Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

shael in a storm?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by ploof, Mar 30, 2004.

1. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

shael in a storm?

just wondering whether anyone knew how a shael works socketed in a shield (I.e. storm) and whether or not it'll help my block...

yeah, i know everyone hates socketing questions. I just want to know whether the 20% fbr will do anything for an almost exact duplicate of kfury's fireclaw rabies druid.

Mostly this is because in reading his guide and doing some tests in singleplayer I haven't noticed a difference in socketing the shield with shael or not, and since kfury says "I don't know how this works in 1.1.." or something to that affect, I wondered whether anyone did.

so: how will 55% fbr affect storm as compared to 35% (normal). \\

`ploof :buddies:

2. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

It's one frame faster, and his "I don't know" refers to how block has changed in 1.10 in that Block-Lock has been removed.

Of course you could use the Calculator, because like it says, Attack Speed, Faster Hit Recovery, and Faster Block Rate.

3. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Yeah the whole Block Lock thing is so confusing now. I'm not sure if Shael will help you survive more now or not, but it probably will.

4. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

does blocking one frame faster mean that i'm blocking more, or that the animation is simply faster? I'm so confused. I did not realize that the calculator covered fbr as well, sorry :p

i'm guessing that blocking one frame faster means that I block one more hit per frame... ?

5. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

No, it takes one less frame to complete the motion of blocking, meaning you can block again sooner.

6. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

Since 1.10 there is a no-block period after blocking in which you cannot block. This has been implemented in 1.10 to avoid block lock problems. The no-block period is related to the blocking speed you have, but it is still not fully known how the values mix.
    It is thought by some that the no-block period is half the length of the frame you reach, which means that if you block at a rate of 6 frames, you won't be able to block for the next 3 frames after the animation has been completed. You can then only block once every 9 frames.
    I don't think that it is correct though and the no-block period seems longer (more like the full 6 frames rather than half of it if you ask me). It'll need some testing in future to fully disclose the workings. Who's up for testing?

Anyway, what this means is that faster block rate "can" have double effect on how soon you can block again by effectively shortening the blocking animation itself and the no-block period.

Now to your question.... Theory is fine but practice overrules everything.
    A shael in your stormshield *should* help but personally I never noticed much of it myself and I prefer jewel sockets (-req for instance) or other runes.

7. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

What I understand here is that when a player blocks, there is a period of time that he can't block again, but I think they refer to block animation meaning that block animation is not played again while player is in that period but, actually, player is blocking the attack.
    That should explain why that period is greater as greater is your blocking speed.

Maybe I'm wrong :D

8. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

No because that would mean it is possible to get continuous blocking and that doesn't happen anymore.

9. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

Mele FC bear here, going in Europe with a storm with an open socket (duuno wether shael or facet).

My bear blocks damm slow, the animation period takes so long (well, in any wereform you just see ur druid stops hitting for a quite a long period). Im up for testing, if the other person has a shaeled storm.

*ferro44
    *ferro55
    Ladder Europe