Set/Unique Item Worshippers Tournament II

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Set/Unique Item Worshippers Tournament II

And, it returns. This was, without a doubt, my favorite tournament I participated in. And, by the gaming gods, I _will_ make a Guardian this time!

S/U Worshippers Tournament #1

And now the rules, graciously stolen from the first tournament, with two minor changes:

Set & Unique Worshipper Tourney Rules:

§1. Characters are Hardcore. Version 1.10/1.11. RWM/RRM may be used, but only Runewords that are able to be created unpatched can be used.... while you can. *cue evil laughter*

§2. You may use ATMA as an extended stash for socket fillers and Set/Unique items only.

§3. You may not use Save & Exit to escape death, unless it happens during a move to a "new" area (see §5).

§4. You may distribute stat points (or save them for later) as you see fit. Exception: if you find a set/unique item (see §10) that you don´t meet the STR/DEX requirements for and you have no other S/U such item (boots, for example), you will have to add all points to the lacking stat until you can equip that item (unless you find another S/U such item with less requirements before that has happened).

§5. There will be NO repeating/farming/running of areas/bosses/chests etc. Recommended methods are to either 1.) Clear an area, get the waypoint and the next time run from the waypoint to the next area without killing anything, or 2.) Run to the waypoint without killing anything and next session start from waypoint and clear that area (only recommended for small areas and those with a known waypoint location (Travincal, Cold Plains, the Cloisters)). However, you may use method 1.) and clear a path from waypoint to exit if you must do so to stay safe, but don´t pick up any items that drop during this "transport". You may also kill off monsters that happen to follow you into the "new" territory, but don´t lure them out there on purpose.

§6. You may skip areas and return later to clear them. You can even go back to an earlier difficulty to clear areas you have skipped earlier. If you fiddle a lot with skipping areas, keep notes about where you have not been.

§7. Any /players setting is allowed, and you may change it any time you wish.

§8. You may not choose which character class you play. That will be chosen at random. If you roll a "Crap, I don´t want to play a ..."-character, you get one reroll, but then you have to take what that roll gives you. This is called a minor mulligan.

§9. If your character dies in Act 1 or Act 2 Normal, you get one more chance. This is the major mulligan. When/if you start a second character, you can also take a minor mulligan if you like.

§10. (This is the real kicker in the tourney). Whenever you find a set/unique item for a certain item slot (that doesn´t have one already), you HAVE to equip that item. It can only be replaced by another set/unique item in that item slot (if you have more than one S/U item for a certain slot, you can choose and switch between them as you like). The total number of equipped S/U items must be as high as possible. This includes the weapon switch and the mercenary. It is OK to put away a crappy S/U weapon in the weapon switch and use whatever weapon you like, until the slots are filled. You will probably at some time have to adapt the choice of mercenary after what items you have. You may not sell S/U items that may later allow you to equip more S/U items. Be especially wary with shields and one-handed swords (all one-handers if you´re a barbarian!), since the act 3 merc uses those (since he can equip both, an Iron Wolf will most likely be your end game mercenary).

§11. To prevent caster/cookie cutter characters from totally dominating this tourney, the skill point choices have a large random element to them. Every third level you achieve (the 3rd, 6th, 9th, etc.), you can place as you wish (or save it for later). You may also place rewarded skill points from the Den of Evil/Radamant/Izual as you wish. All other skill points (the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th levels, etc.) will be determined at random, and those points may not be saved. Hint: use your "free" points wisely, to increase your chances for the random ones to go where you want them.

New participants are allowed at any time (as long as there is interest). When you write your updates, I want you to mention:

* The name and class of the character. This is only really needed when they are introduced, but it won´t hurt.
* What level they have reached.
* How far into the game they have reached.
* How many set/unique items that are equipped.

Here is a class list to help determine what class you should play with your roll:

1-Amazon
2-Assassin
3-Barbarian
4-Druid
5-Necromancer
6-Paladin
7-Sorceress

The game begins now! May all your drops be gold and green!

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
[b][u]1.11[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]

[b]Assassins[/b]
Nyx (erimatbrad), 0 S/U items equipped, level 1, Act I N

[b]Barbarians[/b]

[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
Code:
[b][u]1.10[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]

[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]

[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
Update whatever table is relevant with your posts. If there aren't a lot of 1.10 players, we can consolidate. (And, when you're hiring a Cold Wolf at level 72, you'll probably want 1.11!)

So, I was really hoping to throw a paladin to take one all the way this game. Alas, I did not. My first throw was a Druid, so I decided to risk it and hope for a Paladin. A cursed 2 came up, which drops me right to Nyx the Assassin. I'm not sure what build to shoot for yet... I'm tempted by a hybrid BF/Traps, but it all depends on where the random points start falling.

Stargaze

Diabloii.Net Member
Just one question regarding the random skill points: How exactly will you randomly place them?

- Randomly chose any skill currently available?
- Randomly chose any skill available for the given level but disregarding prerequisites? In this case, does one
--- have to place free skillpoints in prerequisites asap
--- not have to place free skillpoints in prerequisites, but cannot use the unspent random points elsewhere
- Randomly chose any skill, disregarding level and prerequisites. In this case, does one
--- have to place free skillpoints in prerequisites asap
--- not have to place free skillpoints in prerequisites, but cannot use the unspent random points elsewhere
- Randomly chose a number of skills which are allowed at the beginning of the tournament

SG

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
[b][u]1.11[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]

[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]
Hap (Gabriel74),  0 S/U items equipped, level 1, Act I N
[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
Code:
[b][u]1.10[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]

[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]

[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
So, I guess I'll get in on this, I rolled a 3, decided to go with it. Maybe an Iron barb, with masteries there are A LOT of randoms that are always open, so I may end up having all my random points in all the various weapons.

Wolron

Diabloii.Net Member
Some questions:

Is the scoring simply the number of S/U that your character is wearing? Or is there some award for number of WPs/Quests/-levels, etc.?

Do you have to find all WPs and do all Quests? Also, do you have to do full clears? If so, what is definition of "full clear".

I would reiterate Stargaze's concern over how to randomly assign skill points. There must be a set number of rules to follow to guide a person toward the random selection. I would suggest the following:
(1) Randomly select one of the three skill trees.
(2) Then look at that tree and list the possible skills that can be assigned. Early in the game, this may only be two or three, but later it could be all of them. Generate a random number accordingly to select one of the skills.

Are people responsible for their own random rolls, or will this be provided by another participant?

Are there any rules for how to generate the random number? I know there is a web site for it. Dice could be used. Other methods are also available.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Stargaze said:
Just one question regarding the random skill points: How exactly will you randomly place them?
<snip!>
This is how I meant for it to work in the first tourney, so I assume that´s the way it´s supposed to work.

As the defending champion, I feel obliged to participate.
Say hello to Melica the Assassin.
(Excellent roll! Assassin is one of the three classes I need for my SPF tourney septavirate, and they have a whole bucket of one/few-point wonder skills. Melica will make a good backup to Selena the Skilless, should Selena bite it in Hell)

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Stargaze said:

This is correct.

When you level up, you'll roll (you can go to random.org for this) a number from 1-x, where x is the number of skills that can have points placed in them.

Part of the strategy of this game is saving up the points you can place at will, and let the random rolls fill up pre-reqs. This can also bite you in the end, though.

So, for example, with Nyx, I'll roll a 1d5 when she hits level 2, number the skills thusly:

1-Tiger Strike
2-Dragon Talon
3-Claw Mastery
4-Psychic Hammer
5-Fire Blast

Whatever I roll, gets a point in it. You can number the skills however you want, but be consistent. I generally do a left to right, top to bottom, for each tab. You can do it however you see fit, though.

Wolron said:
Some questions:

Is the scoring simply the number of S/U that your character is wearing? Or is there some award for number of WPs/Quests/-levels, etc.?
Winner is whoever gets the farthest. There could be multiple winners.

Wolron said:
Do you have to find all WPs and do all Quests? Also, do you have to do full clears? If so, what is definition of "full clear".
You can skip any WPs, Quests and Areas that you'd like. I'd not suggest it, because you'll quickly become too low level to survive in Hell with crappy equipment. A "clear" of an area is defined by, essentially, killing the monsters in an area. For larger ones (act 5 outdoors), you can clear up to the WP, stop for the day, and restart at the next day going forward from the WP. Basic common sense applies. Think of it like Diablo I. Once something is dead, it stays dead.

Wolron said:
I would reiterate Stargaze's concern over how to randomly assign skill points. There must be a set number of rules to follow to guide a person toward the random selection.

Are people responsible for their own random rolls, or will this be provided by another participant?
Some clarification was provided. It's easier for the flow if everyone makes their own rolls, because skill placement will make asking for rolls highly erratic as the game goes on, because everyone will have a different number of skills. Use random.org or real dice, if you have enough of the right shape. :)

jiansonz said:
As the defending champion, I feel obliged to participate.
Say hello to Melica the Assassin.
Hi, Melica! Good to see you here, jiansonz. Wouldn't be the same tournament without you.

Wolron

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, how ever my questions are answered, I will participate. I used a random number generator from "Minitab" to generate my numbers. The first character selection was Necromancer. I hate to play them, so I used my minor mulligan and got Amazon.

RiverSue is in!
I like the idea of Bowazon, but who knows, let the fates decide.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Wolron said:
RiverSue is in!
I like the idea of Bowazon, but who knows, let the fates decide.
I hate to break it to you, but you are quite unlikely to be allowed the use of a bow for long (say, far into NM) since they are two-handed. So the skills in the bow tree will be wasted in the long-term perspective.

Unless you are very lucky and find a unique javelin, that skill tree will also be useless eventually.

Don´t let that bring you down, though! Insane Wayne took 3rd place with an amazon in the first S/U Worship tourney; he made it to Tal´s tombs in Hell. The game had to resort to the FE bug to kill his amazon. :grin:
(she died an instadeath when she was standing too close to a Might + FE + LE Unraveler boss)

Billybgame

Diabloii.Net Member
My question would be when is the expected end of the tourney? I don't see that info. I want to concentrate on my TWD characters for the last few months of that tourney. But, I'm interested in this one, as I didn't do/wasn't around, the last time.

Thanks.

ElmoCorruptsChildren

Diabloii.Net Member
Hooboy, another tournament! The last two I've been in are a skill-less and a random class/single tree tourneys, so at least this one gives you the chance to use any skill... eventually.

Rolled a 4 for a dr00d, but I excercised my first mini mulligan and ended up with a 1. Please let me introduce my new Amazon, Mama_ZanRondo (anagramed "Random Amazon").

Code:
[b][u]1.11[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]
Mama_ZanRondo (ECC), 0 S/U items equipped, level 1, Act I N
[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]
[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
Code:
[b][u]1.10[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]

[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]

[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
I've never done a full clear, no rerun character before, so this'll be interesting to say the least. GL, all!

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
@Wolron--- Considering the large number of crappy S/U shields and one-handers, I'd be amazed if you made it far into Act 3 Normal with a bow. IIRC I was in the Spider Forest when I had to give up my Ichorstring Crossbow. Plan for your zon having no attack skills available. I spent saved points in valk and used a cold mage, a combo I know you can handle. Suffering from poor damage output, my zon sought Crushing Blow S/U gear, and found it with "Cleglaw's Brace" full set, which was cool.

------------

Since I still have a promising S/U barb in the original tourney (Act 4 Nightmare), I'll not be joining this round. Good luck.

edit: a tip about imbues: don't save your first imbue for long, since they're quickly worthless. I think I used mine on an ethereal pike for my Act 2 merc (didn't get to use him very long).

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member
I was sorry to have missed the first round, so I'm in, too! The dice say I get a paladin...

Code:
[b][u]1.11[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]
Mama_ZanRondo (ECC), 0 S/U items equipped, level 1, Act I N
[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]
[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]

[b]Sorceresses[/b]
Code:
[b][u]1.10[/b][/u]
[b]Amazons[/b]

[b]Assassins[/b]

[b]Barbarians[/b]

[b]Druids[/b]

[b]Necromancers[/b]

[b]Paladins[/b]
Gibsu (jgreg7),  0 S/U items equipped, level 1, Act I N

[b]Sorceresses[/b]

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Billybgame said:
My question would be when is the expected end of the tourney? I don't see that info. I want to concentrate on my TWD characters for the last few months of that tourney. But, I'm interested in this one, as I didn't do/wasn't around, the last time.

Thanks.
Tournament ends.... whenever interest does. The last one ran for well over a year, really.

So, please, finish your TWD characters and then come join us when you're finished. There's no deadline for enrollment!

It's good to see interest starting to form -- once we start telling our exploits (zOMG, j00 killed Baal wit a Rixot's Keen Gladius?!?!), surely people will start pouring in...

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
I rolled a 5 so that means a Necromancer... I'll sign up Desty_Nova for now, but my play time is relatively infrequent so my updates will be few and far between.

Sounds like a great tourney and very interesting. I'm half expecting to see 2H sword drop and then have to devote my points to equip it.

I think it's safe to say I won't be using a wand/totem for long!

Wolron

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
I hate to break it to you, but you are quite unlikely to be allowed the use of a bow for long (say, far into NM) since they are two-handed. So the skills in the bow tree will be wasted in the long-term perspective.

Unless you are very lucky and find a unique javelin, that skill tree will also be useless eventually.

Don´t let that bring you down, though! Insane Wayne took 3rd place with an amazon in the first S/U Worship tourney; he made it to Tal´s tombs in Hell. The game had to resort to the FE bug to kill his amazon. :grin:
(she died an instadeath when she was standing too close to a Might + FE + LE Unraveler boss)
Ahhh, now I see a rule that was not obvious at first. If I have a shield and one handed weapon, I have to use it even if I have a unique or set bow that I would rather use. Of course to be completely accurate, I would have to have two shields and two one handed weapons to be completely frozen out of using that bow. I guess I could further extend the use of the bow by getting an Act 3 merc, but once I found the third set of shield/One handed weapon...

Well, considering that my only guardian came with an Amazon who used a unique throwing axe to kill Hell Baal, I guess this is no big deal. But, I sure am glad to understand this before I spend any of my free points!

Yeah, this is going to be fun!

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
erimatbrad said:
It's good to see interest starting to form -- once we start telling our exploits (zOMG, j00 killed Baal wit a Rixot's Keen Gladius?!?!), surely people will start pouring in...
:laugh: Funny you mentioned that... My exhibition barb in the original tourney found Rixot's in the Act 1 Mausoleum, and actually did use it against the Act Bosses in Normal (double swung with Crushflange). Most of the time I forced my mage to carry it. It was not discarded until Act 3 Nightmare (Meph dropped a Fleshrender). I never upgraded Rixot's, maybe someone new will try that out. Why stop at Gladius, how about a Rixot's Falcata? :grin:

The point is, don't discount anything! I found effective uses for items I would normally scoff at (e.g. Ironstone and Cleglaw's Claw) which taught me a lot about the game.

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
:laugh: Funny you mentioned that... My exhibition barb in the original tourney found Rixot's in the Act 1 Mausoleum, and actually did use it against the Act Bosses in Normal (double swung with Crushflange). Most of the time I forced my mage to carry it. It was not discarded until Act 3 Nightmare (Meph dropped a Fleshrender). I never upgraded Rixot's, maybe someone new will try that out. Why stop at Gladius, how about a Rixot's Falcata? :grin:

The point is, don't discount anything! I found effective uses for items I would normally scoff at (e.g. Ironstone and Cleglaw's Claw) which taught me a lot about the game.
Seven had a Rixot's that he used for quite a while, but eventually switched it for a Bloodrise, which he eventually upgraded. Which remained his weapon until Act 2 coughed up a Djinn Slayer. And then, of course, he died in Act 3, getting very little use out of it.

Ah, memories. :)

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
Funny you mentioned that... My exhibition barb in the original tourney found Rixot's in the Act 1 Mausoleum, and actually did use it against the Act Bosses in Normal (double swung with Crushflange).
Rixot's + Crushflange + Double Swing = 50% crushing blow per attack! Now that would be effective!

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
jgreg7 said:
Rixot's + Crushflange + Double Swing = 50% crushing blow per attack! Now that would be effective!
.....me drooling...... Unfortunately, CB on different weapons does not stack. 25% for Rixot's. 33% for Crushflange. Still effective when you consider the IAS with Double Swing.

@erimatbrad--- Ah yes... the Bloodrise. A capable weapon featuring OW. :thumbsup: