people would cry and whine if it was done by waistsize so it would have to be done by weight.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
In the case of airplanes: I think you are paying for the right to occupy a certain space, not necessarily paying for the right to be flown where you want to go. Airline passengers are treated like cargo, they get bumped, and crammed in. Might as well go all the way with that idea.

And weighing people before they get on the plane? Fine by me. If you weigh less than the average flyer, you are paying for fuel for yourself, and then for fuel to haul their weight along. I don't want to pay for fuel for someone else who is too fat.

And yes, fuel is expensive. For every cent increase in the price of jet fuel, it costs the airline industry another billion dollars.

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
Making airlines adopt new seating for the gravity challenged, especially now, is economically unfeasable. My take on it is this. If you're fat for any reason you don't have control over, let disability cover the extra seat. We've got the genetics to figure out who has predispositioning and who simply needs to relearn some of their behavior.

If you weigh 350 freaking pounds it's not hard to get some excersise. Simply walking 15-20 minutes a day will be a pretty serious workout. My heart goes out to you if you're that overweight, but I simply don't think it's fair to make the rest of us suffer for something that you have control over.

this was in the news not too long ago. one of the major airlines announced that anyone who didn't fit between the armrests and took up part of the seat next to them would have to buy two seats if it's a full flight. not sure how that would work though. if the flight's already full, they don't have a second seat to sell.

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
MixedVariety said:
I have also met some really big people; for example, a friend of mine is about 6'8" tall and must weigh in at 275 pounds. He isn't fat, just really, really big. He probably takes up more than one average space on a public transport or would at least crowd up pretty close to the person next to him, as much as a fat person would.
6'8'' and 275 isnt that fat, nor is it really that "round" ya know?
Im 6'3'' and 255 and im not fat - im bigger than most people that are 6'3'' but i can fit into one seat. so, i guess i'd have to see a pic of this dude. but yeah how does he take up more than one seat?

---
about the weight on the airplane.
weighing would be unfair. Waist size would be better, as a certain waist size would fit into a seat.
weight on the other hand, is different. You could be 6'6'' and weigh 300lbs - and still take up 1 seat.
but someone who is 5'8'' and 300lbs would take up 2 seats.

Mecal said:
6'8'' and 275 isnt that fat, nor is it really that "round" ya know?
Im 6'3'' and 255 and im not fat - im bigger than most people that are 6'3'' but i can fit into one seat. so, i guess i'd have to see a pic of this dude. but yeah how does he take up more than one seat?
Not to rag on you, Mecal, but I'm fairly certain I said exactly what I said. Read carefully. I said he's big, NOT fat. Also that he probably doesn't take up more than one seat but would likely push right up against someone sitting next to him.
He's just a really big guy, like an Apatosaur, you know? Like, HUGELY built. Like Herman Munster. Maybe he's pushing 300 lbs, I have no idea.

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
MixedVariety said:
Not to rag on you, Mecal, but I'm fairly certain I said exactly what I said. Read carefully. I said he's big, NOT fat. Also that he probably doesn't take up more than one seat but would likely push right up against someone sitting next to him.
He's just a really big guy, like an Apatosaur, you know? Like, HUGELY built. Like Herman Munster. Maybe he's pushing 300 lbs, I have no idea.
now i see what you said but i just wasnt sure how he could go into another seat with that build.

i was just kidna poking at:
"He probably takes up more than one average space on a public transport or would at least crowd up pretty close to the person next to him, as much as a fat person would."

Gotcha. Anyway, you know what I mean. He's not fat, but he's big enough that if he moved around he'd likely stick his elbows and stuff in the other space, sort of like a fat person might do. He wears size 16 shoes, for cryin'; I take his old ones, spray 'em out and rent them out for kayak trips.

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
MixedVariety said:
Gotcha. Anyway, you know what I mean. He's not fat, but he's big enough that if he moved around he'd likely stick his elbows and stuff in the other space, sort of like a fat person might do. He wears size 16 shoes, for cryin'; I take his old ones, spray 'em out and rent them out for kayak trips.
yeah i hear ya.

lol, they say that to me too - cuz i wear size 14 (sometimes 15 depending on the shoe)
and when i was in 9th grade i wore a 13-14. and in PE my coach was like "we can sail on these" :lol:
----
anyways... back to what i was saying. should be based on waist size. IF they did that idea. (either weight or waist)