Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should Blizz change item drop rates?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Spero, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Should Blizz change item drop rates?

I was considering the "cheating" thread and had a thought that was OT from it.

What would happen if Blizz changed item drops so that elite runes/items were a lot easier to find? Would it be good or bad?

What do you think?

2. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

I think it would take the fun out of finding one. Being spoiled and such.

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I suppose that it would be not bad atall, considering that i want a ber for that Hotothing, my hammerdin would truly be glad. I have been playing this game for close to 2 years now and i never found 1. So somewhat better runedrops would be great.

4. viamede

viamede IncGamers Member

Not across the board. It would boring if a gold or green item dropped all the time. However, I would like to see the odds of the higher end items dropping come down a bit so that if you played enough you could eventually find one of most of items or runes. As it is most people will never find a real high end rune and this helps create the market for dupes.

5. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

I'd argue for the opposite. Make elite uniques and sets even harder. Take away the forge quest or at least nerf it a bit and things would be quite different.

Fact is, there are way too many elite runewords, sets and unqiues out there. This in turn causes way too many problems (see previous threads for this).

I'd also like to acknowledge that not everyone is rich (I'm certainly not but I've still managed to fill 2 mules with good elite uniques).

On a side note, I've just played through NM with a char that has 0% MF.
    Results:
    Uniques = 4 (only one exceptional)
    Sets = 6 (only one exceptional)
    Decent rares = 6
    That is more along the lines of what this game should be like. Hell, with my MF char, I can find that in one day.

6. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Well, while we're daydreaming about things Blizz will probly never do :)

What I'd like to see, instead of increased drop rates, is more quest-related item rewards. For example, the Nihlathak quest should have a *great* reward, especially considering the danger... what if you could add not a socket but a specific property of your choice to any item? That would be amazing, fun, and people would actually do the quest on NM and hell difficulties ;)

Or how about quests 2,3,4 and 5 in Act 2? There's no reward except for the skill point from Radament in quest 1, and in normal difficulty, the Cube. Every other quest in Act 2 is simply preparation for getting to Act 3. No wonder everyone wants to rush. What if one of those quests could be item related... perhaps a guaranteed unique or set item of a certain quality, or a drop tailored to your character's class.

So that's what I think would improve things. But as they say, if wishes were horses... we'd all start playing Sacred :surprise:

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Run drops GUL and under IMO are significantly higher but above that the odds are tremendous and really no place but the countess to focus on them at and that is only up to LO and she is a stingy witch!

As far as the other drops, I think they drop too much already. This isnt all bad, but man I have tons of stuff that is highly usable and high lvl on mules and 15 high lvl characters all dressed to kill and i started Xpac 3 manths after all of you.

Look at how many people have left this game. I only see that trend continuing and really I dont beleive it has a lot to do with the game being old I think it has to do more with it being to easy to get the excellent gear and some of it is due to dupes and all, and then I know some of it has to do with the time it takes to go from 95-99 compared to before.

Itesm accross the board drop too much but runes on the high end still drop very little.

8. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

First, the eleite runewords out there all ovr the place have very little to do with the Forge being more rewarding than it use to be it has everything to do with a few punks who got a hold of some high end runes and duped them as much as possible.

Forge gives Guls max in hell, so to make a Ber I believe you need 64 Guls or am I off a bit? Anyway, odds are to craft a BER you have to either in combinations, rush for forges, make characters and get there, rush some there, or trade for them or find a few, but even with that, you ahve well earned that BER.......JAH, ZOD, even more GULs needed and it would take a very long time to accumulate those.

At this point in time, near 6 months since patch there really only should be a small handfull of JAH and ZOD runes and pretty much nobody should of been able to craft or find both without selling thier soul.

Drop rates have nothing to do with runewords and Forges.

God i am damn glad the Forge drops better. I spent 2 years in Xpac befroe Classic and only had one GUL ever drop, like 2-3 LUM, a few Ko and LEM but never and IST or a MAL. I did get a VEX from Pindle once.

Right now you have vrey little due to your move to HC, but in time once you hit Hell, or make Meph NM wish he never lived you will have tons of crap also.

9. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Wait until they reset the ladder season. I bet they do it at the beginning of summer.

Good lord, sounds like we're waiting for the 1.10 patch again! LOL

The thing about this game is, it's highly addictive and too much fun to play. Items have become easier to locate only because drop rates were already adjusted. See all those sorcs in the channels with Tal Armor on? Games only 6 months old and everyone has a set.

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Man, in 1.09 i ran 10-20 times more Meph runs than I have inn 1.10 and in 1.09 I ran tons of Baal runs and very few in 1.10 solo and the drops arent even near comparable.

They upped average mosters potential to drop but left the bosses same or made them better and it screwed it all up. If the bosses whould of been "shut down", no MF for thier kill after quest like it was suppose to be then it would be different.

GOD could you imagine what it sould be like if nobody skipped Baal in thos lvling runs?!?!?! Imagine the tons of stuff that ppl didnt get because he takes too long.

Puts another twist in it doesnt it?

11. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

independent of how hard things are to get, there will be those who argue both sides of this. there are those (like stinger) who play this game so often that they can fairly easily get or trade for any item in the game, so they say things should drop less. there are others, like me, who play casually, when we get to it, and wish we had more items, so our characters could be more powerful.

At any rate, i guess i wish things would be more like they used to- uniques/sets as ALMOST unique, and rares being that much more necessary and useful.... but that's just personal preferences...

12. Baroni

Baroni IncGamers Member

If you are waiting for a Ber rune to drop so that you can make a HotO, may I suggest that you re-check the runewords on arreats... :spy:

13. TopheavyHookjaw

Good points guys. I didn't know that hellforge could only drop up to Gul...I thought it was much higher.

I think that if Blizzard had just made the change that they promised, things would be much, much better. By this I'm referrring to the promise of making SuperBoss Uber drops happen only when you kill them the first time. Then, just treat them as a regular boss. This would not change the level possibility of the drop, just the chances for better quality.

As for the other Pre-set Bosses, keep them the same, just make them a little tougher. I think they tried to do that with Pindle but I still think that he is pretty much a joke. Remeber when Hephasto was such a bad @ss that nobody (well, a very few at least) would even go near him in Hell. Make the same adjustments for Pindle and we'll see a differnce. Just look at how deadly Nihl is...very few care to tangle with him.

14. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I think runes should be easier to find, or there should be more competent runewords made from the obtainable runes. Passion is great, lionheart is great, crescent moon is great and stone/gloom are great. Most of the rest are pretty ridiculous in terms of obtainablity. I don't need runes dropping from the sky, but I have found ONE ist rune from a monster, and all of my other lum+ runes came from forges. Hellforge IMO doesn't need a nerf, but a boost. Don't drop me one random crap rune, drop me more midlevels to increase the odds of getting something good (or more accurately, decrease the odds of getting a weiner hellforge rune with ALL 8 of my guardians)!

I think that cubing high end runes should be a more tractable problem, and the approach to that should be making midlevel ones drop more frequently.

EDIT: Maybe make nihlathak drop like a super-countess? Drop a good NM-forge class rune every single kill? Not unbalanced IMHO.

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Frankly the biggest mistake is what Eldritch and Shenk have turned into. They have got to be the easiest targets in the game and have for a long time. I have a friend that is yanked 4 Shakos out of Shenk and 2 SS of Eldritch and this is with a low MF Java and a solo java smokes those two pack so fast it is sick.

Pindle still drops well, but his minions and himself do hit harder.

bring back MSLE the way it was, that will put some ghosts on the ladder and cull the herd a bit.

Hell, the Countess is a long voyage compared to those three and she squeaks when she walks as tight as she is. Close the RED for Pindle once you kill him wouldnt hurt.

16. TopheavyHookjaw

Now there is a great, and very easy to accomplish, idea.

Also, I love the idea of bringing back MSLE

Maybe even the pre-determined aura (not re-rolled by going through TP)

17. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Heh, leave it to Blizzard to have GFraizer overpromise and then their development team underdeliver. All they do when they make those posts is confuse the entire gaming community. It takes rippers and fansites to understand how their game even works because they don't know themselves!

I was PO'd at Blizzard for something else today, now what was it.

OH, I know. Channel names. Anyone ever been to the Hardcore Channel? How about LOD Barbarian Trading? Or Amazon Trading? How many crickets you hear in there? Seems they could have done a much better job of changing them around. Old news I know, but I still just had to get one more "Blizzard sucks because of 'x'" slam in. Call me crazy.

18. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

What do you think the impact on botting and duping would be if items dropped more easily? Both would go way down. There's no incentive to bot or dupe if you can find the elite items in a reasonable amount of time.

I understand that my idea of reasonable is different from Stinger's. I don't have a solution for that. However, I think we would agree that fewer botters and dupers would improve bnet.

I think that drops should be changed so that everything drops items that are within 20 or fewer ilevels of the monster level. Hell Baal shouldn't drop isenhardt's case. The Hell Hellforge should only drop the top third of runes. The ratio of magical, rare and unique wouldn't have to change. Just a change to the ilevels that monsters drop would make enough of a difference, I think.

19. fgh24

fgh24 IncGamers Member

Before 1.10 I had never found an ist rune. I love the hellforge now but still get crappy runes, can u say lum. I play this game alot, and i still dont have the top end items and the ones i do have my friends have given me. I have never found 1 tals armor in my time of playing d2. I have never had a rune above vex. Its the duping that has destroyed this game, if all those enigmas and botds werent so easy to get ahold of then it would be alot better. I agree they need to have more quest related rewards then maybe there wouldn't be so many people pa'ing there way through the game.

20. probo24

probo24 IncGamers Member

I've wasted a lot of time playing d2, as far as blizz messing with drop rates, i say this. Why punish the ppl who game on a casual basis. You have ppl that "exploit" the forge quest (i.e. rush for forge) you also have ppl that game what seems like 24/7. If you feel the drop rates are too high, and you fit the above mentioned play style, simple solution is, dont rush or play less d2
    i've never rushed for the forge for two reasons, 1. I just dont like rushing ppl
    2. it's not worth it to me to stick my neck out for someone who imo is just plain lazy. The excuse of "dude, i got so many chars, its boring playing through" is all the more reason to cut back the d2 time.
    This may not be a lot of time for some of you but i was at one point playing at least 8-10 hrs a day, and playing that long the best runes i found were an ist, gul, and vex (the ist coming from my hell forge) All in all, id say drop rates are fine. D2 was never meant to be a fulltime job anyway.
    Just my $0.02.