Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

sharp, max dmg and reqs

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Cerberus, May 11, 2005.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

sharp, max dmg and reqs

I just found a sharp GC of strength (9/70/6) and saw that it had a req of 21.
    I find this a bit odd as the max dmg-mods (pre- and suffixes) have such high reqs.
    A coral GC of maiming (21 L res/4max dmg) I had lying around had a req of 63 for comparison.

Is this some well-known bug or is there a perfectly good explanation for this?

2. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure most max gc's have a low lvl req. Maybe when paired with something like light resist the lvl req jumps significantly. Not sure though.

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

the plain max damage mod for some reason has a steep lvl req, while sharp gc's, even a perf 10/76 prefix is still lvl 21. i would think that 6 str would raise the lvl req a bit though. =o very nice charm though. =D

4. Nolomite

Nolomite IncGamers Member

Actually, the +6 to strength mod (the highest available) carries a req level of 14.

On your other charm, the Coral mod has a low req level, but the Maiming mod carries a very high one.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/largecharms.shtml

Please recall that Arreat Summit calls their charms 'small' 'medium' & 'large', rather than calling them 'small' 'large' and 'grand' - it's just a nomenclature faux pas.

Arreat Summit also answers the req level question definitively on the 'General Magic Prefixes page:

5. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

For affix questions use d2data.net, as the AS has Alvls and Rlvls mixed up and quite a few typos IIRC. Not to mention the fact that there are affixes missing as well.

Nolomite: That quote only applies to D2C affixes. The 'new' expansion affixes don't follow that rule at all.

6. Cerberus

It`s this "some reaon" I can`t figure out. Why is it that a GC of maiming (4max dmg) has a req of 63, when a Sharp GC can spawn with 10 max dmg AND up to 76ar and still have a req of 21? Even a serrated GC of maiming couldn`t compete with that (7 max dmg).
    This seems a bit unbalanced to me.

Got some good info for cubing though :)

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

It's to make up for the fact that +max went way higher in 1.07. +40 max dmg Grands Charms were possible.

8. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

oh i see. so if you want max damage past the 10 from sharp, you can only get 4 from maiming. and you need to pay lvl req.

9. Cerberus

So it`s for keeping any of those charms that survived to NL 1.10 at a high req? That makes sense.

Thx!

10. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I don't think any of those charms ever existed on bnet.

There's no sane reason why those +max affixes have such a high Alvl and Clvl requirement. Let's blame it on the crack monkeys working at Blizzard, as we always do. :rolleyes:

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I guess their logic is like this: The +maxdmg affix exists as a suffix (as well as a prefix, according to d2data.net) which can combine with the max/ar prefix, so they can appear in combination. On its own, the suffix is next to less with such a high level req, but together with e.g. the max/ar prefix, it significantly improves the charm. It's the same with charms having a pure maxdmg prefix together with a suffix.

12. Cerberus

The max dmg affix and suffix together will be 3 points short of a perfect sharp GC. As for sharp stacking with the maiming affix it could get 14 max/76 ar. I don`t see why these 4 points should make that big a difference in req?
    (I`ll have to give in to the fact that 9max/208ar or 14max/76ar on a GC IS pretty neat!)

I`m more in favor of RTBs point:
    "If you have enough monkeys
    banging randomly on typewriters,
    they will eventually type the works
    of William Shakespeare."

In this case:
    "If you have enough monkeys
    banging randomly on computers,
    they will eventually program a new
    patch for d2 but forget to adjust
    lvl reqs for max dmg on charms."