Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shacknews: Blizzard wanted a Diablo for handhelds

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by fmulder, Oct 9, 2012.

1. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

More tidbits from the upcoming Blizzard North book via Shacknews, click for some addtional info on a second D2 expansion that never eventuated:
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/76097/author-blizzard-wanted-a-diablo-for-handhelds

Would you have bought "Diablo Junior" if it had been made? Perhaps we would see future Diablo titles on hand-helds?

2. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

i dont think they would have done well - i think the most advanced handheld at the time was gameboy advanced. and i dont see how they would have created an satisfying arpg experience unless they made in a style of castlevania and not like a topdown view game.

if they intendet to make it into an turn based game like final fantasy / golden sun / pokemon it could have worked ; but they also would have had a lot of competition with the beforementioned games.

3. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Zelda could actually be quite easily adapted to become an aRPG.

4. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Diablo Junior? That name alone is awful enough I'd not have bought it, if it was the real name and not the working title...

That aside, I really was never much into handhelds as a kid except for tetris (which i still love) and one or two other games. I really don't think I'd have gone for a black and white (or weird pale-colored on the later game boy) Diablo type game. Some franchises I'm /really/ into, and there's a chance you could sell me on picking up a lower quality game for the story alone (I've been tempted to pick up some random final fantasy things, for example). Diablo never fit in that sort of a category for me.

I mean, I criticize D3's a lot as being horrible. But the truth is D2 doesn't have /that/ much going on that grabs me beyond a fun premise for a game. I like the basic idea, and can get into it. But I don't have a need to delve into the deep history of the Visjeri or what not. I honestly prefer to tie it into (non-existant) parallels with real-world religion than with the game world they started developing heavily after Diablo 1.

As a business model, I think the 3 cartridge thing could have been clever. Had it been a game I was into, I'd probably have picked up multiple cartridges of it. But that's a big challenge they'd have had with me, to draw me to a product that was graphically inferior (and probably had worse controls and audio as well).

As an adult, it would be an even tougher sell. I haven't touched a handheld console in ages, and don't have any plans to with my cellphone being sufficient to kill small blips of free time.

Edit: While I say I'm not into the back story they started developing heavily after Diablo 1, I also think that some sort of "prequel" is the best bet they have for a Diablo 4. Since the other premise of Diablo coming up into the world and being defeated is getting really played out at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they go down that path some day, and it could definitely make a neat game if done well.