Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shopping specific items

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dazliare, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Dazliare

Dazliare Diabloii.Net Member

Hi Friends!

I was wondering if anyone can explain the process you would use to find the best target for shopping a specific item

I understand that shopped items have an ilvl of clvl+5, so if one vendor can sell the item, any vendor who can sell that base can sell the item you want, but I don't understand how different vendors pick different base items

My example - I want an artisan's tower shield of deflecting. I've been at normal Larzuk for maybe 12 hours total with no luck. But I realized he doesn't actually spawn tower shields very often, so it has me wondering if another vendor might have a better chance. Even another difficulty

So yeah, could someone point me in the right direction? I can't find good info on how the vendors pick their base item selections

2. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Shopping calculator. There was another resource I had/used once but I forget what that was off the top of my head. If it comes to mind I will edit this post. Check the stickies?

Edit: The other link I was thinking of was on this thread. It is an affix calculator. I know I've made/posted in a few threads about shopping.

Not sure if there is a good answer to your question. I've heard mention that some vendors "prefer" certain items, which is why you don't see many boots from Halbu in A4 (for example). So maybe the knowledge is out there, somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. Dazliare

I have that page bookmarked, but it doesn't really talk about how the items in the shopping screen are selected. Any vendor that offers a tower shield will have an equal chance for the mods I want, but I don't know if one vendor has a better chance of selling a tower shield than another

4. art_vandelay

art_vandelay Diabloii.Net Member

I looked into that very thing a while back. The gist of it is that there is a list of items that each vendor can spawn and even limits on how many per type can spawn per vendor screen. However some items are generated before others and if the item you want is last in line for generation it may be that the vendor screen is full before the game can even think of spawning it. There's really no way to predict that though because the chance of the vendor screen being full depends on it's geometry and how the game fills it with items and I don't think anybody has ever looked into that (except maybe fruit :D)

I noted the frequency of gloves and tower shields for Charsi and Anya in the above thread if that helps you at all. Usually it is best to shop where you can reset the vendor screen the fastest, i.e. act 1 with the cow portal or Anya. Charsi should be best for ATSoD's though.

Also be careful about shopping in normal, here the ilvl of the shopped item has a cap which you can find in the shopping calc by clicking the 'How does this work?' link. As a consequence no vendor in A1-A4 can sell you an ATSoD at all, Larzuk barely makes the cut by giving a character of level 39 or higher shields of alvl at least 44 which is what you need for the Artisan's mod to spawn.

5. Dazliare

Thank you for this! I'm clvl 66, so Larzuk should be fine to sell it. I may try NM charsi though just to shake things up a bit and see if her chance for tower shields is a bit higher