Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shall I build a merc for my PvP nec?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by QQTony, Jun 4, 2005.

1. QQTony

QQTony IncGamers Member

Shall I build a merc for my PvP nec?

Yes, I've tried post this question in Nec forum but no one answer my.
    I was wondering if i need a merc. If yes, do I need act 1 merc with faith or act 2 merc.

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Try PvP forum. What kind of necro?

3. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

i think u have a summoner, cause u suggested faith, and its probably handy to have a merc with as much aura's to help boost ur skellie dmg. If u have a bone necro maybe u need some meditation and should go with a act 2 with insight. Else i dunno :)

4. QQTony

QQTony IncGamers Member

thx for input.

I'm PvP nec. All poison skill with curse. I was wondering I need act 1 merc.
    My question is: will my merc easy to die?
    what kind of bow shall she use, Faith? so what kind of the raw material for Faith is?

5. CameronFoster

CameronFoster IncGamers Member

Don't use a merc in PvP. Waste of time leveling it and it will just die.

I had an Act 1 Merc on my Ele . I figured it would help against hammerdins, I tele alot so it basically stayed inside my Hurricane.

In the end it used Faith, Fort and Dream, and did absolutly nothing.

Just my 2 cents

~CF

6. frygia

frygia IncGamers Member

If you're a good poison necro, with a LOT of items that will make life of your opponent go almost to nothing, I would suggest you use a merc act 1 with a Hand Of Justice bow. Reason: She won't hit anything, but the Holy Fire aura from the bow will finish that small quantity of life of your opponent. Your main problem is to keep her alive... and since she doesn't rush into an opponent, it's not as difficult as with the other mercs. Life leech for her won't be useful, she will die quick if she's hit hard, so I would go to max dmg reduced and max resists gear, or +life gear. Important is to tele a lot, bring her close to the enemy you poisoned, let the holy fire aura work and finish the enemy.

It's an error to go offensive with mercs on PvP, the only way they can help you is passively (auras), and even so only in cases that you are with chars that hardly get hit from an enemy. Poison necro is one of them, you don't want to face the enemy, only poison them and run away. Make everything you can to keep her alive, not to kill anything... holy fire will do that bit for you.

7. QQTony

QQTony IncGamers Member

:clap: Well, thx for input. This is great answer.
    In your opinion, a merc with holy fire aura will be good for poison nec. How about bone spear/ bone spirit nec?
    From your suggestion, I think merc will help nothing for bone skill nec.
    I'll give up leveling any merc.

8. Duelskull2

Duelskull2 IncGamers Member

Holy freeze is always good.

9. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

First off, alot of duelers will find using a merc to be BM (bad manners, cheap, not fair) but it might be a nice thing to have incase your opponent does the same. Just don't be surprised if your opponent starts NKing you because you insist on using a merc.

For a PvP poison (I assume psn nova) necro a Hand of Justice equipped merc would work, but that would be a waste in my opinion. You don't need a Hand of Justice merc for a fire aura, you can use a Fire Golem instead which has a fire aura already. You are probably best off using an Act 1 Rogue merc with that Faith bow if you actually want it to try to contribute to damage or you could instead load up the merc with slow/knockback gear to mess up your opponent and make him easier prey. Remember that the merc will fire an arrow at your opponent every time you tele, so tele rapidly if you want the merc to fire quickly.

Mercs in general die quickly for a couple reasons, but a big one being that they aren't affected by the PvP penalty. Their damage may seem low but I've been told that it doesn't get cut to 1/6th so it's higher than it seems. However, damage they take is also not cut by 1/6th. Thus an attack to them will do 6 times more damage to the merc than it would do to you. Expect it to die fairly frequently. As a Bone necro myself, I just spam some Teeth in their direction and 1-2 waves will kill most mercs easily.