Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

shopping guide

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Dark Lotus, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Dark Lotus

Dark Lotus IncGamers Member

shopping guide

I've looked for some sort of comprehensive shopping guide... but come up with nothing. Basically I'm looking for some guide that explains who to shop, how to shop most efficiently, and at what level it becomes most efficient, as well as what items are worth keeping, and what mods can possibly spawn. I'm also curious how shopping interracts with crafting? I've heard that clvl 69 and 79 are ideal for finding certain class of gloves used in crafting recipe (vambrances, perhaps? I forget).
    At any rate, if anyone knows of a detailed or helpful guide to shopping, I'd appreciate it.

2. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

Re: shopping guide

For shopping, just look at the ad down in the left corner on this site.

3. Dark Lotus

Um... in case it wasn't clear, I was referring to in-game shopping. That is, making a high clvl character and refreshing a vendor, such as anya or drognan, repeatedly looking for magic items of value. I wasn't talking about... actual shopping. >.>

4. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

I know you meant Anya etc. But you can get Premium Diablo2 Items there, with regards from diii.net

5. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

There there Krem. This guy dosen't know you and may be unable to tell your sarcasm. KremBanan is just mad at Diii.net for allowing ads for shops, while maintaing a strong moral stance against those selfsame shops.

As far as a shopping guide goes: I have never read such a comprehensive guide on this site (or any site for that matter). There may be one, but I think you'll have to dig up the information yourself from various postings/threads/Wiki and put it together.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

There is a shopping calculator, which explains basic mechanics of shopping, it however doesn't give suggestions what to shop where. (But it will show you what is possible to shop where)

7. mmmpld

mmmpld IncGamers Member

The Item Generation Tutorial is the best place I can think to point you.

If you have a particular end result in mind we could help you work out how best to shop for it. I've done a fair bit of LLD shopping/crafting so I should be able to point you in the right direction.

As well as the Shopping Calc above, the German Affix Calc is very useful here.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Why don't you send a link to your posting to Elly ? She surely appreciates your humour and your way of going into the public with that issue.

AFAIK the ads come from a company which offers money for mouse clicks on them and it's that company which decides about which ones appear here. Elly can surely disable those ads which aren't to her liking, but I guess that the ads appear here at first and then she can switch off the unwanted ones.

9. Dark Lotus

I'm looking for a jeweler's armor of the whale. From looking at these sites, it looks like the jeweler's prefix requires clvl 55, and of the whale requires clvl 50. So to maximize my chances of getting jeweler's armor of the whale, I should shop with a clvl 55 character? Hm... but I suppose this doesn't take the base item type into account. I'd like an elite base armor at least

[edit] so suppose I'm looking for jeweler's armor of the whale in a dusk shroud, which has qlvl 65, do I then maximize my chances by shopping with a clvl 60 character?

10. LordC

LordC IncGamers Member

Due to the way shopped items are generated, you cannot get low level elites (i.e. Dusk Shrouds) from any shop. You can shop for Gothic Plates, Ancient Armors, Embossed Plates, and Archon Plates with Jeweler's prefix.

The only other shoppable items of value that come to mind are Cunning claws with +3 LS. Other shoppable endgame gear is either so easy to find that people shop it themselves (Echoing weapons, 2os wands with +3 Spear) or so rare that no one should even bother looking (Golemlord wands with +3 RS and +3 SM, Rosebranded scepters with +HS).

11. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

Oh. So that's why dusk shrouds are so expensive. I thought they had a premium because they had low strength req with high defense and no run speed penalty. It's a good armor, that's pretty rare to find. It makes me appreciate the 95 lifer I have that cost an arm and a leg to trade for. And I guess that's why I haven't seen any others for trade.

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

No, level 55 is the affix level. For most items (those that aren´t really high in qlvl or ilvl) the alvl=ilvl - qlvl/2. And ilvl = clvl +5 for shopped items.

The earliest you can shop Jeweler´s armor (and then only Gothic Plates) is clvl 66.

13. Dark Lotus

anyone know if it's possible / at what level jeweler's archon plates of the whale are available?

14. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

1st Step: Check Shopping calculator if some NPC cn sell Archon Plate.
    -Done Larzuk, Hlabu and Anya in Hell difficulty can sell them.

2nd step: Use affix calculator to determine an ilvl from which the highest desired affix spawns. Insert an ilvl number so that the calculated alvl number is the same as higher alvl of the deisred affixes. In this case, Jewelers is alvl 55, of whale is alvl 50, so you have to find the lowest ilvl (with a try-mistake method). For archon plates the lowest ilvl for these is 1. Any Archon Plate can have Jewelers of Whale affixes.

3rd Step: Detemining the character level. Ilvl of shopped items is character level +5.
    Done - you can already shop with lvl 1 character. (Well actually you do have a zero chance for elite item upgrade with lvl1 character...)

4th step: Now you will have to compare if it is more effective to have higher chance of item upgrade in the shop or higher chance of affix xombination due to lower number of affixes for effective gamble.

Use the affix calculator again and order the all affixes (insert ilvl=99) by affix level.
    Now you see that there are only 3 more affixes higher than jewelers affix. Of precision is alvl 60, but all archon plates have minimum affixlevel 69, so you can't get rid of it. So only 2 affixes more. You will find the highest ilvl where those can't spawn (it's ilvl84).
    So with chlvl 79 (or lower), you will have the best odds for JAPoW affixes.
    You can click on "magic items" and let calculate the chance for ilvl84 Archon Plate:
    It's 1:22560. BTW For ilvl 99 Archon PLate, the chance is 1:23680.

Now you will use the shopping calculator and enter the 79 and 99 in the upgrade calculator.
    With character level 79 (ilvl84), the odds for elite upgrade in hell are 2.344%
    With character level 99 (ilvl99), the odds for elite upgrade in hell are 2.584%

Now you will compare multiplicated odds.
    clvl 79: 1:22560 * 0.02344 = 1:962457
    clvl 99: 1:23680 * 0.02584 = 1:916408

Better odds gives clvl 99 (as I expected). Thugh you probably don't have character that high, so you will probably have to input your own numbers...

EDIT: and I thought you asked about shopping JAPoW.
    The answer to your original question would be: Yes, they are possible and each magic Archon Plate can have Jewelers of Whale affixes.... LOL would aved me half an hour of my life :)

15. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

Give a man an JAPoW and he'll be armored for a season, teach a man to shop and he'll yell obscenities at Anya for the rest of his life. :azn:

16. Dudleydino

Dudleydino IncGamers Member

Sorry for grave digging, but how did you find the highest ilevel where they can't spawn?

17. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Simply, I just insert (by method try-error) ilvl few times into the affix calculator to get it.

On a list of affixes for any ilvl archon plate, those affixes I spoke about are: of Regeneration (alvl70) and of Titan (alvl74). So I need an archon plate with highest ilvl which results in affixlevel lower than 70.
    I just tried inserting few ilvls for archon plates in affix calculator and came up with: ilvl 84 archon plate has alvl=69, lvl85 archon plate has alvl=71.