Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor, Energy Shield...Oh My! What to do? d

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by exhorder, Mar 8, 2004.

1. exhorder

exhorder IncGamers Member

Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor, Energy Shield...Oh My! What to do?

Currently building a Blizzard sorc for Hell Boss runs. Problem im having is choosing a spell shield. Based on personal experiences running meph, baal, ect. what is the best one or combination of em? Thx!

Myst

2. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Go for shiver armor if you have high defense already and using a defiance merc, or ES if you have lots of mana.

3. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

Since you don't want to waste points neeeded to max your blizzard, I find 1 point in frozen armour bring me from 1100 D, to 2200 D and freezes anything that gets a hit on me. There is an element bug with ES so it'll take ALL YOUR MANA before calculating your resists when you get hit.

4. exhorder

exhorder IncGamers Member

beyond convential 1.10 wisdom i'm going to be moderate in defense/hp/mana.... I'm raising both hp and mana about the same. I'm not going the shield block route either. It seems to make sense to use Energy shield with this build. With the + skills gear would it be viable to run both energy AND shiver? I'll have the skills to do it but this leaves the question: Is it better for me to pick one and pump it up? As for merc...I havent figured out what would be better yet. I'm leaning towards holy freeze to be honest.

EDIT: Hmm u posted about that ES bug as I was in the middle of this reply.... seems I better change my thinking a bit

5. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

Yeah wiht that bug, you get hit by a bolt of lightning and it does FULL dmg, even if you're max light resist. So you'll lose all your man, leaving you dead in your spot, unable to tele out. The Frozen armour will freeze anything that hits you, and having some Faster hit recovery helps as well. I put on bladebuckle for my tele to meph.

I have a holy freeze merc, he even slows down Cold immune monsters. This means he's got more time to leech life and get hit less, and it slows down anything that gets past my blizzard. I made a guild on how to Tele to meph wiht lidless and Wizspike etc... Search the front page of this forum and it's in one of the "blizzard help" threads.

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

It's not a bug. Your body has full resist, not the shield that floats around it.

7. [FLS]prozerran

well resist was taken into effect before ES in all previous patches, so I think it's safe to assume it's a bug in this patch that ES doesn't take resist into account.

8. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Erm, Meteor didn't get bonus damage from Fireball and Firebolt in previous patches, and now all of a sudden it does get a damage bonus. Is it safe to assume this is a bug too?

Come on, it's a balance issue, not a bug. They balanced ES differently so you'd have to synergise it for best effect. Else, with full synergy from Telekinesis AND max possible resist the Sorc would be quite invulnerable, at least to any kind of elemental attack.

9. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I think it coudl be a balance issue too, but then they need to change their own wording of the skill "

""A shield of energy protects you". Similar to the Mana Shield from Diablo but slightly modified. A percentage of magic and physical damage the Sorceress takes will be absorbed by her mana reserves rather than health {hit points}."

10. [FLS]prozerran

uh is that even a valid argument?

The synergy system is a documented change of the patch. In fact, it is the most fundamental change of every single character, where as the ES problem is not.

I have no clue how you get that idea at all.

11. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Ok, let's state this for the 10.000th time: The change to Energy Shield is not a bug but a modification to the order of damage resolution.
    Let's repeat that: The change to Energy Shield is not a bug but a modification to the order of damage resolution.
    Now there have been about 5 thread on Energy Shield the last 2-3 weeks, all adressing and discussing this change. Energy Shield is not bugged, Energy Shield was not nerfed, Energy Shield was changed. Since it's now the 2nd item of the damage resolution stack, I'll take more mana and thus it's not viable with a base energy sorceress anymore (good change!...a sorc should be magically inclined and have *gasp* magical energy reserves to be effective). But it also means that high enough energy coupled with PDR/MDR by X items can safeguard herself from losing life from most any attack in the game (Hell Mephisto cannot take any life from my Energy Shield sorc...none, zero, nada....ever)...which also means a sorc build like that can ignore negative resistances, Conviction, Amplify Damage, Lower Resist and Decrepify...the drain on mana is the same under those conditions and still no life loss.
    If you lose all your mana to an elemental hit, you simply have insufficient mana and TK to handle 1.10 Energy Shield. It's no 1-point wonder anymore, so either invest in it or don't use it.

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Yup ES has no bug, but the damage system has changed. Possibly also since ES would otherwise be VERY powerful. Just imagine ES with TK and no Elemental damage order change?! :D

And even if you should consider it a bug since it remained undocumented, do you really think that will change the way we have to deal with it, or infact that it will get fixed ;) ?

To the original poster:
    You should max ALL YOUR synergies and just drop 1 point into the armor of your choice. You will want Blizzard to the most damage it can, so that you will kill faster and have no need of protection, which can be gained otherwise differently with resists, blocking, high vita etc.

Maxing synergies and mastery for a single tree Blizzard Sorc is imperative!!!!

13. Zarhrezz

Also note that by saying "it was not documented, so it's a bug" you're saying that Guided Arrow/Pierce is bugged now, since it's not mentioned in the 1.10 patch.txt that Pierce no longer works with Guided Arrow ;) Same goes for the changes to Bone Armor and Cyclone Armor by the way (they also moved up in the damage resolution stack, now taking place 2 and 4). And there's more such undocumented changes (and there have been in all patches)...perhaps maybe that has something to do with the fact that certain game mechanisms are nowhere explained on any official Blizzard site? Bit pointless to tell players about changes to things they wouldn't know about if it wasn't for some dedicated modders and code-diggers.

14. [FLS]prozerran

uh yes it did

read patch.txt again. About charges working as synergies (as long as no skill point is allocated in that skill), there are still debates whether it's a feature or a bug.

15. melianor

The debate about bug or feature is not that relevant since there is no response from BLizz on those issues so regard them as features and use them. It works with all items that have charges, so it rather looks intended to me ;), which is something i dont want to debate about since i dont think it will be changed, so we will have to live with it. no?!

16. Zarhrezz

Uhm...yes it did what?

I just went through the 1.10 patch txt and I have no idea as what you could be refering to. There's no mention of changes to ES/Bone Armor/Cyclone Armor/Pierce/Guided Arrow or changes to damage resolution orders. If I missed them, please post the line numbers so I won't miss them a second time!

On the charged item issue: My personal opinion is that it's a bug...the idea of synergies is having to spend hard skill points to increase another skills' effectiveness (as stated in the patch txt), so something that does give the same effect without using actual skill points is something that I'd consider bugged.

17. [FLS]prozerran

Exactly. I just don't agree with people saying that it is intended only because it makes sense. Is it a bug or feature? May be, may be not. We are not sure. We all have our opinions, but it's a bit ignorant to claim that our opinions are facts.

18. melianor

I am not trying to be ignorant, sorry for that. Maybe its not a fact, but it IS A FACT that we cant change it and have to deal with it. So i would like to end this discussion of feautre or not since it wont make a difference in how we play or apply our solution, right? Sorry if you sounded offended, that was not my intention.

19. melianor

For truth sake i have posted this on the b.net forums for blizz rep to respond so we might get a final answer and can be safe wheter its bug or feauter and get on with applying the solution :D :thumbsup:

20. [FLS]prozerran

Um sorry the guided arrow was actually in battle.net page not in patch.txt
    I know nothing about the cyclone armor issue so I won't comment. Damage resolution orders were never disclosed officially ever since D2 was out right? We cannot conclude whether a change is a bug or feature simply by thinking whether it make sense or not.