Sept Sept Finished & Summary

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Sept Sept Finished & Summary

Wow, what an achievement NF. I must give props because ur Fishymancer guide was the first I tried when I first came to the forums. Thx and all the best. C U in D3!

Sp3c

Diabloii.Net Member

Excellent achievement :) Thanks for giving us some great guides and interesting guardian threads to read!

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

Add my name to the roster of "Wow, congratulations!"

You're certainly one of the legends around here. It's amazing to see such wonderful feats, but it's bitter-sweet now that you say you're in retirement.

Hopefully we'll be able to call you Brett Favre the day you decide to work on a new project. :thumbup:

Now do a naked sept! [equips shin guards, wallet pocket protector, indestructible belt of holding, and IP address scrambler]

maxgerin

Diabloii.Net Member

tldr

But, congrats on the last two! You're an inspiration for many generations of Diablo players. Your persistence, strong will, skills and great sense for writing all these Guardian threads are what make you one of the top players in this game. I salute you :congrats:

This thread is worth of bookmarking, has lots of good information about builds. Thanks for everything.
QFT! :)

Just edited out Darkoooo's giebs part cause I'm hoping you'll make some more chars, even if they're replays.
I'm sure with all those Guardians, some can be improved...I hope...so we won't stop seeing some more Guardian threads from you.

But if turns out to be the last, may you then find a suitable replacement to channel your persistence. :thumbup:

Gratz! And see you around, Fishy! :wink:

...fishy...that reminds me...I haven't completed my Fishymancer for the longest time...must return to it and see it through

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations on the amazing accomplishment...and for teaching me what septivariate means (is this an actual word? After this it should be…).

Seriously, though...the Fishymancer is pretty much the most enjoyable character for me and I want to thank you for your detailed write-ups on him and all the other characters you've detailed over the years. It has certainly brought enjoyment to many (as evidence above). Hopefully D3 will reel you back in so that the rest of the community can continue to enjoy your intelligence and style.

Cheers and the best of luck in your future endeavors!

MYK

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Congratulations, Nightfish!

Thanks for all the awesome write ups and guides!

Best wishes,

~Myk

barren

Diabloii.Net Member

Awesome read! Been following your sept sept for years, nice to see it actually finished. Thus ends a truly epic chapter in spf history. Cheers until d3!

Jcakes

Diabloii.Net Member

I am going to add my name to the congrats and best wishes.

Your guides have always been an inspiration for newcomers and I imagine they will continue to be for years to come.

Good luck and we all hope to see you again in D3

AJK

Diabloii.Net Member

*small kick for great justice*

By Baranar's bathrobe! I was just passing by over here at the SPF and saw that you actually did it and finished your septuple sept. Wow. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us in such an insightful and often humorous way. :)

RIP

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry for reviving this thread, but i missed it somehow...Thats funny :crazyeyes:
Funny because i've been reading all Your guardian threads till now, NF, but i missed the most important one...

So, Your unbeliavable quest is done, i can only say big congrats and thank You for sharing You experience from play with us :thumbup:

As for characters, it seems that i like and dislike same chars as You do...O.k, there is one small exception, while speaking about paladins, but i agree with You in general...

Again congrats and hopefully we will see You around sometimes :thumbup:

Sacred Mercenary

Diabloii.Net Member

Wow mate, impressive stuff. Congrats on doing what most people wouldn't have the skill or patience to do. From a newbie's point of view that's pretty much legendary. I'm using one of your guides for my very first character and no doubt I'll take some more advice from your threads again sometime. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks again guys :) I certainly don't mind thread revival in general. I cannot count the number of PMs I had to answer when people had questions about a guide I wrote but chose not to revive the thread... Not that I mind people asking... it's just a little bit inconvenient to have that done via PM.

Funny because i've been reading all Your guardian threads till now, NF, but i missed the most important one...
He, most important is a matter of perspective :) To me, the more important guardians were the earlier ones when I was still learning. The later ones were pretty much routine.

Again congrats and hopefully we will see You around sometimes :thumbup:
Probably ;) Doubt there will be any more guardian threads, because even if I did play another one, I would just hax myself a lvl 70 character to skip normal and nightmare. But I'll be around from time to time, just to check on things.

Sacred Mercenary said:
Wow mate, impressive stuff. Congrats on doing what most people wouldn't have the skill or patience to do. From a newbie's point of view that's pretty much legendary. I'm using one of your guides for my very first character and no doubt I'll take some more advice from your threads again sometime. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.
He, glad you found something helpful in my various posts :) Funny that you should mention patience. I have very little of that in the traditional sense of slow playing and what not.

Zefimas

Diabloii.Net Member

And so the quest ends...
Wow, really incredible:crazyeyes:
I don't think you fully realise the impact you have on this forum and all the people in it... Neither do I, but to me this is just legendary, you're a true beacon of inspiration. Really Nightfish, congrats on such an exceptional achievement, hope to see you around and all the best in whatever you do!

Cheers to you!

Edit: and a small question, with your whirling assassin, did you use lightning sentry a lot, or was it just DS?
Because hell was played on P1 I guess it's DS, but I wondered if maybe with your gear you could come close to the effectiveness of a pure trapper with the LS skill. Just asking because I plan such a char;)

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, the LS is pretty good still. I cleared the chaos sanctuary pretty much exclusively with that, obviously I don't want to WW when I might eat an IM curse. Also, if I remember well, I used the traps to level until I could equip my chaos.

Like always with synergies, the more you get, the less they do for you. From an unfinished guide of mine, consider:

"Sally maxes her main attack skill and together with items that just so happens to come out at 1000 Damage

Now, Sally puts some points in synergies. Each point is 10% worth of Damage. I'll be listing the points Sally spends on synergies and her resulting damage to show a pattern:

0 Points: 1000 Damage
10 Points: 2000 Damage
20 Points: 3000 Damage
30 Points: 4000 Damage
40 Points: 5000 Damage

At first glance this doesn't say much, 10 points, 1000 damage more than before. But now consider the relative increase in power.

0 Points: 1000 Damage
10 Points: 2000 Damage (+100%)
20 Points: 3000 Damage (+50%)
30 Points: 4000 Damage (+33%)
40 Points: 5000 Damage (+25%)"

This is pretty much what happens with LS here as well. The numbers are damn close as well. I got the 100% and the 50% steps, and "miss out" on the 33% and 25% steps. But that's okay. It's not completely accurate as LS synergies add 12% if I remember well, but it's close enough.

Of course I surrender something to a pure trapper. My WWsin is laid out to be WW primary, traps secondary. Otherwise there'd be no point in having WW in the first place.

The key thing here is that physical damage mods are incompatible with +skill mods, they almost never happen on the same items. So, it's either or. Of course the pure trappers traps are better, but WW is very fun to use and it beats standing around while you wait for the LS to kill something. I suppose a pure trapper can throw fire blasts...

Anyway, the the main reason I got the traps was to deal with things I could not deal with with WW, and they do that very well. I've used the 20/20 LS/DS "half-sin" more than once and was never disappointed. It's as solid as the 20 LF "half-zon" or the 20/1 FO/CM "half-sorc", if a tad more expensive.

Zefimas

Diabloii.Net Member

Aha, thank you for the informative answer, especially the 100%, 50%... theory is something I must confess I never really thought about:/
Again, thanks, and a little /bow to you

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, the interesting thing isn't how much damage your stat screen shows, but how often you need to hit something to kill it. If something has 4000 HP, you need to hit it 4 times with 1000 damage, you need to hit it twice with 2000 damage. but you still need to hit it twice with 3000 damage, so you effectively gained nothing there. That's where my thinking along the lines of relative power increase comes from.

Thadar

Diabloii.Net Member

NF,

I haven't been around for a while now and when I come back, it's just to see the end of an era. I read your original guard posts and remember when this quest of yours started. It's great to see you finish an epic journey and I wish you well from here on out.

Congrats mate. You earned it.

Thadar

Penthar

Diabloii.Net Member

Very late to the party, but I wanted to offer my congratulations anyway. So, congratulations Nightfish, and so long and thanks for all the fish, err, great contributions to this community :).

I also have a question. I read somewhere in this thread that Nightfish finishes the entire game (if I understood correctly) in 8 to 12 hours. How on earth do you finish the game that fast? It takes me much longer than that to even finish normal...

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member

I read somewhere in this thread that Nightfish finishes the entire game (if I understood correctly) in 8 to 12 hours. How on earth do you finish the game that fast?
I've always wondered that as well. Its safe to assume that NF doesn't bother with Blood Raven, rescuing Cain, killing the Countess, etc. And he almost certainly doesn't stop to pick anything up unless its a S/U that he knows he needs. He's a fast aggressive player - but even so -that's an incredibly short time.