Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shermo's LK runs 101-171 (d'oh!)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by shermo, Apr 4, 2005.

1. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

Shermo's LK runs 101-171 (d'oh!)

It seems that D2 has a sense of humour sometimes. (Time to start LK runs everyone)

Uniques:

33% Skin
    Flamebellow
    Baraner's star
    Bloodraven's charge

Skillers:

Shadow discipline

Charms:

158/9 poison
    8% fr/ 3 mf

No jewels of note

Runes

Vex!!! (run #131)
    Ko
    Lum
    Io
    shael

The vex came off a "random" corspe (One of the ones that changes places). First time I've ever seen a vex on the ground.

It's only 101-171 since my sorc got a bit too cocky. I tele'd into the middle of a might bird pack to pick up a small charm and 1206 life was gone in an instant. RIP "burnmother" lvl 83 sorc. They must have spawned extra strong or something too. Not that bothered though - the vex softened the blow.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Congratulations on the Vex!!!! that is sweet indeed...feel sorry for Illiana though:( all those runs.. Some nice uniques too, not to shabby...gotta go LK beckons.

Too bad about your sorceress...Hardcore right.

3. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Some great luck there! Wow, congratulations! I have insane luck with pindle atm, but as soon as it will decrease, I might try LK runs, too! Although I know that I won't find any runes, because of my general bad rune luck... :( Or LK is really that great! :D

4. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

another Vex = awesome

congrats on the find... everyone is going to be running LK now :D

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Its looking like LK => Vex. Of course you found one in many fewer runs that Illiana.

Sorry about your loss on the sorc. I can't stand losing HC chars. :(

6. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Time to start a sorc for me. I've been running a Hammerdin switching from Vigor to Conc (for killing) and i've found some decent set/uniques along the way ... and some good runes too. Nothing like a Vex yet of course.

However, LK running is certainly slower even with high(er) level Vigor. I've maybe done 40-50 runs max but have gotten Lem, Dols, Ios, Shaels and many other lesser runes. Tons of flawless gems and some decent jewels too. A 40% ed, 15% ias with 9 min dam ...

7. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove IncGamers Member

gg shermo, a beautiful rune indeed

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Why not continue the runs into Kurast Bazaar and Upper Kurast as well? Do all three repeatedly?

9. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

You could definitely do that ... although Bazaar and Upper Kurast are not as dense with poppables.

There are still quite a bit to be sure ... but LK has the highest density by far plus the other areas are more congested and they are populated with real space eating monster which really get into the way.

Additionally, those spikey Urdar-type monsters are quite dangerous on p8 with their stun attack. My level 90 merc with a socketed eth Reapers, Glad Bane and G-Face dies fairly often if he gets swarmed with them because he gets stun-locked like it'snobody's business.

From a quantity point of view it's probably better to just save/exit and redo LK ...

10. Chimaira

I've been wondering a bit about this myself...My necro had a sweet LK map where the 3 superchests where almost right beside the waypoint...Wouldn't it yield better results to just hit the 3 superchests and then save and exit, instead of popping baskets and logs...Or would that be an error. I'm not sure what chances the superchests have of dropping runes, but don't really drop all that many runes and don't really drop flawless gems either...As far as I know Flawless gems and runes are part of the same "treasure class" so a flawless gem is sort of a failed rune drop...I know there's been a lot of talk about superchests, but mostly concerning uniques/sets...does anyone have some info.

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon IncGamers Member

My understanding is that the superchests have the best chance to drop high-end runes, so the answer would be "yes". This is how I've been doing them. (Not that I have anything to show for it yet, after 40 runs ...)

12. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

Well Shermo, it seems like a congrats and a RIP are in order. Frankly, I am not quite sure if a smiley would be appropriate here, considering your sorc died. But still, a Vex! Wow, and much faster then me. See people? Go run Lower Kurast. It'll get you good runes! ;)

And my answer to Chimaira's question would be: no! I don't think it would be better to only hit the super chests and then save&exit. The best rune I've gotten from a super chest this far is a Lem, and both Shermo and I got our Vex from a random corpse/hollow log/whatever. Then of course there's the fact that it also takes time to load after you save and exit (and on a slow computer like mine, that is really a significant amount of time), and it also takes time to run to the waypoint.

13. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

I'm curious about the specifics of how other people pattern their LK run. Can you, or more to the poitn do you since you probably can if you think about it long enough first, pattern the run so you end at the same place you started (WP) without running over large expanses of already cleared land? I know when I run Meph I go to the red portal afterwards to avoid that long run when starting up the game in Act III to the WP. If you end a LK run at the WP you can take it to another act and exit, and save yourself that running time each run. As I write this I realize its probably too involved to be worth the effort but I'm going to post it anyway :D

14. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what the point would be, if you are only doing LK runs. After the run, save & exit.

15. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Then you have to run a long way at Kurast Docks to the wp. In you can end your run at LK wp, just quickly go to act 4. In next game you will start next to the Pandemonium Fort wp, which of course makes runs a little bit faster :)

16. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

I'm suprised noone has mentioned that you can get 2 sets of superchests on one LK map. Everyone knows that you get three super chests next to the round bonfire - right? Well you can actually get 2 bonfire's on the one map and 6 superchests.

With my map the wp was in the middle and about 2/3rds the way up. I worked out a pretty good path that went 'round the outside. It missed out a little bit in the middle - but there only seemed to be baskets in there anyway

17. jrlafrance

I guess you could do that, but I would rather use a TP to Kurast, then WP to Act IV.

18. jrlafrance

I've heard about this bonfire, but I'm not sure what exactly it is? Does someone have a screenie of this?

19. barren

barren IncGamers Member

There's super chests in lower kurast? Where? When I go rune hunting I run from the bazaar into the lvl 2 sewers and pop the 10 chests in there. Isn't that the most efficient way to run for runes off of a good map seed?

20. Chimaira

They are around the bonfires as Shermo said...Thanks for mentioning that there can be 2x3 Superchests...didn't know that:)