Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shadow Killer (PvM Build)

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Dimmu Borgir, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu Borgir IncGamers Member

Shadow Killer (PvM Build)

Alright, this is the final build for the most part of my Kicker variant. Comments and critique is still welcome.

As with all Dragon Talon builds, its possible to get high kick damage, but you have to center your entire build around it. This is what this build does. You will be focusing on getting lots of Strength, lots of Crushing Blow, and lots of Increased Attack Speed.

SKILL POINTS

20 Dragon Talon
    20 Fade
    20 Cloak of Shadows
    20 Weapon Block
    Rest in Venom and Blade Shield, or invest in Shadow Master or Burst of Speed (For IAS).
    (Reasons explained below)

STAT POINTS (Out of five stars [*****])

STR: [****_]
    DEX: [*____]
    VIT: [*****]
    NRG: [_____]

EQUIPMENT (Not finalized yet)

HELM: Natalya's Totem.
    You want one with max STR bonus (+20). Also socket a Perfect Amethyst for more STR if you want.

ARMOR: Currently, I have a Boneweave Enigma.
    You can afford the STR cost for high-level armors because thats a stat you focus in, so you could probably go for even better armors than a Boneweave. As I said I use an Enigma for now, but Fortitude might be a better option for this build.

PRIMARY WEAPON: Shadow Killer Battle Cestus, socketed with a Ber.
    Lots of good mods are on this weapon for a kicker, which is why the build is named after it. It gives Freezes Target, chance of Frost Nova, and Crushing Blow from the Ber. With 5 kicks per burst, you'll be releasing rapid frost novas and freezing everything around you, an excellent bonus for a melee build.

SECONDARY WEAPON: Jade Talon.
    You want this for the +Skills to help out your Fade and whatever else you enhance yourself with, plus it gives resistances. Kicks only receive mods from your PRIMARY weapon, so you're free to put whatever claw you want here. If you don't need resists, Bartuc's is probably a better option.

GLOVES: Crafted "Blood" Vampirebone Gloves.
    Recipe is Magic Heavy/Sharkskin/Vampirebone Gloves, Nef Rune, Perfect Ruby, and any Jewel. Easy stuff to come by that gives you glvoes with EXCELLENT mods. The ones I crafted got 20% Increased Attack Speed, 3% Life Leech, and 8% Crushing Blow. Try and go for the IAS and max Crushing Blow (10%). Note that PREVIOUS MODS ON GLOVES AND JEWELS DO NOT MATTER. Mods will be re-rolled when you craft, so grab random useless Jewels from Cow games and gamble yourself some gloves. Alternatively you can get some Steelrends, but I find the crafted gloves to be better.

BELT: Verdungo's Hearty Cord.
    You won't have the ability as much as other builds to invest in VIT, so Dungo's is a must for the health support.

AMMY: Highlord's Wrath.
    Unfortunately, Deadly Strike does not work with kicks, but the +1 Skills and Increased Attack speed is what you need from it.

RING 1: Bul-Kathos. (Though I have a Dwarf Star)
    + Skills, 'nuff said.

RING 2: Stone of Jordan. (Though I have a Manald Heal)
    +1 Skills, and I think some Mana support.

BOOTS: Upgraded Goreriders. (Though I have Marrowwalk)
    Absolutely awesome, these give Crushing Blow, and when upgraded, turn into Myrmidon Greaves, the best Kick Damage boots in the game. Nothing better to ask for, really.

MERC:

I found a Cold Wolf (Act III) to be the most useful, but am unsure what to equip him with.

FAQ:

Why no Death Sentry?
    I realise corpse explosion helps a lot, but I got to thinking... You're using a Shadow Killer. 95% of the enemies you kill will SHATTER. There's nothing for Death Sentry to cast it on. Ever. Complete waste of points.

Why focus on STR?
    Simple, STR is put into the Kick damage equation twice. You want all the help you can get to boost Kick damage.

Why Dual Claw?
    Firstly, because the build is centered around Shadow Killer's amazing mods. Secondly, because Weapon Block can block spells. This is extremely useful against enemies like Black Souls.

Why Venom and Blade Shield?
    You only hit one enemy at a time, so I figure a little extra help would be nice in crowds. Blade Shield sucks on its own, but it receives poison damage from Venom, not to mention Venom also applied to kicks. Its not that much extra damage but it helps a bit, plus I couldn't think of anything else to invest points into.

Any further questions will be added to this FAQ.

Critique and Comment please!

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

I don't have much experience in kicker, but it seems that you're only using the Nat helm for str, so why not use a Giant Skull or Andariel's Visage? Both give more str. The former gives extra crushing blow and 2os, the latter gives +2 skills, IAS and LL.

3. Dimmu Borgir

Actually no. I find Nat's helm to be better because it gives STR and DEX bonuses, both of which are added into Kick damage, and it also gives resist bonuses. 20 to STR plus a P.Amethyst will balance out the STR Giant Skull and Andariel's have on Natalya's Totem, but overall, Nat's is more benefitial in more areas.

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Shadow killer's Freeze mod will not shatter cold immunes. Death Sentry will work fine on all cold immunes killed, of which there are many in hell.

Also, Weapon Block is completely negated while moving, it only works while standing still.

Also, you've got 20 in Fade, and you suggest more points into BoS. You can only have one active at a time. For a 20 point investment with diminishing returns per point, you're going to want to get the most out of Fade.

Andy's Visage is superior to Nat's helm, not only for the +Str bonus, but the +2 skills makes up the damage from the lack of dex on Nat's. And +2 skills will help elsewhere too, like increase your Fade, overall Attack Rating (+to DTalon), and will help you get to level 24 (or 30) DTalon for the extra kick. Don't forget the 10% Life Leech. Melee characters survive on leech. Socket it with an Um, and you've matched the average resist bonus on Nat's.

You've also got no mention of Cannot Be Frozen. It's pretty much a necessity for all non-caster characters to ensure survival. Ravenfrost ring is the most common source, but there are others, like a Cham rune or Trang's or Death's set belts.

I'm no expert on Assassins, but those are just some of the things I've noticed.

P.S. What's your Attack Rating like? With very few of your gear providing AR bonuses, you'll likely be not hitting much. You may need to stock up on AR charms, or throw an Eth rune in your Shadow Killer instead of Ber.

5. Dimmu Borgir

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into Andy's later on.

Attack rating is not a problem, DTalon gives over +500% Attack rating boost right now. Something close to that.