Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shields?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by SomeguyOneSixFour, Sep 15, 2007.

1. SomeguyOneSixFour

SomeguyOneSixFour Diabloii.Net Member

Shields?

Just started a Sorc plan to use a shield of course. Looking for alternatives to Stormshield, and taking a look at Viscerataunt. It looks rather good, but I read that Moser's is better, not sure why. Is Viscer a good choice come end game? Or is there anything I really ought to consider after? Would rather not have to attain the high Str Req to use Stormshield.

2. Chasten

Chasten Diabloii.Net Member

Your going to need the high str. Hands down, spirit shield.

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot Diabloii.Net Member

I disagree somewhat - if you want to actually block anything, then Spirit sucks.

Or to say it another way, the best shield will depend upon your build, playstyle, what your character needs, and personal preferences. There is no absolutely definitive answer, but here are some very popular/common choices (and why). It's up to you to establish what your character needs the most, and choose your shield around that.

(in no particular order)

1. Moser's Blessed Circle is nice because you can easily get a huge boost to your resistances (socketing two Pdiamonds will give you 63% Resist All), in addition to that, it has a very decent block percentage, and the requirements are quite low. Upgrading this to 'elite' increases the blocking by 8%, which means less points you have to spend in dexterity.

2. Visceratuant has a slightly higher block rate than Moser's (actually, if you upgrade it to elite, it gets another 12%-blocking boost, which is usually worth the effort/cost). It also has +1 skills, which is a very nice bonus to any sorceress. The down side is that it does not have inherent resists, although you can use a Larzuk quest reward and add one open socket. If your sorceress has less than 20 resists in Hell, then Moser's is probably a better choice of the two - but if your resistances are good without the shield, then I'd pick Visceratuant over Moser's 99% of the time.

3. Stormshield. PDR, good block, and decent resists. Almost a 'must' for many melee sorcs, but the strength costs are prohibitive to a lot of normal 'casting' sorc builds. Consider socketing a jewel with resists and the -15% lower requirements mod to knock 20+ points off of the required strength.

4. 'Spirit' runeword. Huge +2 skills, Huge FCR, even huger FHR, +mana&life, decent resists, and a couple other mods that aren't bad (but aren't that important either). So what's not to love? The fact that your sorc will need to have at least 156 strength (after equipment/charms), and the fact that this shield couldn't block a turd in a crapstorm.
    (and yes, I know 'huger' isn't a word - deal with it. :p)

5. 'Sanctuary' runeword. Basically, this is very similar to Moser's Blessed Circle, but slightly more defensively-oriented (with more variation on the resistances), and moderately more expensive. In addition to Stormshield, this would probably be my only other choice for a melee sorc, but that's just my opinion.

... those are probably the 5 most popular choices; I'm guessing that Spirit probably has the biggest following, simply because a lot of sorcs really love +skills and FCR, and Spirit is the best provider of both. In addition, if you like max-block then there are several good choices, but for a no-block sorc Spirit is almost guaranteed to be the best.

Some other shields that are a little less common, but still 'reasonable' in a lot of situations (I won't be as long winded with these explanations):

- Lidless Wall: It's kindof like Spirit-junior. FCR and +1 skill, and crap all after that.
    - 'Rhyme' runeword: A few nice stats, especially the 25% resistances, 25% MF, and the fact that it's dirt cheap.
    - 'Splendor' runeword: Probably the most overlooked, but it has a little bit of everything (+1 skill, 10 FCR, 20 MF, Mana Regen) and is reasonably cheap. Probably would be more popular if it increased block percentages, but it's pretty decent for a lot of MF sorcs.
    - Whistan's Guard: The highest-blocking-percentage shield in the game... and **** all after that.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  4. lendial

lendial Diabloii.Net Member

im a fan of vita sorc and spirit is simply unbeatle in all departments except block,+2all skills resists 55fhr 35fcr and its so cheap to make

5. SomeguyOneSixFour

SomeguyOneSixFour Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the advice: Probably going to go with Vis, seems like a decent choice and I would like some block on my shield. Is there any other equipment I should keep cognizant of besides Tal Rasha's? Like boots and armor that could have rough requirements?

6. Mikk0

Mikk0 Diabloii.Net Member

somehow my sorcs always end up with rhyme heather :scratch:

sirpoopsalot summed it up quite nicely :thumbsup:

7. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

A heather, huh? You wouldn't happen to be one of them knights who say "Ni", would you? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I too like the Rhyme Heater (or a bone/tower shield, for early game).

8. maiku

maiku Diabloii.Net Member

I thought Lidless Wall was rather popular on low strength, no block sorcs. It has decent stats. It's no Spirit Monarch...but then again, doesn't require 156 strength which is painful to get.