Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shield mod for phoenix?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by -Ferro-, Apr 26, 2005.

1. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

Shield mod for phoenix?

You the pro smiters paladins, which shield would you choose to make phoenix with? An elite pala shield with resists, or with ed%? Also, if you wouldnt use phonix, why?

Share your experiences and thoughts with all of us.

Thanks,

fer

2. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

if given the choice to make only one, i would make the one of the shield that naturally had the highest attributes (if it was between two elite pally shields). so if i found a supieror defense 65% ed pally elite i'd rather make that then a 35% resist all shield. with two shields of similar quality i'd rather make an ed/ar shield then a resistance shield. smiters and zealots are only going to use ed/ar shields anyways... the only pally class i see using res% ones are pure melee chargers.
    i made a great phoenix unfourtuneatly it would be pi$$-poor for a smiter, because its only exceptional... but its a great zealot and charger shield.
    202 def, 55% block, 65/121, royal. it ended up being 458%... the funny thing is that i beat pure smiters all the time with my zealot's base level smite... despite the shields insanely low smite damage... go figure.
    but i'm a strong believer of upped hoz being the best smite shield, unless you wander into a pure melee game then its all about phoenix... but if you can afford phoenix then surely you can afford a upped hoz.

3. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

Not sure, this shield is as good for smite as for zealot, when using Grief. The base smite damge could be is 20 damage lower, but with lets say 380 damge from grief and the ed% from phoenix(45x%), fana (5xx%), smite (6xx%), is not big diference at all.

4. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

from the figures you listed there that means phoenix accounts for like over 25% of your overall smite damage :rolleyes:

to be honest i dont think phoenix is the best smite shield... upped hoz is. i just think its really damn good when resistances arent necessairy...

5. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

Making numbers about it.

In the meanwhile, I wonder why to bother in upgrading HoZ when the damage gained is a minimal amout of the final output (allways with grief), while the strengh req are higher. What do you guys think about this?

6. ScorpioFury

ScorpioFury IncGamers Member

If you wanna use phoenix and you have around 150 str, there are really 2 choices.
    1- Zakarum shield. (Str req 142) This shield gives straight reliable damage and the damage wont fluctuate. The min and max damage on it is the same (46-46). Great choice for reliablilty.
    2- Vortex shield. (Str req 148) This shield's damage fluctuates like crazy, this means that there is a low min dmg and high max damage (5-87). This shield isnt as reliable, but it's able to give huge amounts of damage (and low amounts too lol)

If, however, you have low str (at least 109), use a sacred rondache. It is the next most reliable (compared to zakarum shield) smite dmg shield and has a low str req. However, it's damage still fluctuates a little bit, and the average damage is lower than zakarum shield.

Hope this helps.

-Leo

7. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

thnx for the answer, Scorpio.

But thats now exactly what I would like to know. I just wonder whats better to have in the base pala shield, the %ed bonus or the +%resists bonus. About the sort of shield u use, i think its irrevelant to think about the range of the smite damge on shield, since with grief you are to have a tight damge at the end. With grief you can smite like crazy even with the craperst shield.