Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shock/Maul Bear

Discussion in 'Druid' started by SantoRojo, Mar 20, 2005.

1. SantoRojo

SantoRojo IncGamers Member

Shock/Maul Bear

I'm not sure if this would work, depending on how stun works on PvP and how FHR affects stun length...but here's my thoughts:

20 Lyc
    20 Were
    20 Maul
    20 ShockWave

Cerebus|Fortitude|Cham'd SS|Dungos|Gores|Angelics|Dracules|240/90 PB

Shockwave, at level 34 packs a 21 second stun length...I'm guessing PvP nerfs that quite a bit along with FHR, but in conjunction with maul I think it'd work pretty well, even with a shorter stun length.

*also, is Shockwave blockable?

2. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Yes, Shockwave is blockable.

Also, Shockwave won't actually Stun them, per se, it'll just put them into a mode where every hit makes them go into a hit recovery animation. Useful, but not as useful an an all-out stun. Therefore one point in Shockwave is enough. The only added benefit you will receive is more damage, and it's so piddly it makes no difference.

You're going to want to invest the extra points in Oak Sage or maybe Heart of Wolverine, up to you.

3. lucrativelyrics

lucrativelyrics IncGamers Member

im with proudfoot on this one. 1 point in shock is good enough.

as for your build ive only partially tested witht his but dmg and atr is poor. even with angelics.

if you can hit 15k- 18 k atr at 85 with angelics, go oak . if not how is gonna have to be used.

also since yours is a speed/ wear down dmg kind of build.

my suggestion is to use duress or even duress in eth armor ( cheap enough if it breaks you can make a new one ) there was a post on the barb forum once that said over all dmg of a botd/duress was better then a botd/fort. ( that end dmg not raw )

now your raw physical dmg will suffer but with dracs,cerebus,gores, and duress it will give you a massive 101 % openwounds ( i believe 95% is cap, not sure) and believe you me , this will eat people alive .

rest of set up looks fine, i dont like not shaeld the ss for any of my druid builds ( cept windy). but if you feel cbf is a must go for it ( but not to be rude i dont think there are many melee builds that can match up against a caster build.)

4. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I, too, agree that the equipment could be a slightly better option. use a ravenfrost. as a bear, you need that cannot be frozen. If you are going to use a phase blade, then 95 ed/110 ias is the best way to go, or at least as close as you can get. Often, a 105 ias grizwolds caddy is a viable option. I have used it successfully in many duels. I play a maul bear in duels. Learning to shockwave effectively is the key to winning. In other words, get that initial "swirly" with it. after that, connect with maul and stay on top of him, switching to fireclaws when you can for the added fire damage and attack rating. It also has the added ability of mixed damage stun lock....a rather nasty added ability.

I don't understand how your attack rating is so low, lyrics. You give me that kind of + ar and I guarantee you I am gonna get close to 25k ar with maul and dual gelics. As is, I get 15-18k with highlords and dual ravens. I don't need any more than that with my bear, as he is for dvd only. However, I have tested setups that allow me close to 30k ar or more with him, including one that allowed me to hit 40k ar with HoW active. You should probably use the shael, 3xed/ias caddy unless you have a *crapload* of good ar/damage/life charms for him. 100% open wounds is not necessary, the 48% you get from cerebus/gores is more than enough. I suggest stone armor for the fhr/defense/resists/stats/fireclaws synergy (veeeeery useful) or going with the fort like you already have. You will actually get more life out of that then the stone and the defense is comparable. Good luck!

--welt

5. SantoRojo

SantoRojo IncGamers Member

I sincerely doubt AR will be any problem at all with a good cerebus and angelics.
    If I end up using fortitude, should I not put any into fire claw?

thanks for the input.

6. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I would most definitely get a few into fireclaw. Mixed damage is the key to stun locking with a bear. Maul is needed to cause the "swirlies", but another damage type/attack is needed to lock. Since maul charge carries its damage and stun, then fireclaws provides greater attack rating and even more fire damage. Perfect combo for a bear.

--welt