Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

/Set Player 1+

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Stri, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

/Set Player 1+

Hello chaps,

I’m sorry in advance. I’m sure this has been asked a million times. To summarize. If I up the /set player variable from 1 it will actually decrease the chance of good drops while increasing XP and money.

Is this correct?

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Re: /Set Player 1+

Negative.....

3. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

Ok, drop rate won't be affected?

Can anyone else share their opinion?

Thanks

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Drop rate does not decrease when you add more players through the Players x command.

It increases everything as if you had x number of players in the game, this includes number of monsters, hp levels drops for a 1+ player game as opposed to a one player game.

The only thing that will be unaffected is any monster already spawned. That is for example, if you went into The Bood Moor, and ran around and went to Bishibosh, stand by him and type /players 8, Bishibosh and his mobs will be unaffected because you spawned them befor eentering the /Players command, now if you went into The Den of Evil (or even better, The Pits) after typing /Players x...it would be generated as if there were x number of players in game.

So again, the Players X Command does not decrease the chance of good drops. That's a myth.

5. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

Ah doesn't matter. I forgot it's a MP char anyway. Won't make any difference

6. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

I do think I'll start a new char though. Thanks guys

7. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

Hello all,

I had a go last night. Good fun. I tried it on 8 players but I found that that was ok until I got into the catacombs. Then I got raped.

I've dropped it down to 5 players and it's a nice challenge. God knows what it'll be like when I get to nightmare.

8. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

To be a little clearer - it decreases the chance for a monster to drop nothing as the players increase.

It's isn't that it decreases your chances, but the majority of monsters likely to drop sets/uniques have the same chance regardless of the number of players, thus adding players slows you down.

However, some (if not all) Act Bosses have a chance of nodrop.

When looking for gems/charms/runes/jewels, increasing the players helps as it cycles through more drops (charms and jewels are guaranteed at least magical, so mf not needed). Also, when looking for socketed and socketable items, regular monsters will drop more and thus better chance for them (as champions and higher drop items at least magical).

To Summarize

When looking for sets/uniques, player 1 is generally most efficient, since the targets most likely to drop them are going to drop them regardless of 1 player or 8.

When XP is a priority, or you're primary focus isn't on sets/uniques, adding players is ideal.

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

your odds are still higher at players 8
    but your killing speed might go down

fewer monsters dropping nothing = more monsters dropping something

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Stri, please do not create multiple successive postings like your three in a row her. You can edit your posts for quite some time.

11. SeCKSEgai

When killing speed goes down, so do drops if the slowdown is significant.

For example, the chance of a regular monster to drop a green sacred armor is astronomical. While increasing players will improve upon that number, its still an extremely thin chance.

On the flipside, a unique will have a much better chance and that chance doesn't change regardless of players, as its drop is set (one magic or better item for most, though the superuniques like in the throne have their own treasureclasses so its not always that simple).

When increasing drops from regulars, more than anything you'll see improvements in charms, gems, jewels, runes - as they are unaffected by MF.

But again, the biggest drawback is killing speed. While some builds see little difference between player 1 and player 7, the majority will see a noticeable slowdown - that time could instead be better applied to a new run.

12. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

Sure. No problems

13. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

First

It was an honest mistake and don't see how I was 'overdoing it'

And, let's address your points each at a time shall we:

Wow, impressive, no wait...

The issue of you being moderator was never in question. Closing a thread because I broke the rule (accidentally) is heavy handed.

Again demonstrating that you could have been even more heavy handed doesn't demonstrate anything.

Yes, yes. You've made that clear already.

I'll admit that I should have know the rules. That said it was a mistake and an honest one.

Easy mistake to make. I'm a little stunned and amused that it's been felt necessary to rattle on about it so long.

Way to make me feel welcome...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Stri, I asked you not to spam multiple posts yet you did it again right after saying sure no problem.

You are allowed to edit your posts as well as multi quote posts using the + button.

Do it again and I'll close the thread.

15. SeCKSEgai

While some moderators can be a bit over the top, I can assure you if Gorny is warning you about something then you're really overdoing it.

16. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Heavy?

I could have closed the thread without warning, as I have the authority to do so.

I could have temp banned you for three days. That would be heavy for something such as this.

I could have given you an infraction/warning that sticks to your profile. that would be heavy for something like this.

It's not that you acknowleged something, it's the fact that you went ahead and did it again after acknowledging it.

I don't believe I was being heavy handed at all, and I could have locked the thread without any warning at all, and believe me, we do lock threads without warning...as it is up to you the forum member to know and abide by the forum rules, not knowing or not bothering to read them them is no excuse to break them.

17. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Nothing I've read, including the wiki and Arreat Summit, say that the number of monsters is increased by the /px command. Are you sure about this?

18. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Positive.

If you're playing with one player, then try it with 8 and notice the number of monsters.

Ever notice the difference in the number of mobs in a one player gaem versus one with eight?

I used to see it all the time when I ran the pits.

19. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I always thought that there were greater numbers the higher the players setting, but I just thought that was a perception thing, ie greater HP and do more damage = more monsters. Funny how none of the official sources mention this.

20. Stri

Stri IncGamers Member

Further to this, I've been playing and I've just finished Normal on players 8 and it was a good challenge.

I've just started on Nightmare players 8 and even the den of evil is tough.

Is it possible to solo the game on Nightmare/Hell on players 8?

I imagine it'd be rather tough.