Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Severe weather and local TV stations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Merick, May 12, 2005.

1. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Severe weather and local TV stations

Guess what local TV channel affiliates? I DON'T CARE WHERE THERE IS A THUNDERSTORM/FLOOD/TORANDO WARNING/WATCH.

Throughout the entire spring you can't watch a single show on Fox, CBS, ABC, or NBC without it being interupted because there may or may not be a thunderstorm developing somewhere on the edge of their broadcast area. I'll go to my basement when the windows start breaking or the sirens go off, otherwise I don't care.
    The other day, I was trying to watch a 2 hour season finale. Channel 11 spends AN HOUR talking about possible tornado sightings, and what to do if there's a tornado. Channel 3 is carrying the same show, but only interupts for a few minutes during the commercial breaks. Guess which channel I watched? I find it hard to believe that anyone would rather watch an hour of a weatherman talking about not trying to out-run a tornado than a season finale they've been looking forward to.

2. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

You'll be regretting that when a tornado whisks your house off to Oz.

Just remember, theres no place like home...

3. skihard

skihard Banned

Do you have doppler 4000 with street level mapping, i don't think so.........until you do you can't come close to knowing how bad these local wheather dorks are

4. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

It's not just weather that this happens with. News is just as bad.

One of the things that ticked me off most about our campaign in Afghanistan was the fact that the networks thought we cared so much that we needed to watch black and green flashes that could have been bacterial procreation for all I could tell, with a steady commentary of annoying reporters which amounted to something like "I'm hearing booms, yes, I think that's a bomb hitting, and according to what I can tell, I think it hit a building. Okay, I hear planes flying over now, and--wait, more bombs hitting."

And the first day this happened? 3ish in the afternoon on a Saturday. Just so happened to be the Saturday the US National soccer team had a World Cup Qualifier at 2:30 on ABC and I'd invited several people over and stocked the house with beer to watch it.

Guess when the news footage ended. Yup. Just in time for the game to end and the Saturday night lineup to start. I was livid (and drunk, which is a bad combination).

5. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

sorry for offtopic but why aren't you green anymore DC?

6. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I'm still green on the WoW forums, but for simplicity's sake we're only going to be green on the specific branch where we're mods. In other words, I get to kick aragorn around on the WoW forums because he's not green over there anymore (or Freet for that matter...*plots to overthrow Freet*). Because it's effectively three different sites, it was too complicated to have us all be mods on all three sites, especially now that we're adding mods to WoW and GW.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I thought the same thing you did until an F4 literally jumped over my house two years ago. I saw so many leveled houses and I-Beams going through 200 year old oak trees that I decided they really weren't that bad.

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I don't mind them. Everytime they come on with an announcement, somebody somewhere is finding out they need to take action to save their life. Think of how many lives this has saved. Or at least how many people it has helped. One of these times, it will probably be me.

9. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Odd, the regular reply button seems inoperable.

Anyway, yeah. It's a matter of priorities. You live in a flatland where there are frequent tornadoes, and if you own a house plus have a family, news like that is
    of more interest than it used to be.