Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sewers, Level 2 (Act 3) potential?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Abobo, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Abobo

Abobo IncGamers Member

So, I was questing through act 3. Cruising along, no problems. Anyhow, my map configuration gave me a map with the ability to teleport from the Kurast bazaar WP to the stairs to sewers 2 in ~6 seconds(14 TP's, 105 BP). It takes me about ~10 seconds total to pop the 3 superchests in the level and port around looking for oranges. Sometimes I have to avoid enemies. I have witnessed up 3 unique packs but about 80% of the time the only enemies are the water serpents in the middle of level.

All of this was done at /p7.

I decided to do 100 runs to get a vague idea of it. I didn't get any HR's but a lot of other stuff. 10 SC, 10 LC, 11 GC, 12 jewels and highest rune was Lum(out of 22 total), from the khalim brain chest of all places. Only 2 of the charms were notable. Both SC: 11cr, 5fhr the other 10pr, 3frw.

Another thing I noticed was the high amount of blue class-specific items that dropped. Barb helms, claws, heads, orbs, javs & spears were dropping very often. Only pal shields and dru pelts were uncommon.

I took my time to loot these and upped my run times a bit but getting a good class item is tempting. For example, one of the barb helms I found was 3warcry, 3battle command, 2skin, 1battle order(If only BO/BC were reversed...). Got a 3 shadow claw with no staffmod. My best drop was a 4/4 LvlUp fire facet but that came from a unique that spawned in the level, not a chest.

One last thing. The map that I have is far from perfect for TP speed. I was questing a pally through NM during a break. If the pally had TP he could reach sewers 2 in 5 TPs.....3 from WP, 2 to stairs. Thats 2-3 seconds or so.

I don't know the in-depth particulars of runedrops and ideal player settings from the super chests. I am willing to do a few hundred more I am just kinda curious if the effort would be worth it. Any ideas or suggestions?

coju likes this.
  2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Which are the three superchests? Two in the downwards section and one to the right? Are they "stable" super chests, meaning they always act like it?

I don't do runs but I always like and look forward this area, on all difficulties, because of the many drops.

It's an alvl 85 area, so bosspacks can drop almost any item.

3. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Your main idea is to compare that area with LK superchests since chests in sewers also can drop up to Ber. Putting runes aside, beating LK in charms and jewels is also your goal. Since I did several thousand runs in LK, I can provide you with certain data so you can compare the areas.

Opening only superchests in LK in over 3k runs:
    1 pgem average in 4.76 runs (or 1 flawless per 1.59 runs)
    1 small charm average in 6.97 runs
    1 grand charm average in 6.82 runs
    1 jewel average in 6.94 runs

Now we must also include run-times to compare the areas legit way. That is kinda subjective, but I assume anyone can do LK running in 25 seconds if he cares at least a little to practice it and roll a decent map. With assumption of at least 25 seconds running, in LK you can farm 100 pgems in 198 minutes, 100 small charms in 290 minutes and so on. Best players can do LK running in 20 seconds and less. Comparing rune drops makes no sense unless you do like 5k runs or something to have any kind of legit data for comparison (I don't think comparing middle runes makes sense since those are practically worthless, with exception of crafting runes).

With your data, 1 charm per 10 runs lets say for all of them, you need to have average runtime of 17.5 seconds to be comparable with LK, or sub 14 seconds to have comparable farming efficiency as fastest LK runners. That is for small charms for example, for grand charms you have to be even faster. Now you can do several hundreds more runs to have more precise number on charms and jewels drop, and gems for better comparison. Then you will have an answer are sewers worth it, or is LK too good.

4. Abobo

Abobo IncGamers Member

Jiansonz - Yes, imagining the sewers level 2 as a " + " sign, with the char entering from the left side of the + , there are 2 chest on the bottom and 1 on the right. I have also liked this area on all difficulties. Breaks the monotonous tone of act 3 a little bit. The aLvl is a good bonus when a unique pack spawns. I remember when that Sacred Armor dropped and it looked so gold but it was a rare. Boo!

Gripphon - Those numbers seem to mesh well with my limited data. I forgot to include gems in my OP. My gem drops seemed on par with yours. I was seeing a flawless almost every run. Another thing I forgot to mention, although this may not be unique to the area, a lot of crafting items dropped as well, referring to only the more popular ones like sharkskin gloves, heavy bracers, mesh belts and so on. I got 14 of those, 6/3/5. But that is probably common in other superchests.

If I could roll for my sorc the map I mentioned in my OP, with some practice, I could probably bring a run to ~15 seconds if I ignored everything except charms/jewels/gem/runes. The main problem with this area is its limited size. At /p7 so many items were dropping that it is difficult to see what is around even with creative movement. Do you happen to know how the odds for drops would be if I lowered settings to /p5 or /p3? What I mean is....will I reduce the clutter on lower player settings?

In any case I like this experiment. I will do a few hundred more runs, perhaps going to 1 or 2k. The only other problem is the unique packs. From my observations, ghouls, wasps, greater mummy w/ skeletons, and fetish dolls spawn in the level; I have seen 3 packs in one spawn. One time there were 2 packs at bottom of the " + ". The dolls are the problem. I died once due to TP into extra fast, extra strong, FE doll pack. Other than dolls, the rest are easily avoidable.

I'll post more results as they come in but don't hold your breath. It's going to take me some time :D

5. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

People have definitely run the sewers before, especially before LK was known/documented, but the biggest issue is: LK has 6 superchests - as well as 4 racks - and can be run blisteringly fast. To your most recent point about clutter: that's yet another point in LK's favor as positioning your sorc to maximize visibility is much easier with the space provided in LK.

Dropping players settings will both change the amount of clutter and the rune drops you have available. Assuming jjscud's testings are accurate (and the forum has worked on that assumption for 5 years now) the drop off in rune chances from going below p7 is very severe on the act 3 superchests.

As far as dealing with clutter, just the usual way: stand to the right and hold alt while opening the chests.

6. Abobo

Abobo IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tip for dealing with clutter. It's been working greater than using TK on the chest from a distance. I did recall reading something about rune drop rates decreasing for less players in a certain area but couldn't remember what it referred to. Good to have that cleared up.

It seems like LK is better overall. Still....for the hell of it I'll document at least 400 more runs. I don't do much with this particular sorc but item find so it's all the same to me.

7. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I ran sewers superchests before I restarted in HC, and learned about how much better LK is. It's pretty fun if you consider doll packs and unraveller packs to be fun, as well as item clutter :p
    I managed a ber + gul from the chests, and I think a vex from a rat's nest

8. Abobo

Abobo IncGamers Member

I completed another 500 runs. I rerolled my map until I got a good one...6 teleports from town to sewers 2. Only took 3 rerolls too! So here is what I found.

Cubed up 138 Perfect gems
    77 small charms
    62 large charms
    69 grand charms, including 5 skillers(all with no suffix)
    92 jewels total, including 7 rare
    192 runes, notable ones being lem, mal, ist, pul, gul and umx2

Notable items from killing monsters: Leviathan, Firelizards, Shadow Killer, 12ed Superior Sacred Armor, Jewelers Protector Shield of Deflecting(40 All Resists automod, ethereal:mad:), +3,-5 fire facet.

Runs would take me about 15-20 seconds if there were no monsters. My map always had 8 chests(sometimes more chests would spawn) and I would pop them with TK and look around.

All in all it wasn't a bad haul. I'm sure LK would be better for rune hunting. I plan to do more runs here but am going to change my style. I'll equip a bunch of GF equipment and pick that up too. With high amounts of GF picking up over 100,000 per run seems possible. I don't have any chars that can do council runs effectively so this is a good option. MF can also be included.

Out of the 500 runs:

127 had 1 unique pack
    31 had 2 unique packs
    5 had 3 unique packs
    34 had champion packs

Not the most efficient MF, but combining it with the GF and chest popping makes it a one stop location for everything I could need.

I'll post more results when I log another 1000 runs. Whenever that may be. But it will be eventually.

9. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Cool! Thanks for the data and congrats on your finds!

10. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Really interesting thread, keep up the good work!

11. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

This seems like it has potential for getting some HR's slightly slower than LK but with the added bonus of getting some rare gear from the boss packs. If you are just going for HR's up to BER then Trav or LK is probably the way to go. If you aren't in a rush for those and want the possibility of some other goodies dropping, then it could be viable.

12. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

This is neat, if I didn't mind the higher chance of dying I could see this as a potential alternative to LK, or perhaps in combination with LK just making it one longer run (with a fancy circular map with double fires back to wp and short trip to sewers level 2 - would have to be a really lucky map).

13. Mungojerry

Mungojerry IncGamers Member

This is superinteresting. I've always been intrigued by the possibility of doing some optimal combo, for minimum amount of downtime, as Pyro suggested. LK --> Sewers --> Trav -->... Besides having to be faster/moreefficient than LK one would probably also have to manage the WP's so that you end up in A4 somehow. Would be interesting to see if whole of SPF could come up with something (however unlikely).

14. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Could use TP scroll in Sewers lvl 2.

Instead of trav, RoF could be used for 2x superchests.. but getting decent maps for all 3 areas would be challenging

15. Abobo

Abobo IncGamers Member

Great idea concerning the TP scroll. So simple and I never considered that! Indeed, running from the spawn point in Act 3 to the WP took almost as much time as getting to sewers 2 and popping the chests(not looting the drops though). I'll incorporate that into my next rounds.

Regarding chance of dying it is indeed there. My only death in these runs is when I TP into a pack of ES,EF dolls who had a might aura on them from another pack near the Khalim Brain chest. Yet it is possible to lower the chances of death. I have noticed that the unique packs, when they spawn, always spawn in the same areas. For example some non-static map objects, like a shrine or a random chest, sometimes appeared as a pack.

My LK map seed is horrible. I did a about 20 runs doing LK -> Sewers but it did not seem to pay off. I don't know LK well at all. I was only able to find 2 superchests that spawned reliably. There may be another alternative. I am also not very familiar with upper kurast(which is where I WP to go to sewers), but I was able to consistently find 2 superchests in the big temple-like structures.

Great ideas friends and thanks for the input.

16. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

17. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

The ideal map for LK is always with two campfires as srrw described that sort of lead back to the wp. That way you can start in Act 4, use TK on the wp there, transport to Act 3 LK, pop the 6 chests and take the WP back to Act 4. That prevents you from having to run through Act 3 town, which takes up the majority of a time in a run.

You could in theory still use that circular campfire map in conjunction with a short map to sewers 3 then use a tp to get back to Act 4, but since most of your time is already cut down already from not having to go through town, its really only taking out the loading times between acts and creating a new game, which may or may not be efficient enough.

LK--->Sewers-->Trav doesn't make much sense to me as Trav you focus on actually killing something where the other two you are focusing on getting there as fast as possible, which would make up two different gear sets. You could try to get a good RoF map in there too, but now you're hoping for 3 good maps in one, instead of just one or two.

18. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

IIRC Marvel ran the sewer chests for a bit. Don't think the results were spectacular.