Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shield Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RedRockRun, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RedRockRun

RedRockRun Diabloii.Net Member

I have Umbral Disk and Stormguild, and while Stormguild seems like it's superior stat wise, is there a reason to go with Umbral Disk or small shields in general over large ones?

2. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Looks only, if stats of another shield is better.

Higher block chance can sometimes be offset by higher strength requirements, as if your only reason to pump strength is to carry the shield, maybe those points could have been put into dexterity to achieve the same blocking with another shield.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To complicate the issue, you will have to keep on investing into dex while leveling up to keep up your blocking rate. See here: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Blocking

I wouldn't bother too much about blocking until level 40 or so. Before that, invest into strength, so you can wear basic gear, then vitality, so you can take a few blows from tough enemies. Dexterity might still be necessary to meet the reqs of certain weapons and that will also improve your blocking chance. I would also have a reserve of let's say 20 unspent stat points while leveling, in case it suddenly beccomes opportune to meet the requirements of an unexpected find.

The higher the level, the more useful blocking will be and the more valuable a blocking bonus becomes in comparison to strength versus dexterity calculations.

Blocking is not that inportant for characters who don't enter melee. It's obviously irrelevant for those who aren't wearing a shield at all.

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Rhyme is better than either, and very easy to put together in 1.13+, even I untwinked.

About the only shields I really use 1.13+ are:
    Rhyme
    Spirit
    Stormshield

I have used Phoenix, Head Hunters Glory, Medusa's Gaze & HoZ too, but I could do without them.

If you really want to block, Whitstan's Guard (Set) takes the lowest dext investment.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    T72on1, Southpaw8668 and pharphis like this.