Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should a new player start a single player or a battle.net? <

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by IceFlame, Jun 21, 2005.

1. IceFlame

IceFlame IncGamers Member

Should a new player start a single player or a battle.net?

I am a fresh new player and i don't know where to start from.
    I got some friends to help and give me some items on battle.net.
    I alredy started a single player and I am only lvl 11 and from what my friends told me lvl 11 is just nothing.
    Should i start a battle.net or a single player?
    Thank you.

2. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

well if you want to do it at your own pace and really feel the game and get to know what its all about, i say single player.
    as for the build...try NightFish's skelliemancer guid. It's the best build for a new player with no geat to twink.
    Good luck

3. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

Hey IceFlame, welcome to the forums! As the SPF stands for, single player all the way! You can always use your char to play multiplayer with your friends (without having to deal with bnet's worst).

Also, since you just started, you will want to talk to characters, complete the quests and watch the movies. That is your pace. Play alone for one char at least, so you can enjoy it full.

Also, follow a guide if you want to end hell. Fishy's guide is a great one.

4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

seriously if you new to the game sp is the way to go. That way you will uncover all the stories in the game. And find out for example what the full name of radament is or how larzuk planned to beat the demons in [font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font][/size][/font] harrogath

5. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Site Pal

I also believe that it would be best for you to start with SP and at least go through normal with one char. But hey, what answer do you think you will get to this question if you ask it in the - SP - forum? ;)

(no offence, not at all :cool: )

6. SirMurdalot

SirMurdalot IncGamers Member

Single player first

Hi!
    I started less than a year ago and i played single player - normal through first and then went to battle.net. Reason for this is that you get no idea about the game itself, if you get items by asking or trading. And of course, in battle net the tempo is quite high so you might miss the story itself!
    If you have patience, go through nightmare too and then you're ready to go battle.net and actually know things.

In my point of view, battle.net is quite different game than single player and the atmosphere is way better in single / tcp-ip game so i chose to quit battle net for good and started playing single player -mode.

7. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

I recommend playing the game through a couple times in SP, then *trying* battle.net for a while (it can be fun, after all)... then, see what you prefer.

8. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

Hmm, ok, so what's the answer to these two?

9. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

If I had started the game in single player instead of going to battle.net, I think the life expectancy of the game for me would have been another three to four years. Stick to SP and leave the cheating morons to their little ladders and realms.

10. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Go through norm with some chars in SP to understand the story, then I advice to try some battle.net coz there you will learn thing's faster than in SP, and remeber whenever you want to come back to SP we will greet you with open arms. ;)

Good luck, Diablo is absolutly the best game there is ;) ......and very adictive :rolleyes:

11. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Hmm I forget the first one, gonna have to pay more attention on that quest. The answer to number 2 is with cannons or something like that.

edit: Whoops forgot to post on the original question. Since it seems that your friends want to play with you on bnet, it would make sense for you to play there as well. At least give it a try so you can have fun with your friends. That being said I think SP is far superior to bnet, but it is just much simpler playing with a bunch of friends on bnet.

12. lone_wolf

1 Radament the fallen

2 Larzuk was planning to fill large iron pipes with exploding powder and steel balls;) aka cannons. He was also planning to build a balloon to spy on the demons.

edit: xdoomasx you mean battlenet players know there is a act 3 nowdays:eek:

13. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

;) Not all of them but some knows :p

14. lone_wolf

its a amasing improvment ;)

i remember that player i once played with that didnt knew who kaa was or when the ruined temple was:eek:

ohh well some years have passed since i last was on battlenet *cough*

it was sometime before LOD when we all hated LF zons

15. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Play SP. It's a well documented fact that battle.net saps at your intelligence, especially when it comes to your proficiency with the english language. Blizzard is secretly trying to take over the world by using battle.net to transmit sound outside of human hearing frequencies. These waves screw with your brain and make you spout nonsensical rubbish like:
    "LOL UR N00B OMGROFLMAOWTFBBQ1!!eleventyone!1!!ichi "
    With drivel like that issuing forth from our mouths, the population will be divided and unable to communicate effectively. Blizzard would then have no trouble conquering our pitiful babbling selves.

So in short: Save the world. Play SP.

16. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. lone_wolf

:clap: :lol: that was a great way to sum it up

18. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

LOL, that should be on the SPF FAQ :D

19. Shakes

Shakes IncGamers Member

Unless you're located in the country where the battle.net servers are, or at the very least nearby, lag will be horrendous and suck all the fun out of the game if you play on battle.net. Since your profile says you're from Israel, I'd say steer well clear of battle.net.

Add to that the mentality of the average online player of any of blizzard's games, and there's really no question on which is the right decision. The only advantage of battle.net is getting to play with lots of other people. When the majority of those people are ones you wouldn't like to touch with a 40 foot polearm, it kind of loses its appeal.

If you're only going to play with friends anyway, I see no reason not to just all create single player characters and only suffer the lag (which will probably be less than battle.net if you're located close to each other) when you actually multiplay.

20. Llathias

Llathias Banned

:lol: sticky that post! :clap: (yeah, it deserved one more quot)

about the original question, i too suggest SP to start with. in fact, start with a crippled character (in terms of skill distribution) and play till Act 4-5 Normal, trying many different skills and strategies etc. by then, you'll have learned the basics of the game and decided what you like most, so you can make a powerful build to finish the game.

even after that, you can stick to SP for the following reasons;
    1. no 1337 5P34K U n00b h4xx0r bla bla...
    2. no lag
    3. static maps
    4. ATMA
    5. noone killing your character, noone hacking your account to get your items
    6. legit environment if you want
    7. even some MODs if you want
    8. you can press Esc to pause the game when your telephone rings :p
    9. feeling of achievement when you find a decent item
    10. the SPF, listed last because i don't think you'll be ostracsized if you play b.net, but still...

and many more...