Set/Unique Item Worshippers Tournament II

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
And my second death in the tourney signals the end of my participation

Man I really have to pay attention when I play.

Randazon got killed by an unraveller in one of the false tombs at level 26. Time to go hunt some more tournaments to play.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Melica was more than a little rusty, starting off in Crystalline Passage. Some regular packs of Infidels, snakes and archer women got killed, but my perfomance was more than a little crappy. That´s the danger of too long breaks, I guess...

Enter something way more dangerous: Infidel boss pack with a Blessed Aim CE Cursed boss. I tried to push back the boss with Blade Fury (holding Crushflange with its Knockback ability) but it hardly worked at all. Instead, the crappy blocking of Mil´s shield allowed the boss to score a bunch of consecutive hits. Probably the worst NDE Melica´s had so far!! It scared the crap out of me.

Back to town and down some thawing potions, getting the cold resist up to 95%. Nice. The boss pack fight was quite the dance (involving a couple of deaths for Geshef) but I controlled it pretty well. The good blocking of Sigon´s shield was the key. A couple of Meteors and lightning burst and the boss was in flee mode. Cloak of Shadows made it possible to take a minion at a time and still hit the boss now and then so it stayed in flee mode. No more problems after that. The River entrance Champs were snakes. I separated them apart with tactical retreats and then closed the distance with Dragon Flight (to prevent Charge attacks). Tanking a snake champ is no problem at all for Melica. The Evil Urns spawned archers. Two of those bosses were quite nasty, but since I can shut up all the minions with CoS, they were easily handled.

Frozen River had shambling undead, Frozen Horrors and Gloams. The three Evil Urns spawned Gloams, the first pack right on my position! Good thing I had summoned a Shadow there. I was busy fleeing so I never saw her get killed. She just vanished (not surprisingly, she has less than 500 life)...

The worst Gloam pack was not from an urn. When lightning streams Amp you, you know you have to be careful. I immediately got back to town to heal the curse. I lucked out on this boss, because it came flying without companions. Cursed FE Stone Skin. Melica pushed it into a corner and rained down Meteors. I actually chose to take the death explosion. I didn´t want to risk having the boss run away and out of control. Didn´t get amped during the fight, just by the death explosion (which shaved off very little life, just as I had hoped).

Malah´s scroll pushed the fire resistance up to 85%. :thumbsup:

Glacial Trail was calm at first, but a few steps from the entrance I saw about 10 Abominables strolling towards me. I dashed out of the entrance, then back. Managed to lure a few at a time to me. They were normal ones, so not much of a trouble (still annoying, since they are cold immune and have a stun attack). I built up a very large furry corpse pile close to the entrance. Felt good to have that in case some big nasty melee boss pack would be next. Turns out I didn´t need it since the other monster types were wussy Bone Mages and bats. Urns spawned mages. Very easy area overall.

Geshef was much less useful than normally this session, because 2/3 of the monster types were cold immune in all four areas I played.

Drifter Cavern is often scary in Hell. Started at the edge of the area, that´s always a plus. First pack was regular Ghosts. Next pack was a Hell Clan boss pack. Cold immune, Teleportation, Cursed, Extra Strong. No thanks to fighting it here in this small area. I Should probably have tried anyway. During my espace, I was close to being surrounded by ghosts and a second Hell Clan boss pack. Geshef took a brave (and fatal) stand, allowing Melica to flee to a small island and TP out. Only a couple of Ghosts had followed.

The danger was not over yet, but at least it was more like 'panic with partial control' now :grin:, handling that goat pack, Ghost Champs and archer women. After that part was clear, I could lure the Cursed Extra Strong goat out to the central island and trap in on a little peninsula, then make it suffer with Blade Fury across the river. Having a ranged attack is an absolute bliss in this tournament. I would´ve had that with any character now (remember The Scalper?).

Conqueror Melica the PS Assassin and Geshef the Cold Wolf, Level 83, 16 S/U items equipped, Frozen Tundra next

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Back to town and down some thawing potions, getting the cold resist up to 95%. Nice.
Nice.
The worst Gloam pack was not from an urn. When lightning streams Amp you, you know you have to be careful.
So, these guys do part physical damage? Or were you just wary of other potential mods besides the Curse? (e.g. CEFE). I've read they are part physical but my thinking is they're purely elemental.
Having a ranged attack is an absolute bliss in this tournament. I would´ve had that with any character now (remember The Scalper?).
Yes, it's a rare blessing. I remember wishing for a Scalper. I remembered it every time Max ran a cowardly lap around a looping block of Hell WSK, pecking away with brief melee attacks against an Extra Strong Cursed Frenytaur boss. Ranged OW can solve any problem.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
So, these guys do part physical damage? Or were you just wary of other potential mods besides the Curse? (e.g. CEFE). I've read they are part physical but my thinking is they're purely elemental.
I was under the impression that their physical attack was added on top of the lightning stream. For me, it at least feels like they do more damage when I´m amped, they have Might, etc.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Very easy clearances of Frozen Tundra (Hell Spawn, Bone Archers and mages) and Infernal Pit (Salamanders, Hell Witches and Doom/OB Knights). I switched to non-stop Blade Fury in the Infernal Pit. Slow but safe.

Ancients´Way had spearwomen, Spike Fiends and Bone Mages. Somewhat of a hectic start with two early boss packs of spearwomen but I soon had some healthy space secured.

The first Evil Urn had mages in it. Nasty Conviction Multishot boss that had Melica use Blade Fury while Geshef tanked the shots (I fed him 4 full rejuves to keep him alive...).

More than half of the area cleared, and still no sign of the WP or any of the exits. That´s good, it means there is probably a short distance from WP to exit for the Ancients sesseion. Alas, there was not going to be an Ancients session...
:hanky:

Melica was mopping up some porcupines and a mage when she apparently took a few steps into new territory. A HORDE of spearwomen swarmed her in about half a second. As you can see from the grisly death screenshot the CoS timer had not run out. Instinct had me use CoS (which of course wasn´t working) and pull back a bit. As you know, almost all monster attacks hit when you are running and you are still within reach of their attacks). I pressed the rejuve button very close to the exact moment it was over. :cry:

Conqueror Melica the PS Assassin and Geshef the Cold Wolf, Level 83, 16 S/U items equipped, Ancients´Way, slain by about a dozen spearwomen. R.I.P.

(Sigh.)

Looks like I still have a long way to go for my SPF tourney septavirate (no Assassin or Pally even in NM now...). Oh well, back to Burt the Green with Envy Druid!

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah, crap...

Jabbarogues!! Blink, and they're on you in an instant. The mottled blue on blue background doesn't help either. Hopefully that wimpy mage got burnt up in the meteor wake. It's easy to get caught up chasing such a wimp, and run into a snare.

Oh well, maybe you'll have a better result in the Green tourney. :smiley: