Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should Blizzard merge some of the realms??

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Fearlessone, May 15, 2005.

1. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Should Blizzard merge some of the realms??

In classic we already have split realms with ladder and non-ladder. And, of course, we ARE classic - a small world already. After LoD came out probably close to 90% of D2 was xpac. Certainly the vast majority of players of both classic and LoD are gone. If there seems to still be alot of games, many are not public, and a big % of the private ones use bots. Bot games have spread in popularity in the past several years and skew the numbers of people really playing.

As most of u know, the answer is NOT to convert to LoD. That is a last resort for us. We sometimes play classic with only a few games showing on the list.

Blizzard has split the realms with ladder/non-ladder. Will there be a time, perhaps with Diablo3, when we will need to merge???

2. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

It might be cool to have east/west classic merged, but the hardcore/softcore ladder/non ladder should remain. Any merge would have big effects of trade value and such, which people might not enjoy.

3. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

i'm sure that will take a lot of effort that blizz does not want to give so I doubt that they will merge the realms.

4. Great_Evils

Yea now that I think about it, it would be pretty muich impossible. merging even part of two realms would require that servers from one realm be allocated to the other in order to support the players. Losing servers from a realm would make a lot of x-pac ladder players mad, because having less servers in a realm would mean Diablo Clone would spawn in a smaller number of servers, eventually messing up trade values with the anni charm.

5. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

im not trying to sound like an idiot but... I didnt think people used bots on classical ladder...

If there was wouldn't there be 99's already? USEAST'S high is 95...

6. Fearlessone

No, I havent seen them either. But if they merge like USWest with Asia and Europe with USEast, then its not only classic that has to be considered, lol. The point is when you sign onto a realm and see how many ppl are playing games at that moment, quite a few of those ppl are really sleeping or at work.

Alot of classic players have 2 (or more) computers going and are helping in the same game with bo and tele'ing about. When u get 2 ppl in a game the mf goes from sucko to decent. There actually are some programs in use, that can be best described as 'tag-along' progs. I used to see these in use in very high lvl cs runs years ago. The main char would walk forward, and the bo barb would do the same a few seconds later, and stay back about one screen, like a frady-cat. It actually looked pretty funny. But this might be risky to ur acct if bliz is or ever does monitor this type of activity, and besides, its unneccessary.

If u have 2 computers ( or can this be done with one computer and 2 cd keys?), u can leave another char in town and bring him down at the moment the boss needs to be killed, or when u need tele or bo. It's risky around monster types that flee and then come back a minute or so later, especailly storm casters, pee-shooters in act3, u have to turn up the volume on the other computer to hear if u are being attacked. I've done this, and have been killed perhaps 4-5x this way, its very irritating to lose many hours of play when this happens. I've talked to a few of the very highest ladder chars this year, and they say that having 2-3 computers is essential for them to get anywhere here in classic. This was not the case 2 years ago, so things are changing slowly but SURELY.

7. Great_Evils

Fearlessone, I don't see the correlation you make between bots and merging the realms. If all bots were removed then yes, less "players" would be on the servers. However, the same amount of legit players would be playing, so I don't see how a merge would benefit the legit players.

8. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I would love to see non-hardcored, non-ladder realms be merged. There arn't that many on the realms to begin with and if you could seperate classic to just two servers ,one for ladder one for non-ladder, I don't think it would be that bad. The only problem I would see is that ping for some people that live in Europe or Asia.

9. Great_Evils

The thing is...characters are stored by account, not by what type of character they are. Many people have a variety of characters (hc, sc, sc-nl) and it would be a huge undertaking to make a system that would control which character went where depending on the type.

10. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Im not saying doing it to all realms just the classic ones. There are aproxipatley 3 games on the hell list in USEast non-ladder at this moment. Just route the classic characters to one server instead of a USEast/West/ect.

11. Great_Evils

A realm is a cluster of servers, you can't route every classic char to a single server. The best option might be to create a "Classic Realm" where only classic chars play. Any option would require money though, and i don't forsee blizz spending money on d2 when they have enough to spend on with WoW.

12. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

people use bots in classic ladder. They are mainly mf bots though. One player who I talked to had several bots doing mf runs.

13. Fearlessone

Classic will be in BIG trouble, storm clouds brewing...

I'm just including the existence of bots in the overall picture. Undoubtedly, there are far fewer playing d2 now than the summer of 2001, when LoD came out. Bots artifically pump up the numbers, as u acknowledge. Locke07 has it right, only 3 games up at the time he last looked? Thats pathetic. There are enough people now on my realms to play, its 10:30 on the west coast here where I am, but if u live in Asia, if u made that choice years ago to make ur base on USWest, then u have a teeny tiny 3 lousy games to choose from. I dont even know how bad it is on hardcore, someone told me once that hell hardcore often has only one game to choose from, and that was 2 years ago, lol.

Someone suggested merging only the classic realms. That LoD doesnt need a merge right now. That may be true, but then what happens if u decide to convert, or do a classic rush to get LoD hellforge runes? I suspect D3 is about 2 years away, it was under heavy development 27 months ago and even sometime before that. Another year of development and a year of testing max, if my sources are accurate....Then classic D2 will be in BIG trouble. LoD will survive, but classic....hmmm...not this many realms.....

14. Great_Evils

I stated that the best option for everyone would be to have a single classic realm, but I also said it would be impossible for a number of reasons. If D3 causes classic to become "extinct" then so be it...that obviously means D3 will be that much better. You can't keep a game alive forever, but hey, original Diablo still has a multiplayer community, even though classic and the xpack have been out for years.

15. Fearlessone

Funeral Arrangements being made..

Yeah, I think i was over there and saw 500 games going on old Diablo1. D2x wont die, but suspect that classic might. Reasons: 1) patch hurt, not helped D2c, no testing for classic, no items to offset the new hardships in nm and hell. 2) until lately, few if any classic forums where honest players could ply their trade, and loss of the classic-only chat channels. We used to have 6-7 of these to ourselves. How long will this sub-forum even last when d3 comes out? Lol, I think its still on probation... 3) over 90% in LoD already.

Btw, we need at least 3 cars for the funeral, if we dont get that many then we need to hire a homeless man with a sign to stand for 3 hours at the intersection of El Camino Real and Highway 92 in San Mateo CA. Mt. Diablo rises 30 miles due east of this location which is passed by Blizzard North employees every day...

16. DougDadyUsWest

DougDadyUsWest IncGamers Member

The 1.10 patch Did hurt classic a lot..

but to me, classic has never been about the game asmuch as about the community...if not for the friends I've made and the battles we've fought, I'd have quit this game long long ago... I still talk to many of my friends regularly on AIM / MSN.... Diablo 2 has been a great experience not just because it's such a good game, but because it requires you to play together... and I can relate to Fearless Operating two computers.. as I am operating 4 characters (I'm playing in hardcore, so the community is almost non-existent)