Shield dilemma

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
Shield dilemma

[Eur L SC]

My L81 MeteOrb sorceress has three shield options:
- Stormshield (sock: PDiamond)
- Visceratuant (not socketed)
- "Rhyme" Heater (25 res all, 25 mf, cbf, 62% ctb)

Would Visceratuant be the best choice if upgraded to elite (for 72% ctb)?
The Stormshield is now used by my L75 Javazon, which seems like the best use of this shield.

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:
I hadn't considered a Spirit Monarch. What's the cost of a 4os Monarch?
1 day of Pit and/or Cow and/or Baal running and 1 Larzuk quest :lol: ! Other than that, you can buy a decent Monarch for some PGems (3-30 depending on the Def and 0/4 sockets). But then again, there's no fixed price, it all depends on the vendor :thanks: !

EDIT : After your edit, I'll answer your second question ;). There's no good or bad choice. If you need a lot of resistances, go for Moser's with 2 PDiamonds. If you need block/DR, go for Stormshield. If you need firepower, go for Spirit. Lidless is always a cheaper alternative. Since Spirit has been released, you can get a decent Lidless for 3-6 PGems. If I were you, I'd go for Spirit (+2 Skills, 55% FHR, 35% FCR, huge resistances, HUGE life/mana, what more could you ask ?). But be careful, you'll need 156 Strength to wear the lighter Spirit :p !

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
4s monarch are generally worth pul rune on us ladders. thats about 40 pgems. 30 could probably get you one.

as for shield options, there are stickied guides in the sorceress forum that have shield discussions in them. spirit monarch is probably best if you plan to skip blocking entirely. if you want blocking than any 3 of the shields you mentioned is good. if you have 1 stormshield, use it on your javazon, probably the best shield for her. viscertuant is great for +1 and high block, and rhyme is good for magic find (it also has cannot be frozen which is great).

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
lonnie913 said:
spirit monarch is probably best if you plan to skip blocking entirely. if you want blocking than any 3 of the shields you mentioned is good...
This sorceress is max block. I've invested heavily in dex.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
spirit shield rules. i just got it for the +2 skills and fcr, and then i saw the resists. cool, i thought. and then i saw the vit and mana. my goodness. imho, this is the best shield ever. i made like 7 so far, and several of my chars use 2.

and then, just for fun, i made one in a crystal sword so i can go dualies. :) but the lvl req on the crystal sword is 25 (awesome to replace the +2 orbs i were using that came in at 42,) and the monarch is 56, so i haven't had the chance to use them together yet. :)

edit: 300 dex will give you 70% blocking with a spirit shield. :)

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
lonnie913 said:
4s monarch are generally worth pul rune on us ladders. thats about 40 pgems. 30 could probably get you one.
Seriously, 40 pgems or Pul for a 4s monarch is far, far too much. They drop quite often in hell mode (I hope it doesn't sound arrogant, but I don't pick them up anymore) and Larzuk will give it 4 sockets in any case. IMO they are worth 5-10 pgems. That's different with respect to superior ones, of course...

Sharaz

Diabloii.Net Member
why is sanctuary not a more popular choice? i have one on at least 5 characters. i rarely hear about any one else using them. i guess they suck! :rolleyes:

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
Sharaz said:
why is sanctuary not a more popular choice? i have one on at least 5 characters. i rarely hear about any one else using them. i guess they suck! :rolleyes:
because a 4 pdiamond shield blows it away. and KoKoMal sounds dumb.

but, a lot of other reasons too:
no skills
range on resists is too big
added chance to block is too low
spirit has slightly less resists in all except fire
pdiamond HoZ blows it away for pallies
too expensive
no mf

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
Seriously, 40 pgems or Pul for a 4s monarch is far, far too much. They drop quite often in hell mode (I hope it doesn't sound arrogant, but I don't pick them up anymore) and Larzuk will give it 4 sockets in any case. IMO they are worth 5-10 pgems. That's different with respect to superior ones, of course...
i didnt say they were hard to find, i said thats what they were worth. haha. they are in high demand.