Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shockadin weapon switch Q

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by wildjinn, Feb 13, 2004.

1. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Shockadin weapon switch Q

Here's my question for experienced shockadin zealots. What do you use for your weapon switch to deal with LI/PI's? I've got a point in each vengeance/conviction (+skills). Is that the best I can do? Would it be better to go conviction +zeal w/ a baranar's star, demon limb, or nord's? Or is the best option to switch in a stone crusher for big damage off which vengeance/conviction can shine? Or is there another good option for this? My current setup is a Crescent Moon phase blade + HoZ w/a 118% res all pally shield and Hand of Blessed Light on switch. Azurewrath would rock my world, but I don't have one and my pallly's only 73.

Aah. and at what level does Conviction begin to break immunities?

2. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Well, "immune" just means the monster has 100%+ resistance. It could be 100%, or it could be a lot more. Check the MPQs or some site like www.d2exp.com for exact numbers.

Now, Conviction operates at 1/5 power against immune monsters. So level 1 Conviction would only reduce resistance by 6% rather than 30%. A monster with, say, 100% fire resistance would see it fall to 94%, one with 110% would fall to 104% and thus still be immune.

For normal monsters, fire immunes go as high as 145% fire resist, lightning immunes go as high as 130% lightning resist, cold immunes go as high as 210% cold resist (!!), and poison immunes go as high as 140% poison resist. Of course, bosses could have their boss mods stacking with this to give truly obscene resists.

(there are some special exceptions, e.g. gargoyle traps are 1000% cold resistant, doors & catapults & things are 1000% poison resistant).

So, ultimately, even maxed Conviction is not going to break every immunity, and even those it does the monster will still be heavily resistant. So I would stick to Vengeance + Conviction and not worry about it too much - the other elements will get him even if one doesn't. :)

3. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Excellent. So, it seems you'd suggest leaving it at slvl1 w/skills?...that makes sense. I should probably have though more about the nature of immunities before posting that. :) And which weapon would you suggest using on switch? One with greater physical damage, or more elemental damage?

4. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Oh, don't be trusting my advice, I've never played a shockadin, I do have a zealot in the SPF HCL, and was planning to go the "1 point + item bonuses" route for dealing with physical immunes, but he's still in Act 4 Normal so this tactic has not been tested. :)

As for which weapon: I guess you'll just have to do the numbers. Vengeance will be delivering at least 70% of base weapon damage in each of fire and cold, so if you're only planning this for fighting PI/LI foes, just look at 1.4x base weapon damage and add the weapon's elemental damage. Some examples:

Baranar's: avg. damage is 144, so Vengeance will add ~100 fire and cold, plus it does 1-200 fire and 1-200 cold itself.

Demon Limb: avg. damage is ~137, so Vengeance will add ~95 fire and cold, plus it does 222-333 fire itself (plus the slvl 23 Enchant charges can give another 87-111 fire damage).

Nord's: avg. damage is ~155, so Vengeance will add ~108 fire and cold, plus it does 205-455 cold itself.

Azurewrath: avg. damage is ~115, so Vengeance will add ~80 fire and cold, plus it does 250-500 cold and 250-500 magic itself. And it is fast. :)

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

i'd suggest nord's since it also has that very handy mod "Freezes Target". that way you don't have to worry about the monster hitting you back while you're smacking him around.

with + to skills gear on switch (especially a HoZ) you will have a nice looking vengeance and decent conviction going. you certainly wont kill fast, but you'll get the job done safely.

6. Select

Select IncGamers Member

I'v found that gimmershreds take out Immune monsters pretty quickly. maybe try those if you dont have access to much else.

7. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i have a pair of gimmershreds on the switch or in my stash on mostof my melee chars.. those deal an insane amount of elemental dam, and are alot safer because you can throw them from a distance :teeth:

try them out, they are certainly worth it :thumbsup: