Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shield for my sorceress?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Reborn2k, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Shield for my sorceress?

I am currently undecided on what shield to use for my sorceress. I play a blizzard/firewall sorc with Tal Rasha's Wrappings. I'll go for maxblock for sure, because the sorc gets only 2 life per vitality point and because I want to try it (my sorcs have never had maxblock until now). I thought of:

-Viscerataunt: good block, 1 skill
    -Moser's Blessed Circle: good block, good resists, 2 sockets
    -Stormshield: good block, nice 35% DR, some resists, but high requirements

I first wanted to use Viscerataunt, because of the skill. But I soon noticed that Tal's set offers 105/105/138/65 resists. With the Anya quest they would be: 135/135/168/95. With a rare ring (the other ring is SoJ): 160/142/175/102.

Now I want maxres (except probably poison) and the rest of my equip + charms are concentrating on mf. I first wanted to use viscerataunt with a perfect diamond. My resists would be:

179/161/194/121.

Erm lol. That's almost max, except cold. Need's 14 res = one or 2 charms.

That means that I have just answered my question on my own! ^^

Or would you use one of the other shields? *ashamed*

2. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Visc. and Stormshield are both good options.

I would prefer the Stormshield. The Visc. prevents such a large investment in strength however.

3. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

I use a rhymed grim shield.

4. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

very true, or even a rhyme bone shield.. it will give 60% block for a sorc and the strength requirements are very low. Besides the mods on it are made for your sorc :)

''Mil & Sam''

5. Reborn2k

Huh, I forgot that and it even has 25 allres. :) I have a 2 socket tower shield and a 2 socket heater lying around. Which one would be better? They are almost the same:

heater: about 100 defense, 42% block, round
    tower shield: about 20 defense, 40% block, cornered

I guess it depends on which style I like better, eh? :)

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I always prefere the big cornered shields. the smaller round ones just dont look as if they could block that well. stormshield is a ideal looking shield for me, but the requirements put it out of reach for most builds.

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Heater, tower shield is heavy shield - it makes you 10% slower running. It is noticable difference, and for MF purposes you will need all FRW you can get.

8. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

sorcs don't run, they teleport. :p

I prefer pavise if they can afford the strength requirements, but I make it in Grim shields to save some points.

Blocking is kept in the 50-60% range. No amount of blocking is going to help you if you get blasted by gloams.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Wrong - they have to run in towns. IMHO FRW is very important in Meph and Pindle runs.

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Its not very important, and i wouldnt choose a shield with lesser stats just because i would be able to run 10% faster. However, if 2 shiledas are equal in usefulness, but 1 is light and the other is heavy, i would indeed go for the light.

11. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

I disagree.

It is not out of the reach of any build. If the individual plans the character well then the usage of Stormshield is not difficult to achieve. It is more a playing preference than difficulty to equip.

Personally I do not see placing points into Vitality for a sorc for two reasons:

- If you are skilled at teleport you will minimise being hit
    - You get a minimal return for points divested into Vitality

I would much prefer reduce the chance of being hit by max blocking, then reduce the damage through PDR.

Again I will have to disagree with you.

In 1.09 when shopping for CCBoQ the Assassin was one of the best characters to do so, due to the amount of FRW that they could achieve (Burst of Speed).

A minimal amount of FRW is neglible, however if you are able to noticebly get to the location quicker (through town) then over a period of time the small amount of time saved will yield extra results.

This small gain may mean nothing to you, but speed is never a bad option.

12. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

For me 10% FRW > 2% block. My Blizzy actually have a Rhyme Heater.
    For Pindle and Meph block is irrelevant if you have a tanking mercenary.

But it's true that for area running FRW is less important and block is more important. (Still I would go with Heater, because I hate to run under 30 FRW even in town)

13. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

I'd go with Stormshield because of the 35% DR. :)

14. Reborn2k

Uuuuh. Hmm. Actually it's a question of style and I like Tower Shield better, but Heater is ok, too, if I'm going to run 10% slower with the Tower Shield. That's not worth it, because I intend to do pindle runs. A lot of pindle runs. :p I could still configure her for stormshield, but I think that with that much points "wasted" into strength and dex, she will have pretty low life and she'll be more vulnerable to elemental attacks, despite the max res. But since she will be an mfer, I will probably go for the Rhyme Heater. :)

What about Wartraveler? They have only 25% run and I don't seem to get any other FRW from my equipment... :-/

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You can get some FRW from charms. But in my experience I have only one charm with good resist an FRW. And FRW is the suffix mod, so you can't have a MF and FRW affix on one charm. So I load up my inv. with MF. And I only have one War Travelers on my Avenger, I am using rare boots with 30% FRW, double resists and 22% MF on my Blizz MFer.

16. Reborn2k

K, then I'll wait until I find some rare boots. :)

17. DontFret

DontFret IncGamers Member

The best sorceress shield IMHO is an upped Visceratuant socketed with whatever compliments the sorc at the time. My blizz and enchantress sorc use them and there is no equal for blocking, all things considered. Good luck

18. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Ehh, you sound really imperative.

For pindlerunner? what about 3xIST white Kite shield? :)

19. Nautilus

Nautilus IncGamers Member

I've turned my sorceress into a dedicated mephisto runner now, and I use a rhymed tower shield for the actual fighting, and a Lidless Wall for the FCR to help me tp down as quick as she can. Running Baal and Pindle is a whole other story though. For that I'd probably go back to Stormshield.

20. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything special on PDR mod for sorc. Well it's nice, but I get physically hit very seldom with my sorc. And reborn wants to make SC sorceress with MF. I would prefer any shield with MF I can get. (Well Rhyme the best option here, I don't have those 3 ISTs :D )